New laptops instead of new Mac Pros at Macworld???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Photomax, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Photomax macrumors regular

I have watched all the "its happening tomorrow" threads on the eagerly (make that desperate) awaited new line of Mac Pros...

I have a G5 system and can't wait. For some weeks I felt pretty comfortable that the wait would be over at the January Macworld Expo. Now I am not so sure...

I have been reading some of the various reports and they all seem to now be hinting at new consumer products and not the mac pro. New laptops and compact notebooks seem to be getting the buzz.

Here is one: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ngs_of_mysterious_metallic_grey_macbooks.html

I wish I could find the post but I read that it will not be likely for Apple to announce new Mac Pros at MW.

But this French site says there will be a new Mac Pro:http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2007-12-05/#15426

So, I wonder: are we going to see new laptops, music gizmos, phones etc but NO Mac Pro's?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The new form compact notebook would likely take center stage, since we really haven't had that niche filled since the eBook vanished.

The Mac Pro will likely be updated with no fanfare either before or after. Probably just kicked out the door when it is ready.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

it probably will happen around then, but if it is not a major redesign it could just be a silent update, whenever the processors are available in enough quantity to actually ship.
    What I think will happen at Macworld, is Apple TV updates, then if it is not a silent update there will be the new Mac Pro, also possibly aluminum macbooks. Then we will get a "one more thing" which will be the ultraportable.

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

I'm really glad I purchased my Mac Pro when I did 1 year ago this month. I truly feel sorry for those who are just on the edge of buying one today, but are holding back for rumors of an update to the Pro line come January.

Apple is following the money with all their gizmos, gadgets, media-distribution channels, and now ultra-small laptops. These items are cash cows compared to their Pro desktops and servers. I just hope Apple doesn't backslide to the days of the cutesy tinkertoy G3 iMacs insofar as their brand-image goes.

Unless they redesign the Mac Pro case (and it'd have to be really eye-catching for me to approve..I really love the cheese grater look), I expect the Pro-line update to be as heralded as the octo-core mini-update was. That is to say, an understated affair.

5. Photomax thread starter macrumors regular

Its funny: when Jobs came back to Apple he said that Apple had too many product lines. One of his first orders of business was to streamline the offerings and kill off the clones (Power Computing, Umax etc.)

Fast forward to today Apple is back with more wide ranging products than ever.

But the phenomenal growth has not been due to selling boxy desktops.

Max

PS: my first computer was a 604e Power Tower Pro 200 (almost $3K) made my upstart Mac clone maker Power Computing (later sold for $30...)

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I'll agree that the Mac Pro won't likely get much fanfare, and I've stated many times that they weren't holding out specifically for macworld to announce it (seems timing just puts it that way), but I don't think Jobs is ignorant enough to not show a flagship product when much of the market they are aimed at will be watching his keynote. The Mac Pro may not make them much money or ship in much quantity, but it essential to Apple's presence and reputation in many industries.

7. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Apple better open up MWSF with the MacPro. It's been far too long. The traditional "one more thing" will be that new Ultra Thin.

8. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Blasphemy! :eek:

9. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I'm sure we will see some better rumors to the build up of MWSF.

10. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Umm. Aren't they one and the same?

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

not necesseraly, there were some rumors of the current macbooks going to aluminum encosures since Apple is moving away from white products.

12. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

It wasn't the number of product lines that was the problem. The problem was that there were too many models that were similar, with confusing names, that all overlapped with one another.

As long as a product fills a niche and is clearly marketed, I don't see a problem with Apple bringing out new products. No one's ever gonna confuse the iPhone with a MacBook. In essense, Apple still has only four Mac lines, the same as when Steve Jobs came back. The Mac Mini doesn't quite fit the four-product matrix but it's distinct enough from the iMac as to not cause any confusion for the consumer.

13. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I don't bother if Jobs announces it in his keynote, I just need one within a few months and let it be good ...
    As a matter of fact I don't think ther will be much focus on mac pro's, the keynote is alway much consumer market orientated.

14. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

I hear ya...I've been waiting since June to get one...and now the hard drive on my old computer just gave up the ghost (but is still covered by Apple Care, so is going to the shop in a few hours). Yeah, I know...but it when you need it (and even more importantly have the money) but I'm at the point where I'll be damned if I'm going to spend $4000 on a computer that will (in all probability) have a major upgrade for the same price point in 4 weeks...

15. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Good for you. I'm not holding back because of a "rumor", I'm holding back because the current Mac Pros are outdated **** and I don't feel like wasting my money.

Thanks for the pop-psychology, though.

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I agree. Some people just keep waiting, waiting, waiting, always afraid of something around the corner, of having anything besides the latest technology. It's a sad way to live--especially when one could be enjoying the gear now, in the present, instead of forever pining for the future. Oh well.

17. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I think this is sarcasm because it totally misses the point.

That point being that the Mac Pro is a year old and it's still the same price, even with year old technology. We are waiting because the MacPro isn't worth the money.

That's just plain smart business.

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Nope, it's just how I see it. I'd rather spending my time using my gear than waiting for it to be updated.

19. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

It's more than a year old. Rapidly approaching a year and a half old, and the graphics options are 2-3 years old, depending on the card. It's sad they still charge the same prices they did in 2006 when it came out. Even sadder is that they expect people to pay $400.00 for an x1900xt which is worth less than half that. The saddest part of all is the $323.00 price for a 500 gig hard drive.

Get with the times, Apple. :rolleyes:

20. krunk macrumors regular

In that case, I have a nice 1994 Corolla I'd like to sell you for 2007 prices. It's not as good as the newer model you could pick up for the same price, but it'll do what you need it to.

Just not as well and for much more money then other comparable vehicles.

21. heatmiser macrumors 68020

A far more accurate comparison would be one made between a 2006 Corolla and a 2007 one. In fact, once you make such a comparison, it becomes even easier to see how useless it is to compulsively upgrade for the sake of having the "newest" technology. There's virtually nothing the '07 model does that the '06 one can't. In the eleven months you spent waiting for the '07 model, you could have put hundreds of thousands of miles into the '06 model.

22. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Wow.....

You've been here all of a week and you're already an expert on people waiting for the Mac Pro. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

23. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you can't really address my argument, I guess it's safer to attack my registration date. Oh, and to add the little rolling-eye icons. Those really bring the strawman to life.

24. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

It would be cool for MWSF to actually be a "Pro" event for once considering everyone in attendance is a professional. I say MacPro comes out first with new ACDs. Then go on to the MacBook Pro, leading into "one more thing" for the consumers, and bring out the Ultra Thin MacBook... Apple TV gets silent after event.

25. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Multi? :eek: