Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
My 7 month waiting for the 4g ipod has finally paid off if this happens. I will not be tweaked if there is no colrs and is not thinner. With the possibilty of prices dropping we could see the 15 GB sticking around.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Prices drops seem the most surprising, when the previous rumor was referring to prices staying at the current MSRP. But that rumor may turn out to be about the minis, and Apple would be crazy to lower the price on those with so much demand.

stoid

macrumors 601
I don't know about this. White iPods with colorful scroll-wheels? And cheaper?

I guess it'll further take demand of of the iPod minis. I don't think that they will lower the low-end price though, as they don't make much on them already. Maybe $299, $369, $449 or something at the same sizes out now and a 60GB version at $499. I think that they will stay with the white enclosure to keep them distinct but I would like to see them have the iPod mini type of scroll wheel.

There won't be new iPod mini's yet. Period. They can't even get enough of the current model until July 24th, so nothing new there.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I'm not so sure about the whole different colour scroll wheel idea. I like the current look - pure and classy.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
And I just got my Airport Express...

And now I have to buy a new iPod? Man This is getting expensive. Here is to hoping they come do in fact come out soon! Although if there is no knew features, I may have to pass :eek:

Can we get AirTunes into an iPod?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret reports that Apple is planning on released a "thinner, sleeker" white iPod on Monday, July 19th.

The new iPods are said to be roughly the same dimensions as the current standard (non-Mini) iPods, but slightly thinner and with a new scroll wheel design.

ThinkSecret cryptically reports that the announcement "will be delivered through an out-of-the-ordinary publicity medium".

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
This is cool, I bought a 3g 15gig the second they announced them. I have been thinking about ugrading. If I can now get a new 30gig for a decent price, I would upgrade.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
Sounds like not too big a change which is good by me as I won't make myself buy one, although I probably will when I see one :rolleyes: Interesting that these rumors seem to be so different from the last one.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Colorful scroll wheels on a white ipod sounds pretty bad... but I'll withhold judgment until I see it, given what apple has managed in the past.

I like the idea of going to a mini-like scroll wheel; I have a mini, and that button design is their best yet.

Prices won't drop. ipods are still in extremely high demand, almost more than apple can meet. Why drop prices? Higher capacity at the same prices would be nice, but at some point, who cares? I have 4 gigs of music... 20 gigs, 40 gigs, 60 gigs, 100 gigs... it's all the same to me.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
If they're cheaper this could be a terrific release. The only things have been holding me off from getting an ipod are the price and the fact that I don't need 15 gigs of space for $299. I'd get a mini but I don't want to wait for 6 months. :D

joejg

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2003
Well...I'm an apple newbie but here is some (maybe) interesting information. Last week I ordered a new powerbook and got a 15gig ipod with the student discount. The order status page had the powerbook and the protection care plan with shipping dates of " On or before 07/22/2004" which is a week after I ordered them. The ipod has not shipped and has a shipping date of "On or before 07/26/2004" which would be a week after this monday?

As I said before i'm an apple newbie (this is my first mac) so this might all be junk (corse...so could be the rumor), just thought I'd give you all that interesting information.

gropo

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2002
Queens, NYC
Announced via iTMS

Yeah I agree... Nuts-to-Testicles they announce them explicitly through iTMS. Awesome marketing move.

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
stoid said:
Out-of the-ordinary publicity medium means that it will be announced via the iTMS! :D
Good thinking. I had in mind maybe an interview on some news channel and Steve would bust out with them. Or maybe on Oprah! ;) But yea, iTMS sounds appropriate enough. Anyways, they are to be announced on Monday but TS said nothing about when they ship. JOEJG said his iPod order is to ship on or before 7/26 so maybe they'll ship later in the week or the week following the announcement. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

povvy

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2003
hmm..

How would they announce a new product via iTMS?

I am thinking the unusual means for introducing the new iPods will be through TV ads. That would sure get the word out.

Patrick.

Mac Boy-Canada

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2004
This is sounding good! I hope that the price reductions are significant, however, it doesn't seem likely. If the price reduction rumor is true, then we can say goodbye to colour screen and WiFi, like we were hoping for!

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
It would be really surprising if they are cheaper. May be they would upgrade the hard disk space in the same price. So now 300$ for 20 GB. No more 15 GB ones. :)

thediesel

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2004
I'm getting one, unless they announce some sort of videopod that will come out in the next few months. I am just hoping the battery will be significantly improved. That should have been their top priority, not just making it smaller or more colorful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.