Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is $1499 a bit much for this display, or am I better off with the 27" Dell 5K?

• Get this 38" 4K LG display, it's worth it.

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Get the 27" 5K Dell display, it's a better value.

Votes: 24 34.8%

• Total voters

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
medium01.jpg

lgmonitors1-1500x1000.jpg

So LG is releasing a new 21:9 4K display (3840 x 1600) that is a whopping 38" big.

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38UC99-W-ultrawide-monitor

I read a lot of great things about this display....I'm not a gamer, I'm a photographer and do a good amount of video editing and the display is said to have color of sRGB at over 99%. I have been torn for a while if I should grab one of these large 21:9 displays or get a 27" Dell 5K. I was going to get the 5K from Dell because the 21:9 displays were not even 4K until just as of recent. And now that the price of that display is far less than half from when it was first released...seamed like the way to go. And as a photographer/retoucher...I'm not so crazy about the curved display. Other guys in my line of work said it's something that I can more or less get used to. I still have about 2 weeks to decide if I should stick with this monster display, or spend a few hundred less and get the much smaller 27" 5K Dell...now that would have to run with both Thunderbolt ports....and Apple has said it is supported. This LG is brand new and even though I have seen images of it running on OSX...I had to be sure. Both Apple and LG said it would work....but I did get some confusing and conflicting info from both. I think I have it all sorted out though.

Now, I ran into some trouble trying to find out if this display could work with my new Macbook Pro. And after doing a ton of research and speaking to both Apple and LG...it looks like it can in fact work. However, there is not a Thunderbolt 2 connection to the display and I will have to use the HDMI. However, this display is rated to hit 60Hz. The specs of the HDMI on my machine say that refresh rate is 3840x2160 at 30 Hz....or 4096x2160 at 24 Hz refresh rate (and no mirroring at that rate). So I can get 4K, but I wouldn't be able to hit that high of a refresh rate. The solution, a DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter that can hit 4K at 60Hz as well as supporting RGB up to 12 bpc, YCbCr 4:4:4.

LG told me that it was VITAL to use a high speed/quality HDMI cable. Just to be safe, I'll probably grab a monster cable that can transmit 27Gps. Apple told me that I can use the Active Adapter that they sell at the Apple Store made by Belkin. WRONG! I read several reviews on the product and not one person who purchased it was able to get 4K/60Hz. This specific question is actually posted on the Apple Store for this product yet it has never been answered (since 2015). I did some digging and found 3 adapters that should work. I read reviews on all of them...and most of them did work for Mac, some were hit or miss on a PC.

So, in order to get this 4K 21:9 display working with my new MacBook Pro (with AMD Radeon R9 M370X card), I need to get one of these Active Adapters and a high quality HDMI cord. I'm not sure if anyone really cares, but I will go ahead and post the 3 units that I found that should work since it took me forever to find all this info. Perhaps there is someone else looking at this display and wondering if it will work with the MacBook Pro. Oh...but before I go on, the display is said to go on sale in about 2 weeks time from now. B&H Photo has them listed for $1499 but they do give you a $200 gift card...and if you live outside of NY, it's tax free and so is shipping....so figure the display runs $1300 at the end of the day with the promo.

The brands of the converters are as follows:

Uptab
Club3D
Accell

After having read scattered reviews, I decided to go with the Uptab model found here...
http://www.uptab.com/minidisplayport-thunderbolt-to-hdmi-4kat60hz-adapter-cable-gold-plated.html

It can be found on eBay and on Amazon as well. The Club3D can also be found on Amazon as well. All three are said to do the same thing, the more current and recent reviews I read that were more specific to the MacBook Pro were from Uptab, so I decided to go with them. If it doesn't work for whatever reason, I will simply return it and try one of the others. The Uptab seems to promote a bit more to Mac users. Some of the reviews I read about the Club3D were not that great....but I also read some improvements have been made to it. I did read that those using the Uptab confirmed 4K @60hz and 4:4:4: .

B&H is taking pre-orders or you can get an alert as soon as they are available. To be honest...I was going to just grab the 5K Dell. There isn't much out there in 5K other than my high resolution digital camera, so I really can't do much with 5K RIGHT NOW...so I hope I am making a right move here with this display. I would love to hear opinions. This thing was just announced the other day. I saw images of the display working in OSX...so I had assumed it should work with my computer...but needed to be sure. If I do end up with this display, I will post back how the Uptab adapter worked and if I was able to get 4K @60Hz via my HDMI. Do you think these 21:9 displays are worth getting over a smaller 27" Dell 5K display? I was going to get the Dell 5K but now that they make a 21:9 in 4K....I'm really tempted. Watching a movie on this thing must be insane!

