Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
ROTF LMAO! :D

Euro-english:
The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.
As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".
In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.
There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.
In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.
Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.
By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".
During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru. Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas

kabunaru

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
What the hell is this? Why do you want to destroy some other people's culture?
[I'm not a native English speaker]

It's called making a new dialect. ;) I always wanted to make a new dialect of English.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I don't see how you get it. To me, the silent Es and Hs don't make sense.
The rich and diverse history of the English language is embedded in its spelling. Silent "e"s often change the pronunciation of the previous syllable, or differentiate one word from another.
Sure, maybe Americans should talk like this because they already butchered the English language and don't have much of a history. :rolleyes:
You will get far with this sympathetic and sensitive approach. Keep it up.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
To a 5 yr. old I can see how this would be enlightening, new & fun...maybe even a secret code or game.

To an adult, however, this seems slightly childish...
The reason I say this, is because the spelling does dictate the pronunciation as stated by most everyone above. If you mess with the integrity of how the letters make up the words, no longer does the whole integrity of the English language have any substance.

There are several words, though pronounced similarly, have extremely different meanings...So if you spell everything simply by the way the word sounds, there would be duplicate words with different meanings, so the meaning would be what?...Derived from context. The whole reason to have different spellings was to avoid this completely.

kabunaru

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
To a 5 yr. old I can see how this would be enlightening, new & fun...maybe even a secret code or game.

To an adult, however, this seems slightly childish...
The reason I say this, is because the spelling does dictate the pronunciation as stated by most everyone above. If you mess with the integrity of how the letters make up the words, no longer does the whole integrity of the English language have any substance.
It doesn't seem childish to me.
Then maybe this should be a new language that is close to English like English to Frisian?
Over time, I will add more words and make my own new language.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
It doesn't seem childish to me.
Then maybe this should be a new language that is close to English like English to Frisian?
Over time, I will add more words and make my own new language.

If you're going to do it, don't associate it with English. Please.

...and I hope you have someone to speak it with.
Because, with the looks of the organization and actual time you've put into it vs. your defense of it...there is some serious lack.

Plus, the part you left out when quoting me...is the most relevant part of my post as to how I consider this to be childish. :)

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
"tekst"?

What do you have against "x"?

"vyne"

Why is there an "e" on the end? How do I tell the difference between how to pronounce this word and "se", where the "e" is not silent.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I use different words all the thyme, for fun. Have made up some really cool ones. Not giving you and your weird experiment any to use. How I wandered in here and thought this was a different thread from the one you had earlier because you changed the title.

And BTW, changing the spelling of 50 words out of hundreds of thousands is not a new language. You haven't done anything to create new forms of conjugation or sentence structure or syntax. It's not really a dialect either, since dialects are essentially variations on pronunciation and you are actually keeping the pronunciation and varying the spelling.

What you've decided to do is neither innovative or new, many others have played this game. Never known anyone who took it this far though. If you really and truly want to 'create' a new .................., then you need to scrap your list, do some research on some of the things I first mentioned, and start over. Really get into it. But ology to ologee doesn't cut it.

kabunaru

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I will also remove the letter "x" from this new language. This language will only have 25 letters.

I am going to call the language: "Antuuch"

This is to English like Spanish to Portuguese or Russian to Ukrainian.

Iym tuu byzee workeeng un thys lenguege.
I hev no iydeeya houw faar Iye wyl gyt.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
You should check out Georges Perec and the Oulipo group - they played similar games with language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Perec

He was the guy who wrote a book without the letter 'e'. Someone else then translated it into English, also without using 'e'.

Oulipo and the Pataphysics group (Alfred Jarry etc) are also worth checking out.

Alfred Jarry was a gay dwarf genius living in France in the late 1800 who invented several new languages of his own, and wrote some of the best (and most surreal) plays ever written.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Jarry

Some examples of Oulipo and a bit about Jarry below:

Some Oulipian constraints:

The "N+7" method: Replace every noun in a text with the noun seven entries after it in a dictionary. For example, "Call me Ishmael. Some years ago..." (from Moby-Dick) becomes "Call me islander. Some yeggs ago...". Results will vary depending upon the dictionary used. This technique can also be performed on other lexical classes, such as verbs.

Snowball: a poem in which each line is a single word, and each successive word is one letter longer.

Lipogram: Writing that excludes one or more letters. The previous sentence is a lipogram in B, F, H, J, K, Q, V, Y, and Z (it does not contain any of those letters).

The prisoner's constraint (a.k.a. the "macao" constraint) is a type of lipogram that omits letters with ascenders and descenders (b, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, p, q, t, and y).

On opening night (10 December 1896), with traditionalists and the avant-garde in the audience, King Ubu (played by Firmin Gémier) stepped forward and intoned the opening word, "Merdre!" ("Shittr!"). A quarter of an hour of pandemonium ensued: outraged cries, booing, and whistling by the offended parties, countered by cheers and applause by the more forward-thinking contingent. Such interruptions continued through the evening. At the time, only the dress rehearsal and opening night performance were held, and the play was not revived until 1907.

The play brought fame to the 23-year-old Jarry, and he immersed himself in the fiction he had created. Gémier had modeled his portrayal of Ubu on Jarry's own staccato, nasal vocal delivery, which emphasized each syllable (even the silent ones). From then on, Jarry would always speak in this style. He adopted Ubu's ridiculous and pedantic figures of speech; for example, he referred to himself using the royal we, and called the wind "that which blows" and the bicycle he rode everywhere "that which rolls".

Jarry moved into a flat which the landlord had created through the unusual expedient of subdividing a larger flat by means of a horizontal rather than a vertical partition. The diminutive Jarry could just manage to stand up in the place, but guests had to bend or crouch. Jarry also took to carrying a loaded pistol. In response to a neighbor's complaint that his target shooting endangered her children, he replied, "If that should ever happen, ma-da-me, we should ourselves be happy to get new ones with you" (though he was not at all inclined to engage with females in the manner implied).

Living in worsening poverty, neglecting his health, and drinking excessively, Jarry went on to write what is often cited as the first cyborg sex novel, Le Surmâle (The Supermale), which is partly a satire on the Symbolist ideal of self-transcendence.

In his final years, he was a legendary and heroic figure to some of the young writers and artists in Paris. Guillaume Apollinaire, André Salmon, and Max Jacob sought him out in his truncated apartment. After his death, Pablo Picasso, fascinated with Jarry, acquired his pistol and wore it on his nocturnal expeditions in Paris, and later bought many of his manuscripts as well as executing a fine drawing of him.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Why even start with English? :rolleyes:

So – just to clarify – it isn't actually a new language, it's just an existing one spelt a bit funny? :confused:
Or an excuse to not learn to spell.

And without the letter 'x' - don't forget that.
Cause that means "close that window" duh! :p

So explain to me again, why a non-native English speaker wants to change someone else's language? :confused:

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
I will also remove the letter "x" from this new language. This language will only have 25 letters.

I am going to call the language: "Antuuch"

This is to English like Spanish to Portuguese or Russian to Ukrainian.

Iym tuu byzee workeeng un thys lenguege.
I hev no iydeeya houw faar Iye wyl gyt.

so in Antuuch it would be "Mac OS Ten"? brilliant! this will finally stop the confusion of whether the "X" is a letter or roman numeral.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.