New Jay Z Album '4:44' Will Be Sprint-Tidal Exclusive

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Rapper Jay Z has confirmed that his new album, 4:44, will be released on June 30 and will be available exclusively to Sprint customers and existing Tidal subscribers (via Variety). The album is the first major project between the streaming music service and Sprint, which acquired 33 percent of the company in January in a deal reportedly worth $200 million.

[​IMG]

Tidal has recently been promoting 4:44 with videos on YouTube featuring actors Mahershala Ali, Lupita Nyong'o, and Danny Glover, suggesting video content could accompany the album.

Based on the performance of previous Tidal-only releases, how long the album remains an exclusive could have a big effect on its chart success. Beyonce's album Lemonade reportedly suffered because of its exclusivity to Tidal, which claims as many as 3 million subscribers. That contrasts with Spotify's claimed 50 million paying subscribers, with Apple Music now on 27 million subscribers, as revealed earlier this month at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

Apple was rumored to be interested in buying Tidal last year as a way to bolster Apple Music, but the company later denied the reports and said it wasn't looking to acquire any existing streaming services. The rivalry between Apple Music and Tidal has been criticized for their promotion of exclusive artist deals, which Kanye West said was negatively affecting the music industry.

As part of the Sprint-Tidal deal, Sprint customers are eligible to receive a free six-month Tidal trial subscription to the streaming service.

Article Link: New Jay Z Album '4:44' Will Be Sprint-Tidal Exclusive

2. Relentless Power, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I don't see how Tidal is relevant in the music industry or even competing at this point. I don't have an issue with Jay-Z as an artist, but it seems Tidal is a garbage service seeking ways to survive.

3. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Sounds like they are clinging on for dear life.

4. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

What does Jay Z has to do with MacRumors? I follow you for Apple news and tips, not for music artists.

5. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

It's now about Jay-Z as a whole, it's about Tidal as a service. Tidal, as irrelevant as they may appear, they are still part of the music industry, along with Spotify and Apple Music.

Also, if you read the article, you would have known last year it was rumored Apple was going to possibly purchase Tidal and their services (Which Kanye West was causing a controversy over). So there is a correlation between both Apple Music and Tidal.

6. Sunny1990, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

Beyonce's album Lemonade reportedly "suffered" because of its exclusivity to Tidal :- Macrumors Quote

And The couple didn't learnet the lesson yet, they are making it "Tidal exclusive!" again.Make it available on Apple Music and Spotify also.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

8. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Probably just the most famous, successful and rich rapper of all times. I don't even listen to rap and have no emotional connection to Jay Z and his music at all, but people are making a fool of themselves with this pseudo-cool, tongue-in cheek ignorance.

9. Saipher macrumors regular

Saipher

10. KALLT macrumors 601

Even Mozart wouldn’t be able to persuade me to subscribe to his chosen streaming service.

This exclusivity nonsense needs to stop.

11. rudychidiac Suspended

rudychidiac

That's it I'm switching to Tidal RIGHT NOW!
    (Said no one, ever)

12. Fender2112 macrumors 65816

Fender2112

13. selfsilent macrumors regular

The 2nd most famous, successful and rich rapper after Dr Dre.

14. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Don't card much for Jay Z's music, and I especially don't care for Sprint or Tidal. I'm an AT&T/Spotify kinda guy.

15. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

Rest of the internet has it as mp3 same hour as it rolls out to Tidal.

But its probably a nice cash deal for Jay-Z.

16. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

This sucks. But it's the internet. This will only add to piracy not eliminate it

17. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Give it up Tidal. You're not getting bought.

18. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

This confirms that I will continue to not use Tidal.

19. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Gutted, and by gutted I mean “don’t give a toss”

20. rpe33 macrumors regular

If this was 2002 I might have actually cared.

21. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

4:44
    Big sleepin', makin z's

Gonna be a hawt album!

22. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

I'm deaf and I find this post offending. :D Bring back good ol' MacRumors news. ;)

/s
    --- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2017 ---
    Off topic - why aren't emojis supported in this site, let alone MacRumors' meh emojis?

Simply add UTF-8 to your site and it's a win-win.

23. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

They have money to burn

24. Remy149 macrumors member

Beyoncés Lemonade album was still the best selling album of 2016 globally. I'm sure like her He will still have it available for sale on iTunes and other digital stores and only the streaming will be exclusive.
    Beyoncés Lemonade album was still the best selling album of 2016 globally. I'm sure like her He will still have it available for sale on iTunes and other digital stores and only the streaming will be exclusive.