Hope this info helps someone else...if I missed anything, PLEASE correct me. If you think I'm making a mistake getting this display, PLEASE tell me why. I think having such a long timeline when rendering/editing video in FCP will be awesome. There sure is a lot of real estate on this thing, and in 3840 x 1600....I can't see why not? I may just start playing some games just to see my jaw drop. THANKS!

-Harry

Last edited:
Reactions: utnanwp and idunn

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Apple now says this....

With OS X Yosemite v10.10.3 and later, most single-stream 4K (3840x2160) displays are supported at 60Hz operation on the following Mac computers:

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) and later
  • MacBook Air (Early 2015)

Does this mean I can just simply connect a Thunderbolt cable to this display and get 4K @ 60Hz? If I'm reading this correctly, I don't need to use an HDMI?

[doublepost=1474018367][/doublepost]And this article says that both the air and pro can support 4k @ 60hz and that apples specs are wrong. So I am thinking I can connect this display to my pro with just one Thunderbolt cable?
[doublepost=1474018400][/doublepost]http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/03/yes-the-2015-macbook-air-supports-4k-displays-at-60hz/

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Update to myself I guess....

B&H and LG have told me BOTH that in order to get this display running on my MacBook Pro 15", I need this cable. Same for any other 4K display that I want to see at 60Hz that goes from a Thunderbolt computer to a DP monitor.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/945082-REG/startech_mdp2dpmm6_mini_displayport_adapter_6.html

Apple said I can use this adapter....but I have more faith in LG and B&H. They took down my info, did some homework....and got back to me. Apple...well, was bounced around to 10 different people. I suppose this adapter would work, but LG said it's best to use a proper dedicated wire rather than an adapter. I bought both since they were just about $8 each....and pulled the trigger and put the pre-order in with B&H since the rep told me they had about 100+ units all ready on order. Here is what Apple told me to use....

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...909?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4JEZAAN44NHVW66SEE2P

So much for the HDMI info Apple gave me and had me running around like a chicken without a head. I even purchased one of those HDMI adapters...it's going back I guess.

Harry

Reactions: utnanwp

raw1261

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
I just got the LG 38UC99 AND to my surprise it didn't work with cables in box. Got run around with apple also heck apple guy said I'd probably need to go get a PC and sell my MAC PRO [2013] WOW .... gonna try LG tomorrow if can't get an answer gonna send it back. Hell with it

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
I just got the LG 38UC99 AND to my surprise it didn't work with cables in box. Got run around with apple also heck apple guy said I'd probably need to go get a PC and sell my MAC PRO [2013] WOW .... gonna try LG tomorrow if can't get an answer gonna send it back. Hell with it
Apple and LG both told me you need that Thunderbolt to mini display port adapter / wire. B&H has them for about $7. They should really include one in the box. Hope you give me a review!

Harry
[doublepost=1476234916][/doublepost]And I spoke with both LG & Apple.....LG actually took down my info and called me back. You need that cable. If you can't find it...lmk and I'll get you a link.

Harry

raw1261

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
Apple and LG both told me you need that Thunderbolt to mini display port adapter / wire. B&H has them for about $7. They should really include one in the box. Hope you give me a review!

Harry
[doublepost=1476234916][/doublepost]And I spoke with both LG & Apple.....LG actually took down my info and called me back. You need that cable. If you can't find it...lmk and I'll get you a link.

Harry
Yes send me the link. I have ordered the utab and a different hdmi cable. It'll be here Thursday so I'll see if that'll work for my Mac Pro. Will keep you posted.

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Yes send me the link. I have ordered the utab and a different hdmi cable. It'll be here Thursday so I'll see if that'll work for my Mac Pro. Will keep you posted.

