New Mac Owner Concerned About Display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RoqueCub, Aug 17, 2011.

1. RoqueCub macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new iMac owner as of today. I just got the 27" i5 3.1 GHz. Upped the video card and the hard drive. That aside, I've been reading about the yellowing issue. I got home and fired up my iMac and at first, it seemed to me like the screen was "dirty". After looking at it more, I opened up a screen with a full white display and took some pictures. It appears where it was "dirty", is a dark band across the bottom 1/3rd of the screen. If I can post a picture, should I return this computer for a different one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

3. lamboman macrumors 6502

Come on now, what's the point in posting if you are going to say that? Just saying...:rolleyes:

To the OP, it does look quite bad, I just did the same thing on my iMac and it's nowhere near as bad as that. I'd send it back.

4. RoqueCub thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, it looks worse than it does in the picture. I can't help but notice it on everything I do on it now. I'll probably bring it back in the morning.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

By dirty .. you mean the gray band which cross almost at the bottom of the screen? Well I got it too, maybe in mine is not as dark as yours, only a slight darker band .. not necessarily annoying nor a defect. It's quite common in fact, almost all iMac has it. Your display is honestly quite good and clean from the photo.

But then again you said it looks worse in reality. Before I take actions and return it from the store, I'd go and check several iMac from several store or retail if possible. Ask nicely to view those iMac on white screen on a minimum lighting room, and then compare them to yours.

The problem is .. there is no warranty you'll get a better screen with replacements, yours is good already, but likely things can get ugly, you can get another screen with yellow tinge or even dead pixel, it's not hard to get that from LCD.

6. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

I can't see what you guys see. The screen looks OK to me. I don't see the problem at all.

7. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

I brought my two an half year old 24" up and used a plain white screen, and guess what, the same thing happens. In fact there are also shadows, however, other then just now I have never used a plain (white or any plain color) screen and never will.

If the screen looks good with a wallpaper of your choosing then you will probably not notice this problem. It would appear then you have read to much into this situation, and hence are just trying to find something wrong.

Use the 27" for a couple of weeks to see if there are any further problems and if so then return for another.:)

8. RoqueCub thread starter macrumors newbie

I think its not that huge of a factor, the computer works great. However...

1 What if its just a symptom of a problem that will get worse... I'm going to be stuck with this computer for a while if I don't have something done.

2 I just paid over $2000 bucks for this thing. For that much, should it just be good enough on a random crap shoot that comes out of the factory or should it be good consistent machine that works from the start...

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

It's really simple, if you bought it directly from Apple (either an Apple Store or their online store) you have 14 days to return it. If you are not happy with it return it for an exchange. If you bought it from another retailer you will have to deal with that retailer's return policies.

10. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

Take it back.

I did not see that on my iMac at all.. though, I had a different screen problem and it's in for repair right now.

11. dead flag blues macrumors member

Send it back. I have something similar, tho not nearly as severe. If I try REALLY hard, I'll see it. Or if I take a photo, and mess with Levels in PS I'll see it.

Attached Files:

12. self macrumors regular

My parents just bought a 27" and have the same issue. Is it true that all iMac displays have this issue? Why would it just be the bottom of the display? They also have 2 bad pixels in the upper left corner, although it sounds like they are subpixel defects since they are not completely black.

Attached Files:

13. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Most iMacs have this issue and it has to do with the size of the LCD panel. It just varies in severity. My 27 inch slightly has it. Yours is bad though. Return it.

14. dead flag blues macrumors member

True. Apple Support says that it's a normal occurrence. That's pretty severe tho, I'd send it back.

15. azurehi, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

azurehi macrumors regular

azurehi

I read the iMac forum from time to time, to learn of issues such as described (sorry for those with various display problems). I cannot understand why Apple continues to produce displays with such problems. I have a Acer 23" that I bought 4 years ago for $189 (for use with my PC) and I have absolutely No problems with the display (plus it is matte). I would like to buy an iMac but won't as long as display problems exist. Is it something in the manufacturing process, a design flaw or what? Just asking...

16. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Send it back ! BUt keep in mind that most LG screens are not perfect and until Apple changes suppliers (which it just did) Your chances of getting a good screen are around 30%. Hopefully Samsung starts making screens for the IMAC soon.
    Just so your have a comparison. I have an HP Touchsmart as well as an IMAC and the LG screen also has a yellowish tinge.

17. tcassio macrumors newbie

I have an early 2011 (purchased Mar 2011) 27", and my screen does not have any of these problems. Its perfect. So the blanket statement that all have this issue is not accurate.

Thanks,

18. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I have an early 2011 (purchased Mar 2011) 27", and my screen does not have any of these problems. Its perfect. So the blanket statement that all have this issue is not accurate.

100% agree with this, a friend of mine just bought the same imac and he says its perfect.

19. self macrumors regular

Thanks, we sent it back. The replacement seems better but you can still see the shadow if you move the photo around in little circles. Does anyone else have an opinion? Is this as close to perfect as we should expect?

Attached Files:

20. blunti macrumors 6502a

take it back or send it back. there should be no issues with a new comp what-so-ever!

21. self macrumors regular

Is there a limit to how many times they can return? It seems like after a certain point Apple would say take it or leave it.

My parents are leaning towards keeping it because they're afraid they'll get one that's worse. Either a shadow that's worse or more bad pixels. From the 2 pics I posted, the second one is much better right?

22. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

looks like a fair amount of light bleed on bottom left?

for that kinda $$$ i would want close to perfection

23. self macrumors regular

Looks like you might be right. There is also some light leaking visible on a black background. But the photo makes it looks worse than it is. In person it is very hard to see. It's not something you would notice while watching a movie or whatever.

Attached Files:

24. apw100 macrumors regular

If you have an Apple store near you, just call them and set up an appointment and they can replace the LCD panel.
    Before I ordered my custom 27" iMac, I went to the Apple Store and asked if I could return to the store if the display was defective or had a dead pixel. They said that they couldn't return a online ordered custom system at the store, but they could replace the LCD panel if there were any issues.

25. smartbot macrumors member

smartbot

I had a few screen issues (dead pixels, yellowing) with the first couple iMacs that I got. So when I went in to get my 3rd iMac I asked them to open it up before I take it home. It didn't have any of the previous issues, but it did have a similar band. The tech told me that it was normal and would go away over time (so I decided to give it a chance). I've had it for over a month now and so far so good. I think it has gradually disappeared and I don't really notice it now.

So I would give it a few weeks before you send it back. For me the only real show stoppers are the dead pixels and yellowing...