New Mac for me!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Wyvernspirit, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Just had to say something to people who know something about Macs ( and computers in general) as most of the people I deal with know absolutely nothing or care really about computers or Macs.

Well, I am finally getting an intel Mac. I am upgrading from my venerable upgraded PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 2002 800Mhz. I had upgraded it to 1.2 Ghz, upgraded the RAM to 1GB and had three Hard drives (2x120GB, 1x40GB) and a DVD burner installed. I upgraded my video to a ATI 9600 w 64MB and have been using a 19" LCD HANNS·G (1440x900) Monitor.

Well on to my new baby:

Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB RAM (Will go to OWC soon to upgrade to at least 2, my olden can't even have 2GB!)
    320GB Hard Drive (More then the 3 I had in my old one, one of the 120 will be made external)
    8x SuperDrive (I remember when a superdrive was a Floppy, not sure what my DVD burner speed was)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO w 256MB Memory
    iSight Camera.

The funny thing is, the system bus, is as fast as my original processor! Now not having expansion slots is a little sad, but this thing meets or extremely exceeds my old system, so will be very happy. Not sure if will use bootcamp or not, but have the option now, don't have money left to get parallels or Fusion so that is not an option yet.

Now I had to mortgage my soul to get this, so hopefully will be able to get that back ;) .

Anyways, don't really expect anyone to be excited or comment, but felt like cheering myself on as its been 6 years since I got a new computer.

Maybe I will post updates on its shipment and reception here as well, as I got the slowest (ie cheapest) shipment possible.

Oh and I plan on recycling an old computer for free (not my PowerMac however) with apple as I have a few I would like to get rid of around here.
    Guess I will need to change my Sig soon too.

Apple has now told me the iMac is Prepared to ship!

:apple: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :apple:

2. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

At least you have an iPhone! Congrats. on the new system, you'll love it.

3. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Yeah, all my money went to that "old" iPhone. ;)

And thanks, I am sure that I will love my new iMac. :D

4. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Honestly I am getting a new one just for the 3G, and I can now afford it, when I couldn't about a year ago..

Also, if I don't like the "plastic" back I might end up trading for an "old" one :)

5. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I think the plastic back might just mean it will have better signal. But today my iPhone's value just plummeted like a rock!

6. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Not if that plastic scratches like an ipod back!

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

congrats on the new mac!

what do you plan to do with the old one?

8. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I plan on holding onto it for now, break it down a little and maybe give it to a family member who has no computer. The biggest problem is that it overheats and won't always restart after a complete shut down. I seem to have found that this may be due to the graphics card as running the grphx board under the air conditioner and putting it back seems to have solved that problem. if I can find my old card I might put it back and see if that works.

I suppose I could try to sell it, with the issue fully disclosed, but am not sure I would be able to get enough for it to warrant the effort.

9. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Fedex has received the package data. Jun 17 is the expected delivery date and an expected weight of 26lbs. Unfortuantely no one will be home on that day, so I may have to wait a day to get it. :(

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Fedex, in my experience with two Macs, take forever to ship. I mean, it seems like forever - they're usually spot-on in their delivery quotes.

Apple sent the notice to Fedex to pick up my MBP, after I bought it, and it took them almost four days before they even picked it up. Not to mention two-day-long pauses at various Fedex centers between there and here.

11. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I have never had an issue with Fedex and a delivery. I had dealt with a lot of deliveries in my employment history from many shipping companies and they have been the most reliable for me.

12. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

Depending on your setup, you could use the old one to serve as a media center, no?

13. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Fedex has it

FedEx has possesion of my iMac in ca. Its finally on its way!

14. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Yeah - they've always delivered it by the time they estimate, it's just I keep wondering why it takes them two-four days to arrive/disembark from a Fedex shipping center.. :confused:

15. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Makes you wonder how accurate those online updates are!

16. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Well, my iMac has left Sacramento, ca!

As for the time it takes, because it is the cheapest service that is being used, they probably wait till they have a certain amount of items at each stop while leaving a a specified time. They don't fast track it at all, and let it all sit while they handle the "important" parcels.

anyway, now it is actually getting closer to me!

I am now shopping around for Memory, It seems to be OWC (24-33 for 1GB with slow to 2nd day delivery) or I can pick some up at work for about 35. I think the Memory at work is Kingston, but I will need to double check that I get the right one.

17. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

As 3:45 am June 12 the iMac is in transit out of NORTH SALT LAKE, UT after a trip through Reno, NV on June 11.

18. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

^^ it's so stinkin' painful watching your new baby slloooowwlllly traverse the country. I'm in New York, and it was estimated at I think ten days, but I've never had time go by so slowly. I'd lay awake at night thinking "What if it got lost?" "What if Fedex dropped it?" or "What if the Fedex plane crashed?"

19. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Yes it is, though I don't have to worry about the plane crashing as it is the free ground shipping offered by apple.

By the way, the tracking finally has updated to read:

Jun 16, 2008 1:14 PM Arrived at FedEx location WILLINGTON, CT

So at least its in New England, but not MA yet. :(

Oh, and I have purchased some Kingston 1GB RAM that is sitting next to my monitor for when the iMac finally arrives. One of the first things I will do is this upgrade so that I will have 2GB of RAM till I can afford and justify a 4GB upgrade. Cost me about $30, could have gotten it cheaper online, but without any guarantee as to the delivery date.

20. jhawk2 macrumors member

jhawk2

Dude when I get my ibook G4(only thing I can afford) I think I will be really excited to! I can tottaly imagine your agony waiting.:( Hope it gets there soon!
    Keep the updated coming! And tell us how it works out!
    Cheers!

21. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Why do you want the iBook? And do you want a 12" or 14"?

I know a few places where you can get them, and feel comfortable that they will preform as expected. PowerMax, with whom I have done business in the past, I have links to above for each, starting at $399.

MegaMacs could be another, looks like their cheapest is $540.

Anyways, good luck in your search, and have you tried eBay?

22. jhawk2 macrumors member

jhawk2

Lol Because I think It will fit what I am doing and because I have a very limited budget.:( It does not really matter on the screen size. I would prefer one that plays dvd's. Yes I have tried ebay. I dont think I am going to buy one off there though. To much scamming. I am looking on craigslist.
    Have fun with the new mac!

23. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Overnight my computer went from CT to Northborough and is now out for delivery. So I can expect it any time now in the next 1o hours.

24. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

You will love it :) those new Alu iMacs are the business :D

25. jhawk2 macrumors member

jhawk2

Awesome! Dont hug the UPS/USPS/Fed-Ex/DHL man to hard when you get it!:D
    Lol Yeah well tell us how it works when you get it!