Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Ha, yeah, try doing that with an iPod. I can't even jog with it in my pocket without those cruddy little headphones falling out.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
How about a iBook Ad? Market it as an iPod accessory. Apple please show some screenshots of Tiger and what it can do. Show the high-end stuff with serious commericals too.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Argh, come on Apple, enough with the stupid iPod silhouettes already! There's nothing new about them, and they're certainly not appropriately promoting the 'roll-out' of new iTunes Music Stores for Australia, Switzerland and Norway!

Bring back Jeff Goldblum and start pushing some Macs and that new OS that's apparently a year ahead of its competition... what was its name again? :rolleyes:

ebunton

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Sydney
eww

How boring!
The song is so unlively for this ad... and this ad seems so pointless now. I think whatever effect they wanted from the silhouette campaign has been achieved. It just gets "tired" from here.

hoppo99

macrumors member
May 8, 2005
London, UK
I'm not sure that bring back Jeff Goldblum as you say would do anything other than put people off. As far as I can with these iPod ads Apple is marketing the lifestyle and the image of the device. There are better and cheaper digital music players about but none of them can match the Apple in the image stakes which is why the iPod has become such an iconic device.

With regards to pushing Macs, I'm sure that they will soon, but marketing the iPod is also helping sell Macs by generating awareness and with often noted 'Halo effect' which is now beginning to be seen.

I'm sure Apple is being very careful to get the right pitch for Mac ads between promoting features and trying not to be seen as being geeky and uncool. They're not trying to appeal to Mac users after all, it the PCs users who've possibly bought an iPod they want to attract.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
PC users who own iPods don't need to be sold iPods.

I'm an apologist for Apple's marketing strategy but even I'm getting worn out. The more people are hit over the head with the iPod, the more they are going to start resenting it - which will make the competition look good (even if they doesn't deserve it), leading to market share decline which ultimately will not be good for Apple shareholders' bottom line.

What they need to do now that the iPod has become such an icon is to start selling some Macs - especially to new switchers. Apple and Chiat/Day make fantastic ads that sell Macs - let's see some of those again, it's been a whole two years since the last one.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
i think apple has been working towards marketing macs for a while now..

the ipod: attracts lots of attention to apple
retail stores: promotes the cool-ness of apple even more, and allows people to experiment..
now, tiger: the finishing touches on what is already a great os..

i think apple were just waiting for all these factors to come in line - now they have, they can start working on ads..

let's hope that tbwa\chiat\day are working on a great campaign - as long as it doesn't have that omar dude from the panther launch! heh

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
I haven't seen the ad but the Gorillaz song is excellent... heavy rotation on the UK music channels from the legend that is Damon Albarn and his Gorillaz friends.

Gotta respect Apple for choosing such an ace song!

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
tom.96 said:
I haven't seen the ad but the Gorillaz song is excellent... heavy rotation on the UK music channels from the legend that is Damon Albarn and his Gorillaz friends.

Gotta respect Apple for choosing such an ace song!

You know when i first heard it, I really liked it, until the rap came in. Not that I'm against rap, but I find it is very detrimental to the song.

That having been said, I will still listen to the song a lot, I just won't like the rap part.

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
Sharewaredemon said:
You know when i first heard it, I really liked it, until the rap came in. Not that I'm against rap, but I find it is very detrimental to the song.

That having been said, I will still listen to the song a lot, I just won't like the rap part.

It is a big departure from Blur but I think the reason why it works (and the last Gorillaz LP) is because it is quite different from anything else out there at the mo. The mix of styles gives it that originality that makes it memorable, far more so than some other stuff today. Maybe Apple picked up on that originality and thought it complemented its products with the same ethos

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
kinda lackluster. maybe they should give rollerskates to new buyers when the buy an ipod!

but then we'd have all the original 5GB users complaining too ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Time to move on Apple, everyone knows how great the iPod is, let's start showing the masses how good everything else is - iMacs, iBooks, iLife, OS X - come on, you have lots to choose from!

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I really like that song so the ad worked for me. Its about the extent of rap that i will listen to. Aside from the song in Office Space :p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
eva01 said:
I really like that song so the ad worked for me. Its about the extent of rap that i will listen to. Aside from the song in Office Space :p

The song was okay, but everything else just seemed so bland. I guess maybe rollerskating fanatics would enjoy it more, but to me, the "dance moves", if you will, were boring and slow - the actual action in the commercial seemed quite lethargic. Just my opinion...

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Not as good as the one with the guy walking by the silhouette wall -- that showed the iPod more.

At least it's got more product factor than those Buick commercials where it looks like they are selling the woman, not the car.

Wigletbill

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
hmmm....

I don't think the problem is the silhouette ads I think the problem is in the amount they run these things. There is a coolness factor that is lost (how many times did we finally go 'ugh' to that shuffle ad?) the more it is run. The ads are no longer for the iPod as much as they are instructions for people on what should be playing on their iPod. Great tune by the way. In case you guys don't know the Gorillaz are a cartoon band. The video for this song is AMAZING.

I do wish they would push the computers more.

j

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
The iPod ads are getting old, there is no more magic in them anymore. When are we going to get something that sells the Mac instead of only iPod commercials?

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
I like it.
So much complaining!
I think the silhouette ads are doing their job quite well, last time I checked Apple was doing pretty well in the MP3 player market...
I say: if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
At least not until they come up with an equally innovative ad campaign, which I don't think is so easy.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
maxterpiece said:
ya'll know this isn't a new song right? It came out like four years ago.
Jerk it out by Ceasars wasn't a new song either when Apple started to use it. I think it came out in 2003.

wdw_

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2002
maxterpiece said:
ya'll know this isn't a new song right? It came out like four years ago.
It isn't? It's on the new Gorillaz album. I have it.

crawdad62

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Greencastle, IN
What they need now, especially since the iPod is well known, is marrying the iPod to the computer. An Apple computer. They need to show that iPod that everyone has or wants being hooked up to a nice Mini or iMac.

I'm surprised that they haven't tried it. There's probably quite a lot of people that haven't even seen an Apple computer or OSX and would probably be blown away.

But I guess they're doing something right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.