New itunes with Leopard???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by evanrousso, Oct 16, 2007.

1. evanrousso macrumors 6502

Will the release of Leopard include iTunes 8?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its very possible, iTunes 7 is getting a bit old...

3. taficke macrumors member

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

A year and a month. which compared to the 36 days that iTunes 5 was around is ages but in general terms it is nothing special but well within the range for replacement.

5. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

While iTunes 8.0 may not be part of the MacOS X 10.5 installation, I wouldn't be surprised that Apple releases the new version as a free download around the time MacOS X 10.5 arrives. The Mac version of iTunes 8.0 will take advantage of MacOS X 10.5 features, and the Windows version will include features that uses a lot of the new functionality of Windows Vista.

6. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I personally think its time for iTunes 8 so it should come with Leopard

7. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

iTunes is used to be a part of iLife but, now it is its own thing because of the iPod sales/iPhone stuff. It will be on its own release cycle most likely with some type of music event.

8. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

iPhone stuff?

When Leopard drops, we are all expecting to get Note syncing with the iPhone (through Mail). Additionally, with all the changes made under the hood to the OS (system-wide To-Do List, etc.) there might be a real need to update how iTunes syncs with the iPhone. We may not exactly get a new firmware update, but Leopard speaks a pretty different language from Tiger, and iTunes might need an update to handle it.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Good point however i feel that most of the changes needed to accommodate the iPhone can be done in a 7.4.X release. But they may just through in some more features to and make it iTunes 8 to show it is fully iPhone aware.

10. pooryou macrumors 65816

If they really came out with a new improved iTunes that would actually get me to upgrade to Leopard sooner (as in, before buying a new Mac).

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well it would be made available for Tiger and most probably Panther.

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

What need is there for iTunes 8?

The next thing coming seems to be movie rentals. That will require an upgrade, but up to Apple if it requires 7.x or 8.0. In any case, it won't be tied to Leopard. Apple wants iTunes available to everyone with full functionality.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nope.

14. KKKL macrumors 6502

Well, I don't think so.
    Since iTunes is a freeware, Apple can release iTunes 8 at any time. It's not necessary to come with Leopard.

15. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

It is my understanding that iLife '08 links against a few new frameworks that were originally intended to be Leopard-only (ImageKit, iLifeMediaBrowser, etc). I think it was pretty obvious that the last iLife was supposed to be launched either with or after Leopard, and that the delay threw the whole thing out of balance. Still, the fact remains that the new iLife has "Leopard-only" features built-in, even if it is running on Tiger. If there is an iTunes 8 waiting in the wings for Leopard, and if it is designed to take advantage of some of the new core technologies/frameworks in the OS, then there is still no reason to expect that Tiger (or even Panther) couldn't run the same exact application.

Certainly there will be some confusion right after the launch since there will be features in the new Mail.app and iCal that people will expect to work with the iPhone (which means through iTunes). If Apple pushes iTunes 8 as Leopard-exclusive as a way to signify this: "Want Notes syncing? You need iTunes 8. Buy Leopard!" Leaving Windows alone for a second, this would add a little more value to Leopard and make it very clear what they can expect from staying with Tiger and 7.x. I'm not saying this would happen (I'd love to see 8.x and up work on Tiger), but it would make sense for Apple. Clear upgrade path and all.

16. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

I don't know if anyone else has noticed or is having the same problem but if you go to the iTunes download page I get a message saying we are busy updating this site, please check back instead of the link to download.

Could version 8 be imminent...?

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I just went and downloaded it no probs but could be.

18. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

Hmm intriguing...This is what I get when I go to the download site maybe its just me?

Attached Files:

19. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

What other new features could they add apart from the afformentioned movie rentals? It's pretty fully featured as it is.
    Or will it most likely be just under-the-hood improvements?

20. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

21. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Well then! If you think it's time, then it really MUST be time.

22. robPOD macrumors 6502

23. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

totally.

24. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

iTunes 8 would most likely be Leopard dependent and would not be able to run under previous versions of the Mac OS.

There will be some very compelling new features coming in a iPhone/iTouch update almost immediately upon the release of Leopard that will require Leopard.