No! You DO NOT want the HDMI cable. You can connect via HDMI, but not at 60Hz. To take full advantage of the display, you need the Thunderbolt to MDP adapter that I mentioned above. This is the part you need...and you can call B&H to confirm:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/945082-REG/startech_mdp2dpmm6_mini_displayport_adapter_6.html

Harry
[doublepost=1476302835][/doublepost]I just realized I have this link posted all ready above. Not sure if you saw it, but at first they told me to use an HDMI. But after going back and forth with both APPLE, LG, and the guys at B&H......this is the only thing you need....and it is much cheaper than both the HDMI adapter and new HDMI cable at $7.

Harry
[doublepost=1476303080][/doublepost]Specs.....

Features
The 6', black Mini DisplayPort Male to DisplayPort Male Adapter Cable from StarTech connects a Mini DisplayPort equipped laptop (including Mac family products) to an HDTV, monitor, or projector that uses a standard DisplayPort connection.

The Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable supports high resolutions up to 4Kx2K (3840 x 2160) at 60 Hz with a maximum High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) bandwidth of 21.6 Gb/s. The cable also supports Multi-Stream (MST) for daisy chaining multiple monitors and provides optional audio support.

• Latching DisplayPort connector prevents accidental disconnection
  • Cost-effective solution for adding a standard DisplayPort connection to your Mini DisplayPort-equipped PC or Mac
  • Gold-plated Mini DisplayPort and DisplayPort connectors
  • Aluminum-Mylar foil with braided shielding
  • Supports data transfer rates up to 8.64 Gb/s
  • Enables a DisplayPort monitor or projector to be connected to devices equipped with a Mini DisplayPort connection port
  • High-resolution support up to 4Kx2K
  • Support for High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) bandwidth of up to 21.6 Gb/s
  • Designed and manufactured to DisplayPort 1.2 standards
  • Backward compatible with DisplayPort 1.1
  • Supports the DPCP (DisplayPort Content Protection) standard in addition to HDCP
  • PC and Mac compatible

raw1261

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
Ok...NOW I KNOW IM. OT GOING CRAZY....BUT.... for the heck of it I plugged my Mac book pro in via hdmi and I go a signal ..... ok so then I re-plugged my Mac Pro up and it now works .... WTH.

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Ok...NOW I KNOW IM. OT GOING CRAZY....BUT.... for the heck of it I plugged my Mac book pro in via hdmi and I go a signal ..... ok so then I re-plugged my Mac Pro up and it now works .... WTH.

You should get a signal, but from what I was told...you can't get 60hz via the HDMI port. 40 is the max. If you don't know how to check...watch this:

Harry

raw1261

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
Ok I see what you mean .... yesterday I could not get any signal at all. So the utab is not needed?
Just the hdmi - mini display port cable is needed?
[doublepost=1476304860][/doublepost]
You should get a signal, but from what I was told...you can't get 60hz via the HDMI port. 40 is the max. If you don't know how to check...watch this:

Harry
That won't work for Mac. Trying to see what mac protocol is

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Ok I see what you mean .... yesterday I could not get any signal at all. So the utab is not needed?
Just the hdmi - mini display port cable is needed?

From what I was LAST told, in order to get 60hz and the full potential of the monitor, all you need is the Thunderbolt to MDP adapter I posted a link to above. You can still connect using the HDMI port, but you will not get 60fps. This is what LG told me...and this is why I'm going to use the adapter instead. You said, "Just the hdmi - mini display port cable is needed?"....no HDMI. Only the cable to go from Thunderbolt to MDP....if you want 60fps. You can connect via HDMI, but you will only get a max of 40fps.

Harry
[doublepost=1476305107][/doublepost]For MAC I found this...

http://osxdaily.com/2015/04/02/monitor-frames-per-second-fps-live-mac-os-x/

Harry

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
ok I found it .... giving me 30 hertz

Yeah...that's because you are going via HDMI. To get 60fps, you need to go via Thunderbolt/MDP. I would not have known so if I didn't come across this info when I was digging around for specs. I would have noticed after I connected it and saw the shuttering on the display though. You can order the part on Amazon and have it tomorrow...I think Amazon has it. They have another MDP adapter that should work...but I would play it safe and get the one that both LG & B&H said to use.

Your 2013 MBP should work using the MDP....depending on what card you have. If for some reason you have an issue, you should be able to use any 2013 to connect. If yours is an earlier one...you MIGHT need to run this patch, but I highly doubt it. But just in case, have this on hand....

https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/04/how-to-enable-4k-60hz-resolution-2016-macbook/

Harry
[doublepost=1476305744][/doublepost]Frame rate aside, what do you think of the display??? How accurate is the color? I'm not going to use it for playing games...so the FR is not so vital to me. It will be when watching a movie though...

Harry

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
First of all, props for figuring this out mostly on your own, DrtyHarry.

I'll just do a bit of terminology clearing. What you are referring to as a "Thunderbolt to MDP" adaptor/cable (your link on B&H) is instead a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. No Thunderbolt involved.
That cable plugs into the Thunderbolt port on the Mac, since the Thunderbolt port is compatible with the DisplayPort standard for video connections, but the cable isn't a Thunderbolt cable.

In addition, it can be said to be a general rule that DisplayPort should always be preferred over HDMI since it is a newer standard and is capable of higher bandwidths and therefore higher resolutions and refresh rates.
One should only involve HDMI at all if DisplayPort isn't an option.

Reactions: DrtyHarry

raw1261

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
Ok I used the frame rate and yes only getting 30 I will let you know tomorrow once I get the other cable mdp to dp and see what that says.... thanks so much for your help

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
First of all, props for figuring this out mostly on your own, DrtyHarry.

I'll just do a bit of terminology clearing. What you are referring to as a "Thunderbolt to MDP" adaptor/cable (your link on B&H) is instead a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. No Thunderbolt involved.
That cable plugs into the Thunderbolt port on the Mac, since the Thunderbolt port is compatible with the DisplayPort standard for video connections, but the cable isn't a Thunderbolt cable.

My bad for not being a bit clearer. Yes...it's not a Thunderbolt cable. I only used the term to indicate that you are going from your Thunderbolt port to the display MDP port. I mentioned this elsewhere and people were saying "but I don't have a MDP on my MBP"....so yeah, you are just using the cable above to go from the Thunderbolt port on the MBP to connect to the MDP on the display. Thanks for clearing that up.

Kinda silly why LG didn't just include a Thunderbolt port on the display. Or at the very least...splurge and include the $7 cable for those with a MAC to use. I know Thunderbolt is going to be a thing of the past soon....so perhaps that's why. But boy...getting the information from LG and APPLE was really a pain. At first they told me to use an HDMI....than to get an HDMI adapter, than I was told to get a quality HDMI cable....than, after asking more specific questions, I was told to ignore HDMI all together. They got stumped when I asked if I will be getting 60hz with the HDMI. Apple said yes, LG said no. The guys at B&H were the most helpful. They knew more than LG & Apple combined.

Sadly, I had to cancel my order as I ran low on funds by the time the release date came. I may reorder very soon though...funds prohibiting. :)

Harry

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Kinda silly why LG didn't just include a Thunderbolt port on the display. Or at the very least...splurge and include the $7 cable for those with a MAC to use. I know Thunderbolt is going to be a thing of the past soon....so perhaps that's why.
- Thunderbolt is incredibly expensive, so you don't find it on too many monitors sadly. LG does have quite a few with it, though.
But Thunderbolt definitely isn't going anywhere. Thunderbolt 3 is on many newer PC laptops and you can be sure it will be on the next MacBook Pro.

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Ok I used the frame rate and yes only getting 30 I will let you know tomorrow once I get the other cable mdp to dp and see what that says.... thanks so much for your help

No problem! I'm kinda annoyed that after breaking apart the internet that I had to cancel my order. I am curious to hear what your first impressions are on the display and if in fact you feel it's worth $1500 ($1300 if you take $200 off of B&H for the gift card). Congrats on your new display...

Harry
[doublepost=1476307535][/doublepost]
- Thunderbolt is incredibly expensive, so you don't find it on too many monitors sadly. LG does have quite a few with it, though.
But Thunderbolt definitely isn't going anywhere. Thunderbolt 3 is on many newer PC laptops and you can be sure it will be on the next MacBook Pro.

Yeah...I noticed that LG had TB ports on some of their older displays, but on none of the newer ones they just recently released. An Apple rep told me that TB2 was on the way out and that TB3 and USB-C were going to work in sync together and be able to move at about 40Gbps. So I am thinking that LG didn't put the TB port on this display is because future MBPs will soon have TB3 that will simply connect with the USB3 port on the the display. I could be wrong....

