New Keyboard - Love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AZ Jack, Nov 27, 2016.

?

What do you think about the new Macbook Pro Keyboard?

1. Love it

96 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Like it but not thrilled about the noise

28 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Don't care

13 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. Don't like it - but still like my new Macbook Pro

16 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Hate it - wish I didn't get the new Macbook Pro

18 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. AZ Jack macrumors newbie

I actually posted this question in another thread but think maybe it is a good topic on its own. I am very curious what people are thinking about the new keyboard who have actually used it for awhile. I tried it out in the apple store and didn't like it, but sometimes it can take days of use before you can really decide.

If you own a new Macbook pro, let us know what you think about the new keyboard. Is it too loud? Does your typing adapt over time to be quieter? How does typing on it compare to the older softer keyboards?

2. Qwaf macrumors member

I expected to hate it, I don't like the MacBook keyboard. It feels like hitting.. nothing. But just the simple addition of the added click to the new one transforms it completely for me, I'm as quick and accurate as I've ever been on a laptop and as far as the noise goes - I'm fine with it - but I use mechanical keyboards otherwise at home and at work, so it's relatively tame in comparison.

I wouldn't say I love it, but I'm happy with it. If they could add about 40% more travel then I think it'd possibly become one of my all time favourite laptop keyboards.

3. jft94 macrumors regular

I have had mine for almost a week now and I really like it. At first I thought it was too loud, but after getting used to it and realizing I do not have to press down so hard on the keys, it is not as loud as it first was. Yes, it's pretty clicky, but it does not bother me personally.

I type just as good on this keyboard as I did on my old MacBooks.

4. fokmik macrumors 68000

i was aldready used with every apple keyboard...from my late 2013 MBP, to my imac wireless keyboard, to my 12" Macbook and new 2016 MBP....love them, i love that i can type quietly if you adjust your typography

5. AZ Jack thread starter macrumors newbie

Very helpful feedback. The numerous comments and even youtube videos about the new keyboard and how loud it is has caused me to hesitate pulling the trigger on a new one.

6. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I like the keyboard, but still prefer the old one. I dislike specially the spacebar key.

7. xvigauge macrumors member

xvigauge

I was going to vote "don't care," but I voted "Love it" because I have never had a lighted key board before. As far as the noise, I don't even notice it. I think the key board is great.
    xvigauge

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Really was not a huge fan of the 12" KB, but the MBP one is better and I like it

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Are you in the US? We are in the extended return period. This is noticeably better than the MacBook keyboard, and I haven't been bothered by the noise.

10. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I believe this apply worldwide. At least in the UK it does

11. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Not just being an Apple fanboy. Actually love the new keyboard much, much more than the one on my 2013 MBP. Actually like it more than my Magic Keyboard.

12. mortenandersen, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Different users have many reasons why they like the new keyboard, but for some of us (at least) ONLY ONE feature of this new keyboard is and remains unacceptable and not a thing we want to be used to, and that is the unnecessary loud clicking noise. (There are many reasons why this is so: The user himself doesn't like it, or persons nearby dislike or disapproves it.)

Therefore, Apple really should make this clicking noise OPTIONAL. Tweak, adjust or remake the purely physical mechanism that creates this clicking sound, so that all of us who hates it, can choose not to have it.

And make a software solution (that can be turned on/off) that adds a clicking noise to those who prefer to have it. Both parties will be satisfied, and we all will have this important freedom of choice.

13. andrewj macrumors regular

I like it. And yes louder than the previous MBP. Of course, I prefer the Model M keyboard, hands down.

14. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

the clicking noise isn't due to any software, it's because you're typing incorrectly on this keyboard.

The noise of the keyboard can't be fixed by software, unless you have ANC headphones! This is the way the HARDWARE was implemented! Nothing to do with software and everything to do with the fact you aren't using it correctly.

BTW, as I type this my wife (who is a light sleeper) is sleeping soundly next to me in bed and can't tell I am typing a thing.

15. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Voted for love it. I don't understand why people have so much nostalgia for the keyboard on previous MacBook Pros, which were mushy and made a horrible, cheap tinny sound. If you want to see a "real" island style keyboard on a notebook, try the one on the first generation Sony VAIO Z.

