New Mac mini display is fuzzy

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by zackwhitman, Jul 28, 2011.

1. zackwhitman macrumors member

I just purchased a new mac mini and hooked it up to my vizio 22 inch hdtv with a HDMI cable. no matter what setting i have it on, the display and text still seems fuzzy and not HD. 1080p,1080i,720p,etc they all look fuzzy. right now i don't even have it set on an HD setting just one of the regular settings.

please help me?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Fond the native resolution for your tv and set it to that!

3. zackwhitman thread starter macrumors member

its native resolution is 1366x768 so how do i set it to exactly that?

4. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

You need to go into the Display settings and update the resolution to match the native res of the TV. That can be done usually by selecting the gear looking icon from the Dock, then select Display.

Typically the computer will auto detect the res of the monitor, so not sure this step should really be needed, but good to check anyway.

5. zackwhitman thread starter macrumors member

there is only a bunch of preset resolutions to choose, you can't just set it to a certain resolution. anyone who can help me with this?

6. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Hmmm. That seems odd. And your 1366x768 isn't an option? Is it just giving you the TV formats? Like 1080p, 720p, 480p, etc?

Have you run all the updates for the Mini? I didn't have any issue when I hooked mine up to my television. Do you have it connected to any other monitors at the same time?

7. zackwhitman thread starter macrumors member

I just bought this, its the brand new mac mini. and yes it just has preset TV configurations like 1080p,etc. I am looking for updates and don't see any, mostly because its brand new and the new mac mini is only a week old now. i have no idea how to get it to this native resolution!

8. zackwhitman thread starter macrumors member

and no i do not have any other monitors running. i just have it connected directly to HDMI ports. there was no DVI connector on the back of my tv, just a VGA

9. hardax macrumors regular

you may have to uncheck "show only choices for this device" (or words to that effect) to see the big list.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

My understanding is that HDMI only offers HD settings including 480p, 720p and 1080p. To get specific resolution options including the monitor's native option you have to use DVI or VGA.

11. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

your machine is like my sharp the vga is the only computer port. My sharp has 4 hdmi ports and the 1 vga I have to use the vga.

the new mini does work if you use a mini display to vga cable on my sharp.

monoprice sells a cable

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024605&p_id=6002&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024605&p_id=6003&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024605&p_id=6004&seq=1&format=2

12. zackwhitman thread starter macrumors member

thanks philip! ill definitely look into that!

13. suilobo macrumors newbie

Having same issue. Bought a brand new macmini with HDMI port only, connected to SONY 52XBR6 TV. All the text seem fuzzy, not that crisp. I had a PC hooked to it previously, using same HDMI cable and port and did not have this problem. The Mac mini detects the Sony TV as SONY TV XV. HAve it set to 1080p 24Hz and 60 Hz, same results.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

14. monkeybongo macrumors member

Same issue using the included HDMI-DVI adaptor, looks decent playing graphics and video but text sharpness is not as nice with my older Mac Mini over VGA at native resolution. I ended up ordering the monoprice adaptor as well.

15. Scrobz macrumors newbie

Offtopic question to

I have an offtopic question to philipma1957 related to this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1206632

I too am using a displayport to vga dongle, but when the display sleep hits in I am unable to wake it up. Do you have this problem too?

16. suilobo macrumors newbie

Issue resolved! Installed switchresx and tweaked the settings of the output. Mac mini was giving option for 1080p @ either 24 hz or 60 hz only. Using switchresx, I was able to create a resolution of 1080p @ 71hz. Once I changed it to that resolution and rebooted, everything looked better!!

17. iAppleTom macrumors newbie

Solution

I am seriously frustrated with this issue so i decided to give up on all the Terminal stuff on the mac itself.
    The solution is to change the sharpness on your monitor! Then it makes the picture look really nice and soft! Try it out.:apple: