Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new MacBook Air models that are set to be released tomorrow will have a day-one update, according to MacRumors contributor Aaron Perris.

macbook-air-blue-image.jpg

Both the 13.6-inch and 15.3-inch MacBook Air models that are set to launch tomorrow are running a special build of macOS Sonoma 14.3, with a version number of 23D2057.

Users will be prompted to update to macOS Sonoma 14.4 tomorrow, as the software saw a public release today. Given the timing of the software's launch and the debut of the new MacBook Air models, Apple was not able to get the macOS Sonoma 14.4 update installed on them.

Apple's M3 MacBook Air models are priced starting at $1099 for the 13-inch version and $1299 for the 15-inch version. Customers who pre-ordered will receive their machines on March 8, which is also when the new MacBook Air models will be available in Apple retail locations.

Article Link: New M3 MacBook Air Models to Have Day-One macOS Update

• Haha
Reactions: u+ive

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Makes sense. 14.4 wasn’t quite ready, and also wasn’t needed. 13.3 with minor patches to support the newer hardware is fine.

That said, 14.4 includes quite a few security fixes, so you should update ASAP.

• Haha

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Both the 13.6-inch and 15.3-inch MacBook Air models that are set to launch tomorrow are running a special build of macOS Sonoma 14.3, with a version number of 23D2057.

Users will be prompted to update to macOS Sonoma 14.4 tomorrow, as the software saw a public release today. Given the timing of the software's launch and the debut of the new MacBook Air models, Apple was not able to get the macOS Sonoma 14.4 update installed on them.
The prompt to update to macOS 14.4 feels very iPhone 15-ish where you were prompted to update to iOS 17.0.2 to avoid running into issues

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
For all the whiners who will diss the day one update. I remember in the 1980s when I was the computer guy in my unit at an Air Force Base. I wasn’t designated as an IT employee but since I was a recent college grad with engineering degrees and computer experience, I was the guy. When we would order a computer it would come in parts. We had a choice. Either I could set it up or we could wait a few months for the IT unit to come and set it up. So I did it. I had to insert the boards, insert ram chips for anything above the base ram. Boot the computer, install the operating system floppy disk by floppy disk and there were lots of them. Then install other programs as needed. So be happy computers update over the network these days. It really is far simpler these days.

Last edited:

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
As much as I loved my previous Intel MacBook Air and knowing I wanted a little more screen real estate I thought long and hard about upgrading to the 15” M2 MacBook Air but held off knowing the M3 versions would be shipping likely in less than a year so I bit the bullet on the base 14” MacBook Pro with 16 GB of RAM (8 GB of RAM in anything labeled a Pro machine at this point is a joke) and a 512 GB SSD and I’m glad I did. The display is superior even though it’s not quite as large as the 15” Air but I do enjoy the additional ports and the active cooling technology that can hopefully sustain the M3’s performance for longer periods of time than you’d get with the passive cooling technology in the Air line.

A part of me still wanted to pull the trigger when these were announced but it’s too much of a PITA to sell my unit on eBay or some other online market place to get closer to fair market value on a system that’s only about 6 months old versus trading it into Apple or Best Buy and then you’d have to pay the difference which would at least be another few hundred for what I assume is a slightly bigger display but with inferior display technology, a lack of extra ports and a a little less battery life. I did love how light and quiet it was but I can barely notice when the fan is running on the MacBook Pro and it still feels pretty darn light for laptop so I’m probably staying put for now and will take good long look at where the Air line is at 3 or 4 years from now when I’m ready to upgrade again.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: u+ive and Dj64Mk7

Polinsky

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2023
Day one update release notes:
- Adds second display support when lid is closed so marketing has a bullet point to launch with
I have no idea what this statement means. What does this have to do with marketing?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Maybe it's because they need the wireless technologies that are only on iPhones like cellular.

Glad you brought that up

How in the world do we not have optional integrated Cellular on MacBooks yet?

I thought for sure we'd finally get that when they switched from Intel and could harness the new efficiency to bring us extremely useful, yet power hungry, options like integrated Cellular

This seems like such an obvious and trivial feature to provide (again - optionally, like on iPads)

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Once got a Windows modem, which required one to go online and download drivers to use the modem...

THAT was a Day-One update. 🤬
I remember the pre-internet days where you would go to various discussion boards for information. You couldn't download images per se because of file size limits so you had to download them in pieces and then combine the pieces into one file to see the image. It was amazing to actually see an image on your computer screen. Usually low resolution copies of Sports Illustrated swimsuit photos.

• Haha
Reactions: duncandb and u+ive

KENESS

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2003
Glad you brought that up

How in the world do we not have optional integrated Cellular on MacBooks yet?

I thought for sure we'd finally get that when they switched from Intel and could harness the new efficiency to bring us extremely useful, yet power hungry, options like integrated Cellular

This seems like such an obvious and trivial feature to provide (again - optionally, like on iPads)
Apple doesn't like "module" type upgrades, so at best it'd probably be a dongle. I'm sure everyone here would be totally on-board with that.

• Haha

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Apple doesn't like "module" type upgrades, so at best it'd probably be a dongle. I'm sure everyone here would be totally on-board with that.

What's a module upgrade?

We have Cellular iPads - and have forever - why not an option for a MacBook with it?

• Love
Reactions: duncandb

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
What’s the big deal? It seem like almost every piece of new computer hardware (Apple, Window PC, printers) have had day one updates available as soon as I unboxed them and plugged them in for the first time.

I think, The last one that did NOT require a day one update was my Apple //c in 1984.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Good to know. Only the first few batches shipped will be requiring the update after which all the units will be shipping with the updated software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.