Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
For those that say there isn't room for buttons without changing the size of the unit, here's an image, edited from an actual iPod image. The size of the iPod has not been modified...

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Did someone suggest a brushed metal look that matched iTunes?

(Don't ask me what the fifth button does, I just added it to make things look better... :D)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
If this is all there is to the update, I'll be disappointed. I was really, really hoping for a tuner. It's the iPod's one great short-coming, in my opinion...

:(

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Has anyone considered the idea of a 'button' or two facillitating INPUT in terms of PDA functionality? How hard could it be (especially for the studs at Apple) ?

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Originally posted by Flowbee
I'm not sure how moving between the scroll wheel and the row of buttons above *reduces* thumb movement. As currently configured, your thumb remains in close proximity to all of the buttons *and* the wheel at the same time. In addition, when using the iPod in your pocket (without looking) it's easy to know which button is which. I think a row of identical buttons might make the likelyhood of pressing the wrong one much higher.

The overall position of your thumb with the new design doesnt change much. With the old design, you have to bend your thumb underneath your hand to hit the hand-side button. Your thumb must provide a greater range of movement to touch all the buttons on the current design. With the new design, the buttons will be in a much smaller arc (? 70º). Previously, you had to (still do, as far as we know) essentially cover 360º. That's an ergonomic improvement in my mind.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Option-x, the approx. equals symbol isn't an ascii character (websafe) and won't render in a browser. I say this because when I wrote approx 70º it appeared as ? 70º. Nothing important, just laughing out loud (i know what lol means, I just like to write things out on a forum, abbreviations are for chatting).

Edit: And Western (Mac os Roman) encoding doesn't like the degree symbol (turns it into an integral). Facsinating, I'm going to have to start messing with my character encodings.

myrdred23

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Think Secret mentions that the lineup will still include the 10gb model, here's a quote:

'It is not known when the new models will be fully available to the public for sale, but it is expected they will debut the last week of April. It is expected that the 10GB version will be lowered in price to US$299, the 15GB version will retail for $399 and the 30GB version will cost $499. Apple could cut prices even slightly lower to spur interest at the last minute, but sources report that is unlikely."

Such a lineup seems strange to me, since the 15gb model isn't much of an improvement over the 10gb, however perhaps the 10gb uses the old style of ipod buttons (like the 5gb one used the old design before), but this is not clear from their article.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I wouldn't take those 4 buttons seriously: if ThinkSecret had info on what they did they'd have mentioned it--so those 4 functions are just an artists' conception. In reality, the buttons may LOOK like that now, but they probably DO what they always did:

menu - prev/rew - next/FF - play/pause

I do like the old look, but I bet the new way stops you from messing up the volume when you just want to pause or skip. Functionally better.

I hope the new music service is good and priced right--there are lots of individual songs I'd like--but if not, I don't need to use it so no harm done. And please remember, if you don't like the service price, keep in mind that it may be more the record companies than Apple!

All I really NEED to sell me on an iPod is AAC/MP4: more music, better quality.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
This makes me want to have a new iPod! ;)

Any word on if the back of the iPod will still be chrome or not?

Monkeypoo

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2003
90 - 30
Here's one thing I hope for: I want that remote control cord to be shorter. I'm sure it's great for the tall people but I swear that I could jump rope with the earphones and remote control cords connnected at the length they now are. Why not just make it all one cord now that a revision is supposedly coming out?
I think I like the way the old ipods look but those two that snowy posted looked pretty good. I think I like the look of the first encasement (not a big fan of brushed metal on the ipod) but the button arrangement of the brushed metal one. And the 5th button could be a fun little thing that says "I'm an ipod and I could kick your A$$ if I didn't pity you!"
I guess if there are all these buttons added, then those fun iskins and what not will now be useless pieces of plastic and I so wanted the blue glowing iskin too!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Doesn't look too bad to me

Doesn't look too bad to me... (My Photoshop--not a real image--based on the same 4 button functions as the old iPod.)

EDIT: Snowy beat me to it! Like that one, this has the size of iPod AND wheel unchanged--so it does indeed all fit. And looking at it, I like that your thumb never has to bend awkwardly down to the bottom of the iPod, it can stay around the middle.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
USB + Firewire is good

Hey, remember Macwhispers reported on a cable being made for Apple that was both Firewire and USB? We may have the answer to that one now!