I like that the second generation butterfly keyboard on the 2016 MacBook Pro produces a crisp sound with each click. It does take a while to get used to (adjusting to key size and amount of force to actuate the keys), but once you do you can type much more quickly than before.

16. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

I voted I don't care. Desktop keyboards are better for me regardless. This one is not much different than my 2009 MBP or any other laptop keyboard. They just aren't as good, and if I quantify it, it's about 10% not as good as a desktop keyboard. So not a big deal to me either way. The prior keyboards never got me hot and bothered and this one doesn't turn me off. It's definitely different and unique though. Less travel, yes, and a new solid feel with almost no lateral play. As far as noise, I almost **** myself when I first hit the keyboard, the clickyness was so loud. Over the last week and a half, there is almost zero noise. I did not mind the noise, but the feedback on the keys is so good, I must be hitting the keys just enough to register as opposed to pounding on them, or maybe the keys break in a little? Maybe I will grow to "love" this keyboard, but I doubt it. I think the keyboard would have to give me a happy ending for me to prefer it over a desktop keyboard. Any desktop keyboard > any laptop keyboard for me personally.

17. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

I like it, but I was used to it from the MB. I don't mind the things many list as issues. To each their own.

18. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

i love it. Though I have had both the 2015 and the 2016 MacBooks before this and it feels pretty much identical to those. I can be noisy, but it depends on how you type. I am specifically typing lightly and it isn't very loud at all. I really liked the MacBook keyboards and now I really like the MacBook Pro's. Very happy with it. I'm honestly not sure what the complaints are a out the space bar. It seems to work fine for me. Not too squishy or mushy as some have complained about. Maybe this is specific to certain units. But mine is not too soft or mushy. Anyway, I love it.

19. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

I voted don't care because I've discovered that I'm fairly keyboard-agnostic and I can usually work with whatever I'm using.

I got on well with the 12" MacBook (2015) keyboard (I'm replying on it) and I've found the late 2016 to be absolutely fine, too. For some reason (perhaps a combination of the case angle and key-travel) my 13" MacBook Air (2011) remains the one that I found the most comfortable but I've yet to have a big issue with any keyboard I've used whether from Apple or otherwise.

20. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I absolutely love it! You don't have to type as hard as you think.

21. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I've been using a 2015 12" MacBook for about a year and a half so I was already somewhat acclimated to the butterfly keyboard. However, I will say that the second-gen keyboard on the 2016 MBP feels a lot better and I like it a lot more than on the 12".

22. Garage Battle macrumors member

it bothers me a little how loud it is. i dont like the previous gen keyboard, but something in the middle would have been nice. I would have gladly traded a few more mm for a bit more travel/less noise.

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

From an "old school" touch typist perspective, I don't like it. If feels unnatural with the short travel. Also, the keys feel like a $199.00 Chromebook and it sounds like a Fisher Price baby toy that is suppose to emit annoying noises. Fortunately I'm long past my school years but I'd be plenty embarrassed typing full throttle on it in the library. That said it's not unusable, just unlikable.

Also -- as a touch typist who was taught under threat of ruler to the knuckles to look at the paper/screen not keyboard when typing -- the touch bar is exactly as reviews portrayed it -- a mostly gimmick. But it even makes simple thinks like adjusting volume and brightness more complex, and I think, slower. Again, I'm a touch typist so I'm not use to having to look at the keyboard, something you have to do with non-tactile virtual keys.

I have no idea of keyboarding is even a mandatory class like it was for me in high school. I'm glad it was as it's probably the most useful skill I learned there. I suspect it's not taught anymore and people peck at their keyboards which is why those who like TB do -- they need to look at the keyboard anyway. So, perhaps this TB just represents a changing of the guard so to speak.

24. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

O love the new keyboard. Its one of the best things about the 2016 MBP.

25. hypeofflyfe macrumors newbie

I actually love the new keyboard, I think it based on personal preference but the keyboard isn't as bad as what is being said about it. It is definitely better than the MacBooks keyboard. I would recommend just going to the store and testing it out.