Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New Mac Ads: V Word and Bean Counter

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
They're ok, seems sort of petty to rebut a rebuttal ad.

Well they are trying to make a valid point that simply avoiding Vista's problems (the Mohave commercials) or publicly putting money into advertising Vista in its current state, isn't going to change the problem that MS faces - People are switching to Mac because they don't like Vista. MS has admitted this and yet what are they doing? Saying that users are ill informed (Mohave) or just get Jerry Seinfeld and our ex CEO to make Vista look appealing. Apple's point is that MS is addressing their problems in the wrong way. They should be fixing Vista rather than distracting people from the issue.
Honestly, all we really hear MS talk about when it concerns Windows is either "Vista is not that bad!" or "Windows 7".

I found them amusing. Honestly though, What do you expect Apple to do? Take the Microsoft approach and advertise nothing concerning their brand?

Comment

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Personally, I love them. I love how PC moves the cash over on the second one... definitely got me a laugh.

Comment

jakk2809

macrumors member
May 24, 2007
Nice find. I like these commercials even though this is like a 2 year ad campaign. Whoever does these are really creative. By the way, who does the Apple ads anyway? Are the 'Get a Mac' and 'iPod+iTunes' ads made by the same people?

Comment

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
I just watched them, they're FUNNY!!! PC users just don't get it, because (like their commercial says) they are PCs!

What a sad life to lead... :D

Comment

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
As an avid Mac user and geek I find them all hilarious. On the other hand, as an investor who wants that market share to grow more, I would like to see Apple focus more on the "Off the air" kind of ads, the ones that focus on why to switch.

Comment

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
I just watched them, they're FUNNY!!! PC users just don't get it, because (like their commercial says) they are PCs!

Fact is - the new Im A PC Ads by Microsoft .. mean .. nothing .. they are simply saying that the person using the PC .. is using a PC.

As if unity in numbers make everything ok ... a bit like saying 100,000,000,000,0000 flies cant be wrong - Eat Sh*t! :p

Comment

Doctor Q

Contributor
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I love the "Bean Counter" ad. Maybe people will think of it each time they see Microsoft's "I'm a PC" ads.

Apple spends money on advertising as well, but Apple doesn't have to remind people that it devotes a lot of resources to R&D since they are already known for innovation.

Comment

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007

Sorry, but what a pathetic post. :rolleyes:

I hope you were joking

Both are amazing LOL!

amazing - really? They're just the same crap Apple have been doing for years, it stopped being funny a while back, and no one in the world cares anymore.

Comment

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
pretty funny but apple probably spends more money on advertising than MS does (but what do I know?). I have never seen an MS ad on TV but I've seen plenty of Mac ads.

If apple spent less $ on advertising maybe they could use the money they saved to put a DVD burner in the Mac mini...lol.

Comment

kevkev

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Reading
It was only until I decided to switch to Mac that the adverts became funny.
Ah the good old days of my ignorance.

Kev.

Comment

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Haha, wow, these ads are a lot better than Apple's last three. Bean Counter was hilarious, and the V-word was pretty good, but may have been funnier if they dropped the m-word in there.

At least Apple isn't being somewhat self-contradictory here like they were with the pizza box ad a few months ago.

Comment

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Very clever ads and a very clever response to Redmond's recent campaign. Once the "I'm a PC and I have been stereotyped" ads began, there was a belief that they had one upped Apple's ad campaign in the sense that they had diffused the humor in the PC character, hence, Apple would have to abandon that campaign. At least it would have made it seem petty. But I have to handle it to Apple's ad agency, this was a very clever response and it has a lot of truth in it. Microsoft's campaign has had NOTHING to do with Vista, how "innovative" it is or how "well" it "works". Calling out big brother for spending a whole lot of money to made a bad product sound better was a good angle to take and these ads pull it off very well in my opinion.

Comment

MrChurchyard

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
They're ok, seems sort of petty to rebut a rebuttal ad.
Are you kidding? It's such a great response. Mocking them with light-hearted humour, not taking them too seriously... And it's pretty funny, too! Hodgman is a great comedian.

Comment

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I enjoyed them for what they were but, as has been said, it is a bit strange that so many of these ads don't even mention using Macs anymore. There's certainly no advertising of the products going on; surely if they focused on the positives of the Mac a bit more; more comparison ads even, more people would think about switching.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.