New LED 30" Cinemad display. When?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie7, Mar 15, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Any leads on this. surely they are soon to be announced. Several mac dealers say they cant order this anymore and stocks are just being run down

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I thought it would come out when the new Mac Minis and the new Mac Pro came out. It should be anytime now.

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

please, please, let there be an anti-glare, silver bezel option

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Chances on that are about one in a million.

5. grue macrumors 65816

I have no faith that they won't screw it up.

It'll probably be glossy which is awful enough, and then they'll take out the FireWire ports, and then probably build in an iSight.

Ugh.

6. Igotmacqs macrumors member

It is scheduled for release one day before my Mac Pro gets ordered.

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Of course there will be a anti-glare option. Pro's aren't going to touch the ultra glossy displays, so therefore it'd only be useful to consumers. Consumers can't afford an $1800 display.

Apple has already shown that if there is enough demand, they will offer what the pro's want. They did it with the 17" MBP, and they'll do it with the Cinema Displays.

8. rmpstudio macrumors member

glossy display

it doesn't make any sense to me why they would make a 30" glossy. Most graphic and photographers i know don't like the false contrast and brightness that the glossy gives and since that is usually the demographic for the 30", hopefully apple is smart enough to know to make it in matte.

9. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

surely not. thats taking the p*ss

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The 30" won't be updated for a while, as the cost is still prohibitive. Two or three other companies offer 30" LED displays, and the cost is over $2800. I can see a $2499 Apple 30" LED display, but component prices still need at least another 6 months to drop.

11. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

in that case the current 30 ACD at $1,799 seems like a steal

12. grue macrumors 65816

Apple has shown time and time again they don't really give a crap what pros want. They're turning into a company that caters exclusively to college kids, trophy wives, and idiots. There are only a few products left that they haven't completely screwed up for pro users.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If the 30" LED ACD costs $2499, I'd gladly just buy 2x 24" LED ACD + a mac mini.

14. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

How would you run two of those screens off of a Mac Mini?

It's just going to take a while for LED tech in the big panels to come down in price. Apple wants that larger market (the iMacs are shifting to only 24" models and there won't be any 20" LED LCD display) so we just have to wait until the prices drop.

I bought an original 30" display for $3299! If the newer tech cost forced Apple into releasing a $2999 30" display, we'd hear nothing but whining on these boards. The newest tech is expensive, but it eventually comes down in price. The current $1799 display is actually pretty reasonable. It hasn't changed much at all since it's days at almost twice the price.

Respectfully, we are tech divas, who want cutting-edge technology at non-cutting-edge prices.

15. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

I hope very soon i've been waiting for a year for this update, i'm going to order the ATi 4870 and the new LED 30 inch Cinema manage to put away $4640, I know most people don't like glossy but I got a feeling that Apple may give you a choice like they did with the MacBook Pro 17 inch, 30-inch LED Cinema like the 24-inch model or 30-inch LED non-glossy but it will be in the same thin aluminum bezel, for me personally I want the new 24-inch style for the new 30 inch LED.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I never said anything about running both since the mac mini only has 1 mdp.

I'm just giving an example of how much $2499 really is.

17. boyplayer macrumors newbie

boyplayer

LED 30" ??
    Sounds interesting!But what I care is the battery?How long should it run for?:D

18. grue macrumors 65816

I'd like a matte 30" with both DisplayPort and DVI, 3x FireWire 800 and 3x USB, no iSight, no speakers, all black anodized aluminium, a removable power/usb/firewire/display cable and more adjustability for physical position.

But while I'm dreaming about things that won't happen, I'd also like them to make a small laptop that doesn't suck.

19. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Agree. I personally prefer the silver. but i'm happy as long as Apple gives options.

uh, you mean the MBA?

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Given that the vast majority of 30" buyers are pros I'd be surprised if Apple released a glare-maker 30". They'd be screwing the pooch and I'd hope they know that too.

I think the silver bezel days are over unfortunately. Apple new bezel color is black.

21. grue macrumors 65816

I specifically said "small laptop that doesn't suck"

That rules out the MacBook Air because:

A. It's not small (It's the exact same size as a MacBook. Being a male with a functional Y chromosome, I don't give a rat's ass about how thin a laptop is, nor how much it weighs. I want something that doesn't use much space on an airline tray table, or my lap).

B. It sucks (by my standards). It has a glossy screen, no FireWire, and a can't-be-changed-on-a-plane battery.

And for the privilege of owning this retarded trophy wife toy, you pay damned near twice as much as a white MacBook. Still too big, still has a crappy screen, but at least it's not crippled.

22. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

how small. 10" ? :D

23. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I think they were going to have it ready for Macworld until they realised not all want glossy.

24. grue macrumors 65816

Whatever the smallest machine is they can build without compromising the keyboard.

The 12" PowerBook was the perfect width (no wasted space like on the MacBook…), so the math behind aspect ratios suggests that they could make an 11.3" or so widescreen notebook the same width, not quite as deep, and it'd be perfectly sized.