Harry

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Yeah...I noticed that LG had TB ports on some of their older displays, but on none of the newer ones they just recently released. An Apple rep told me that TB2 was on the way out and that TB3 and USB-C were going to work in sync together and be able to move at about 40Gbps. So I am thinking that LG didn't put the TB port on this display is because future MBPs will soon have TB3 that will simply connect with the USB3 port on the the display. I could be wrong....
- Thunderbolt 2 is of course on the way out. LG could have put Thunderbolt 3, though, if they wanted.
The monitor doesn't have USB-C either. The USB ports are just for pure USB data, not a display connection.

USB-C such as in the MacBook 12" and some other LG displays also use DisplayPort through the USB-C port, by the way.

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
- Thunderbolt 2 is of course on the way out. LG could have put Thunderbolt 3, though, if they wanted.
The monitor doesn't have USB-C either. The USB ports are just for pure USB data, not a display connection.

USB-C such as in the MacBook 12" and some other LG displays also use DisplayPort through the USB-C port, by the way.

Gotcha...I thought the USB ports on the display were to both connect the display and to use for other hardware. Understood. Just out of curiosity...would the MB12 be able to use this display? Could you go from USB-C to MDP?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
would the MB12 be able to use this display? Could you go from USB-C to MDP?
- Yes, easily. The MacBook can use displays on equal footing with other machines. It has full DisplayPort 1.2 in the USB-C port. It's just a matter of cabling.

Regular USB-A 3.0 ports can't be used for display connections.

(As one of your links deals with, though, the MacBook doesn't support 2160p UHD at 60 Hz standard primarily due to limitations on the USB-C port. Namely that if 60 Hz is utilised, the USB functionality for data will drop to USB 2.0 speeds. Which is why Apple has disabled 60 Hz by default.)

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
- Yes, easily. The MacBook can use displays on equal footing with other machines. It has full DisplayPort 1.2 in the USB-C port. It's just a matter of cabling.

Regular USB-A 3.0 ports can't be used for display connections.

(As one of your links deals with, though, the MacBook doesn't support 2160p UHD at 60 Hz standard primarily due to limitations on the USB-C port. Namely that if 60 Hz is utilised, the USB functionality for data will drop to USB 2.0 speeds. Which is why Apple has disabled 60 Hz by default.)

I read that the GPU limits are actually incorrect and that it is capable of going higher. There is one write up I read that also had a video where the patch above is used. No heating issues reported and no other problems at all reported. I'm not sure if I would feel safe running that patch, but a later write up I read said that you didn't even need the patch to make it work. I didn't dig more into it because I don't have a 12, but since you brought it up and for anyone else with a 12 wondering. Do you know if that patch would be needed or can you do it without?

Thanks so much for the info...I'm sure this info will come in handy to many others. I should probably edit the HDMI info above as to not confuse anyone....

Reactions: azt33

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I read that the GPU limits are actually incorrect and that it is capable of going higher. There is one write up I read that also had a video where the patch above is used. No heating issues reported and no other problems at all reported. I'm not sure if I would feel safe running that patch, but a later write up I read said that you didn't even need the patch to make it work. I didn't dig more into it because I don't have a 12, but since you brought it up and for anyone else with a 12 wondering. Do you know if that patch would be needed or can you do it without?
- I think you maybe quoted my post as I was editing it. I removed the GPU bit since the limitation really has more to do with the way the USB-C port works.

The patch is needed from what I know.

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
- I think you maybe quoted my post as I was editing it. I removed the GPU bit since the limitation really has more to do with the way the USB-C port works.

The patch is needed from what I know.

I asked because I would have thought that after a while Apple would have done away with the restriction and let customers use 60hz if it was possible. And it looks like with the upgrade of Sierra...it may very well work.

If you read the comments on the bottom of the link with the patch, some have stated the following (with Sierra):

• sceptikol11 days ago
    Reports are that running macOS sierra allows you to run 4k60Hz WITHOUT this patch/hack. KickShark, what do you say about that?

• Daniel Garcia
    22 days ago
    I have this exact setup (LG monitor and MacBook 12" 2016) and and confirm with a new install of macOS Sierra, that you don't need this and 60htz is enabled by default.
    Great stuff.

Reactions: JTToft

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I asked because I would have thought that after a while Apple would have done away with the restriction and let customers use 60hz if it was possible. And it looks like with the upgrade of Sierra...it may very well work.

If you read the comments on the bottom of the link with the patch, some have stated the following (with Sierra):
- Cool. It's a trade-off, though, as you'll lose USB 3.0 at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.