New Mac Mini next year?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slooksterPSV, Sep 13, 2017.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I want to get back into the gist of Apple but the Mac Mini hasn't been updated in so long and that's what I want (for the price range). Do you think they'll update t soon or are they going to merge iOS and do like a phone dock to make iOS more desktop experience like?

My goal is next year in March

2. DesertSurfer macrumors 6502a

DesertSurfer

Between the Sonoran Desert and the Pacific Ocean
  3. Bollockser macrumors regular

If they can deliver a Mac Mini with:
    Quad i7
    32+GB RAM capacity, non-soldered
    PCIe SSD non soldered, non-proprietary
    They can take my money.

4. LorenK macrumors 6502

The only thing certain is that winter is coming.

5. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

6. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Maybe just maybe I can save for an iMac with retina

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

If Apple does an event with the iMac Pro in November, they may update so they add filler to the event. Perhaps displays and external GPUs and a starter VR System using the new Mini.

8. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I hope that they do release a new one in November. What is November? I know in May its WWDC.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

IMac Pro due end of the year. Apple never does keynotes in December. September and October are focused the iPhone and other iOS products. Logically, November is the only month Apple would talk about Macs and they can do a quick recap of sales of the iPhone and Apple Watch.

10. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

With the way iOS has been functioning I'm even considering doing an iPad. I want a desktop or laptop though.

It's odd because iOS does feel that great that I think I could use it like a desktop. Mainly for school, work, and that. The only thing I'd be missing is development tools.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

How about a second hand MacBook Air?? They are cheap, plentiful, work well with external screens (and are unobtrusive on a desk) in clamshell mode, are great little workhorses on the road when needed Andy can be docked for ease of use with peripherals.

12. dukeblue219 macrumors member

Whether they'll update it or not is anyone's guess. I'd lean towards no, but it's not quite clear. However, I think there's zero chance they'll do a phone dock that turns an iPhone into a desktop. That doesn't seem like their MO at all.

From the iOS side your "desktop alternative" is the existing iPad Pro line with a keyboard.

For macOS you could always just get a used Mini to play with (since new are a little expensive for their dated component)

13. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Even the Mac minis that are dated are still expensive. MacOfAllTrades wants like a good chunk in shipping fees ($25-60 depending on the Mac type). Hmmm.

The MacBook Air is tempting its light and I love my hp stream only because it's light. Heavy laptops are a pain. Maybe I'll do the air instead and get an HDMI dongle. Maybe a second hand one as advised above

14. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

I could see a November event, but I also don't see a new Mac Mini. I'm thinking a good part of a November event would be dedicated to the HomePod, unless it gets pushed to next year. I was really surprised they didn't mention the HomePod much or at all on Tuesday.

15. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

I think they might still update it. The Mac mini is like the iPod touch of Macs right now – it's there so people can still have an affordable entry point, but it's not their priority to keep it cutting-edge.

They've always drawn an explicit distinction between iOS and the Mac, so I definitely don't see them doing the kind of merging you seemed to be asking about.

16. seatton macrumors 6502

seatton

It is funny I told my first son that thing when he wanted me to get a new Mac Mini when he started his elementary school. Now my last son is about to finish his PhD and it has not happened yet (just kidding).

17. ImageStealer macrumors newbie

ImageStealer

Don't hold your breath. You'll turn purple and die.

18. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Can we not just keep the same old sad depressing thread ... please mods? You know the one where we're all dieing trying kicking and screaming over 5 pages long? consolidate threads please mods?

THanks.

19. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Wow a simple question in a new thread who knew it would cause such an issue :-/

20. DevNull0 macrumors 65816

Your money is safe, and so is mine :(

21. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Dream on...

22. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I had a Mac Mini 2010 and it was 3x faster than my top end PowerMac G5 dual CPU from 2003. Then sold that Mac Mini for the 2012 model with its upgraded USB 3.0 ports and two built-in 1 TB drives and 4 cores. I would upgrade to the 2018 that should be a huge improvement over 2012 comparable to the jump I experienced from 2003 to 2010. Hopefully Apple will realize they could make more money by launching a new Mac Mini model soon.

If Apple didn't sell a new iPhone model since 2014, I am sure they wouldn't make as much money on the iPhone today. They should learn from that experience and sell an updated Mac Mini model at more frequent intervals.

23. krause734 macrumors 6502

krause734

24. Fishrrman macrumors G3

As is often repeated, "the new Mac Mini is most certainly coming".

But if we don't see it between, say, October of this year and February of next, perhaps it's time to look for something else.
    It will arrive just after Godot.

25. shaunp macrumors 65816

I wouldn't bet anything on Apple releasing a new Mini this year and if they do anything it will be a minor spec increase just because they can't buy the relevant CPU's from Intel any longer. I fear Apple is all about phones, karaoke and watch straps these days.