New iTunes...no improvement

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Phil in ocala, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

Added five AIFF files...now cannot find them....cannot view by date added...the Geeks at Apple did not think of this....I would not hire anyone at apple who did not get an A in logic.

2. georgB macrumors newbie

georgB

"no improvement" is a gross understatement! iT 12.7. is a disaster - stupid and inconsiderate. They've eliminated "Apps" from the sidebar (it's nowhere else, either), and anything to do with apps, updating and getting new ones, has to be done via the App store. That's not just inconvenient, it doesn't work, since the App Store (on the Mac) doesn't register the fact that one or another of my apps needs updating. The App Store on the iPhone does register updates, but this is a big hassle/problem for people with slow internet. Also, reorganizing apps on the phone's display is much harder on the phone than it was on the computer screen. And there may be other features lost or dumbed-down. Altogether, this is a typical case of "it wasn't broke, so why fix it", regardless Apple's bigger and bigger focus on play and such, and less on productivity. :mad::mad::mad:

3. Phil in ocala, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

Phil in ocala thread starter macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

Its hard to believe that Cupertino tests updates much at all. I think the issue is: "look busy...do an update on something" Now, nothing comes out of speakers to hear anything...

4. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

Turn on the side bar, you'll find the "Recently Added" category under Library.

5. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I don't think I've used that screen since like 2012, anything to make iTunes less of a bloated mess.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

After being updated automatically on this iTunes update, I turned off automatic updates so this would never happen again.

7. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Ah, so you're the one! I have always wondered if anyone ever used that feature.

8. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

9. georgB macrumors newbie

georgB

Live and learn! ;)

10. MacknTosh macrumors member

I also sorted apps in iTunes - really convenient when you have a new phone.

And yes - I know I can restore a new phone from a back-up of an old phone, but I find setting up a new phone from scratch part of the process of bonding with my new toy.

11. ItWasNotMe macrumors regular

Very poor app all around...

Example:
    1. Play a Music Video in a separate window. Bring that window to front over the top of the 'main' iTunes Window
    2. Switch to another app
    3. Click iTunes on the dock
    Resultant behaviour - displays Video window on top of main window for about half a second, then moves it to the back so you can't see it.

12. wayoutwest5505 macrumors newbie

wayoutwest5505

Any suggestions on a app better than iTunes for Mac. I hate iTunes more than my mother in law. Utah

13. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

I would love something like that but able to sync with my iPod Video. I don't know if that might be possible though.

14. Smellmet macrumors regular

Smellmet

I've always loved iTunes, and I've been using it on Windows PCs for over a decade now with little to no problems, but the last couple of updates have been terrible, the performance of the app is abysmal, it's slow, jerky and just not as nice to use any more.

15. ItWasNotMe, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

ItWasNotMe macrumors regular

Upgraded to High Sierra and now the iTunes specific function keys on my (vintage) Apple keyboard no longer have any effect

Means having to give the app focus and use the mouse to pause/skip/etc.

[Edit]

Looks like they changed the behaviour so other apps can grab them, however when the other app(s) exits, iTunes doesn't seem to get control back...

So sometimes they work in iTunes, sometimes they don't, sometimes they don't do anything in any active app....

Great user experience? Not really

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

iTunes stopped displaying Audiobooks in smart play lists. Absolutely insane. You would think that someone has a large checklist of features that are available and goes through that list and checks everything before they release a new version. Apparently not.