Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Ok. We can assume you will be paying $1000 more for the MB Pro, so what do you think the new models will have that the current refresh of Mac Books doesn't have. Will it be worth the price difference? GO!

By the way I am using logic pro and photoshop. I record music for fun, and my wife does wedding photography on the side.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Ok. We can assume you will be paying $1000 more for the MB Pro, so what do you think the new models will have that the current refresh of Mac Books doesn't have. Will it be worth the price difference? GO!

More like $700 more.

The difference will be even more pronounced if they give the MBP a real upgrade, and not a Macbook-style non-upgrade.

I'd expect an 800MHz FSB, possibly the ability to use 4GB of RAM, hopefully a decent mid-range GPU, and also they'll continue to have better keyboards. Possibly integrated flash memory, if Apple decides they're going to use that in 10.5.

My big issue is still the need for user replaceable hard drive. I'm really hoping for that, as none of Apple's current notebooks fit my needs :(

Rocketman

macrumors 603

The rumoired MBP should have LCD lit screens which is a pretty major battery saver. They will likely ship with Santa Rosa so will support more than the current 3gb memory. MB only can support 2. So memory capacity is your primary driver.

On the downside to the MBP, the MB can stand uncareful handling much better and the plastic case is better for wireless reception, and they are far less money. They are an outstanding value IMHO.

MBP on the other hand does have larger and nicer screens including a 17" option, can have FW 800 instead of mere 400, full DVI plug instead of cheater plug with a dongle to convert anything you really need. MBP have bigger batteries, and look cooler.

So it has to do with your need for many or large programs, how you handle your portable (every day portability or occasional portability).

On a feature per dollar basis the MB wins hands down. But it is always those special features, if you need them, like ExpressCard34 slot, or backlit keyboard, that can sway the switch to MBP and eliminate the option.

Rocketman

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
At this point, everything is speculation regarding the MBPs. There are a lot of features that COULD be included, but no one knows what WILL be.

SR, 2.2Ghz/2.4Ghz
800Mhz FSB, 4GBs of RAM supported
LED Backlit Screens
160GB HDs standard
1GB RAM in the low-end model (1 so-dimm), and 2GBs standard in the others
Bump to 8x Superdrive on all models

That's probably the most realistic, I'd say.

IMO, it's worth it to wait until WWDC and then compare which laptop suits you best.

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
Does anyone have any idea if the NEW Macbooks have 24 bit audio line in?
The current Macbook PROs have it, but the MBs didn't.

Thanks in advance!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.