Also--I hope the Mac version has USB also--Macs will eventually have USB 2, Apple has said they are keeping an eye on the possibility. And a USB 2 device WILL work with USB 1 computers anyway (more slowly). Why would I want USB if I have Firewire? Because many of our Macs do NOT have Firewire--and this would make iPod a more universal portable HD.

holy MAC!

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2003
usb2 in future macs???? 15.4 pbooks?

hey, if apple introduces usb2 into the ipod...... why not into the 15 albook?

also, i seriously doubt the ipod will have an actual usb2 port, rather a firewire with a cable with usb2 at the other side.... (the converter would be built into the ipod's hardware) cuz technically.... usb2 can just utilize 4 of the 6 firewire pins... and the ipod should be smart enough to understand that.

also.... the button scheme sux.

tcmcam

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2002
How about universal ADAPTER for Cars

I'm hoping the docking station spurs another development...

A universal docking adapter for cars. Not the lame RF adapters that use the FM radio (or the cassette adapter).

I want something that plugs my iPod in, charges it, but uses a hi-quality audio cable or firewire digital hookup to play audio.

the PhatBox is kind of cool (http://www.phatnoise.com). But it only works with certain radios. I wish Apple could drive this hard with the automobile manufacturers.

Gee, with a firewire interface, we could even have a "voice" saying the playlist. Good for keeping your eyes on the road.

Just dreaming.....

Jack

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
I'm SORRY

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but I'm SURE that there's no way that Apple would have a music service. The chances are 1/1000 for that. At least that's if they don't tie it into .Mac. there's probably a 1/50 chance that if they have one at all, it'll be part of .Mac.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by mangoman
Has anyone considered the idea of a 'button' or two facillitating INPUT in terms of PDA functionality? How hard could it be (especially for the studs at Apple) ?

That would be a stupid, stupid idea.

Want a PDA? Get a PDA. The iPod is a music player. Not a PDA. The last thing Apple needs now is that kind of confusion.

I also believe there's no way in hell that they'll have USB 2.0. After all, Firewire is Apple's standard. Releasing USB 2 iPods would be like releasing iPods for Windows.

(Wait a second...)

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac

Want a PDA? Get a PDA. The iPod is a music player. Not a PDA. The last thing Apple needs now is that kind of confusion.

I also believe there's no way in hell that they'll have USB 2.0. After all, Firewire is Apple's standard. Releasing USB 2 iPods would be like releasing iPods for Windows.

(Wait a second...)

Hey Phil. Tell us how you really feel...

And you're already wrong about USB 2.0. It's been here and it works.

mr_austin

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac

Thank god they avoided that confusion by not having it list contacts or calendars :rolleyes:

Simple Input would be a great addition. Even better would be a way to rate songs or create playlists w/o the mac.

MARKUS

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2003
Dock?

What if they made the dock so you can have a audio output from the dock instead of plugging it in on the top.

This would be a pretty convenient, and cleaner way of plugging in the iPod to your stereo plus they can sell this with a cheaper wall wart that plugs into the dock for charging and sell the expensive white power adapter separately.

Or, while we are speculating, having a optional IR remote for the dock or even a video out for future capabilities but starting with song info and basically duplicating the info on the iPod itself for viewing on a tv or monitor.
I know that this is possible without adding too much to the price.

Bluetooth would probably not be cost effective but it too is also possible.
Tivo series 2 recorders can connect with Rendezvous and is compatible with iTunes and iPhoto so, I am kind of curious to see where this might be going.
The possibilities are endless.

:D

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by mr_austin
Thank god they avoided that confusion by not having it list contacts or calendars :rolleyes:

Simple Input would be a great addition. Even better would be a way to rate songs or create playlists w/o the mac.

That's data viewage. iPod is a output machine. Input goes against the idea of an output machine.

d46799

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2003
SFBA, CA, USA
My $.02

I hope they're taking advantage of the bigger drives that are readily available, especially the 40/60 giggers. Can't imagine they're going to sell a 10 and a 15 with a $100 difference between them. I also hope they will include my idea of a toothpick on the side, like with the swiss army knife. AS WELL as a cork screw/magnifying glass/fish scaler. Let's make this a truly versitile tool. Any takers for a "comissioned artists rendition"? I got $.02 for ya.

If they include those items, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll hold out.

Ya HEAR THAT Apple??!

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.