Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpanishAppleNerd

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2023
Badajoz
USD. Not Canadian. Not Yen. Not Mexican Pesos.

Here's to hoping that MacRumors can eventually learn to extend a bit more courtesy to non-US readers by actually mentioning the currency.
The thing I miss the most about MacRumors is offering the prices in $ € and pounds like other sites do

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
What’s the big deal?

I don't think there is one.

It would be a slightly bigger deal if there were, like, actual day-one issues (e.g., the Wi-Fi doesn't work right without updating to 14.4), but it doesn't seem like there are. The Air, judging from glancing at reviews, seems to work great out of the box.

Reactions: Chuckeee

KENESS

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2003
What's a module upgrade?

We have Cellular iPads - and have forever - why not an option for a MacBook with it?
I meant, I doubt they'd want to have different versions of the main logic board for Macs. The far lower volumes Mac's sell in makes their logic boards much more expensive than iPhone or iPad logic boards due to economies of scale, and having multiple versions would make them even more expensive.

So by 'module' I meant some kind of add-on component that you could install internally. Common practice back in the day, of course, but not something Apple does anymore. Therefore, if they WERE to do it, which I doubt, it would quite possibly end up as a dongle.

In any event, this was just my guess. Though I think the reasoning is reasonable... haha

Reactions: turbineseaplane

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I meant, I doubt they'd want to have different versions of the main logic board for Macs. The far lower volumes Mac's sell in makes their logic boards much more expensive than iPhone or iPad logic boards due to economies of scale, and having multiple versions would make them even more expensive.

I don't believe cellular iPads have a different logic board. They simply leave out the chips (and antennas) for cellular, or drop in a chip that's Wi-Fi-only.

Apple would do the same on a Mac. Much like they already do with SSDs, for example: lower-end Mac configurations leave some flash chip pins empty.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
No, "$" is multiple currencies, USD, CAD, AUD, etc all use that same symbol. So using "US$" for example is what MacRumors should do to make it unambiguous.
I thought $ originated from a U overlaid on top of an S. Then it was simplify by removing the curve on the bottom of the U, Since this curve part for interfered with the bottom curve, part of the S. This resulted in an S with two vertical line struct through it. This was then later, simplified to a single vertical line, strike through which resulted in the $.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
How in the world do we not have optional integrated Cellular on MacBooks yet?
It isn't a simple drop-in addon. It far increases the attack surface and adds complexity as Apple now has to guarantee cellular modem firmware updates for the device's entire lifespan which is longer than the 5 years Apple guarantees full security patching on iOS. Furthermore, iOS was built with cellular functionality in mind and there is an entire additional computer inside iPhones (and cellular iPads of course) called the baseband that runs its own OS and executes its own commands directly connected to what's an untrusted network (the cellular network).

The baseband needs to be properly segregated from the OS and even on iOS Apple has messed that up in the past if you look at the Apple triangulation attack that affected modern iPhones up to version 15.7 (Apple then closed this security hole but that came after it was actively exploited for months already) simply by sending a malicious text message to an iPhone that was then remotely and quietly completely taken over.

And that happened with the highly locked down devices that iPhones are where Apple has full control over what apps you can install and what OS version runs. Now imagine how much harder it would be to secure a Mac running a desktop OS like MacOS. Whilst I would like to see cellular modems on the Mac for convenience it's really a security nightmare.

I thought $ originated from a U overlaid on top of an S.
It's apparently the letters p and s (peso), not u and s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.