New Mac Pro at WWDC??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by yipster222, Jun 5, 2007.

  1. yipster222 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2006
    #1
    Any news on updates for the mac pro besides the 8 core cpu?
     
  2. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    #2
    No. Only rumors are of graphic card updates.

    Chances of an updated Mac Pro at WWDC is unlikely as Apple is likely waiting for the new Xeon chipset Seaburg which doesn't go into production until 2H of this year.
     
  3. Queso macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #3
    I could see some new BTO options appearing such as Blu-Ray burners and graphics cards. Nothing major though.

    The iMac on the other hand is well overdue an update.
     
  4. damado macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #4
    The only thing I'd like for the mac pro besides new vid card options is the option to take it in to upgrade the motherboard to get x16 on more than one PCI-E and other minor tweaks. That won't ever happen though :(
     
  5. stoid macrumors 601

    stoid

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2002
    Location:
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    #5
    More than likely is that standard RAM and HD configs will be bumped, and maybe an overall price reduction now that Intel is selling the dual core chips cheaper to compete with AMDs new stuff.
     
  6. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

    dartzorichalcos

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Atlantis
    #6
    Never say never because the PowerMac G5 was introduced into the world at WWDC. The Mac Pro was introduced into the world at WWDC and might be updated at WWDC. The Mac Pro is suitable to be updated at WWDC. I just hope they will put the Seaburg platform into the Mac Pro, if it comes out before WWDC.
     
  7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #7
    I am itching to buy a Mac Pro but I need Apple to update the Mac Pro first.

    I can't wait until August for an update, if the update doesn't come anytime next week I'm pulling the trigger and getting a Quad 2.66.
     
  8. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #8
    And I suppose you have inside information that says they are waiting? Anyhow, as I said in another thread, just because SS isn't here doesn't mean they can't shift the CPUs to match the new pricing.
     
  9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #9
    I really hope you are right about this update!

    Big purchasing decision coming up!
     
  10. statikcat macrumors 6502

    statikcat

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #10
    If Apple is waiting until October to update the processors it would be wise to at least update the GPU, HD, and RAMM until then. Going a year without an update would be a little embarassing.
     
  11. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #11
    Intel have been showing off stoakley with dual GPUs using PCI-E 2.0 apparently. So it'll likely be availble in the Mac Pro revision that comes late int he year or early next year.
     
  12. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #12
    If it is done, Apple could get it anyway. They did get the 3.0Ghz Quad chips before they were really announced.

    I am surprised at the lack of rumors, which of couse isn't a good thing but the focus seems to be on the iMac. However I don't think they will leave the developers hanging.

    Plus, with the upcoming price drops they could potentially go to 3.0Ghz in the base model or heck even dual quads with a dual dual downgrade option.

    FF, if they don't do anything next week, I will be very surprised. It many not be SS, but I in most ways I don't think that really offers much, especially if it is going DDR3, which will be expensive for some time. Think Mac Pro FB-DIMMs when it came out last year.

    If they don't do it next week, I expect something at least by August. If you can hold out til then it may be worth it. I am waiting too, so lets hope. :D
     
  13. Amethyst macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #13
    I am the one who want a new Mac Pro, as fast as it can be , but if i spends for $2500 and get a quad workstation that equal with my friend DIY PC next month (core 2 quad DIY PC that over-all cost is under $1000) . I think it is un-reasonable

    I'm like your guy that keeping my buck and wait WWDC2007 with a hope.

    Plz Steve, announce a new Mac Pro at wwdc
     
  14. Amethyst macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #14
    so this is my hope

    Mac Pro 'Suggested configuration'

    Two 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Clovertown” processors
    2GB memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC) -> Same as MBP SR
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT graphics with 256MB memory -> Same as MBP SR
    320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive1
    16x double-layer SuperDrive
    $2,499.00
     
  15. cube macrumors G5

    Joined:
    May 10, 2004
    #15
    If the Mac Pro mini comes out, I'll buy it if it has an adequate level of expandability.
     
  16. stoid macrumors 601

    stoid

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2002
    Location:
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    #16
    I thought that the quad core chips are still going to cost like $750 a piece with the latest Intel price drop. I think that it may be difficult to put two of those plus RAM/motherboard/gfx card/hard drive/dvd-burner/enclosure and still stay under $1k.

    I'll bet it is cheaper to DIY, but to pretend that you are going to get it at 1/3rd the price of an Apple machine is either naive or deliberately spreading FUD.
     
  17. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #17
    The biggest difference there is in how the two items are manufactured. The 3Ghz chips are basically just 2.66Ghz chips that were able to reach 3Ghz and be stable. I imagine Intel stockpile processors that will run higher than the fastest ones they are selling over the production run so that they can offer new higher end chips when they amass enough. I don't believe they change the manufacturing process or anything. Where as with a new workstation platform there are many different areas they need to set standards for, check for compatibilty and so on before manufacturing the actual boards.

    To be honest it probably wouldn't make financial sense to have the stoakley platform before penryn based xeons are there anyway. A Mac Pro that takes in to accoutn the price drops and offers new GPUs would be more tan enough to keep sales going I would think, probably even increase.
     
  18. sdhollman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #18
    If they released those specs I would buy in a heartbeat. A 250gb hard drive is a joke.
     
  19. statikcat macrumors 6502

    statikcat

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #19
    Yes it is.. especially since you can buy a SATA II 500GB drive for 120$. You get half that in a 2500$ computer? Give me a break!!
     
  20. slughead macrumors 68040

    slughead

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    #20
    My guess: 8 Core across the board, 2GB RAM standard, 500GB HD standard.

    My hope: New Video cards, BluRay Burner option, SATA Optical Drive support in XP (hidden ports don't work at present)

    I'm sort of thinking that Apple may offer new video cards, but do the standard "not shipping till july.. er august... er october" bull that they typically do.

    I have a thread from a few years ago from when they screwed me on the Powermac G5.

    I'm not buying a new mac pro, regardless. I just want new video cards and bluray to get into the mac pros so it can shift the market and make more options available to me personally.

    People forget that Apple's crappy selection of video cards is what is really keeping games off macs. If Apple had a high-end option, you can bet game companies would notice. At present, there's no damn reason to make a game for OS X that can only run on Mac Pros.

    Realistically, I guess then the iMac should have something like an x1900 option. But I digress..

    my 2¢
     
  21. bogg macrumors 6502

    bogg

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Location:
    Sweden
    #21
    Modest guess:

    El-Cheapo configuration:

    Dual 2.66GHz Dual-Core Xeons
    1GB FB-DIMM
    250GB HDD
    7300GT

    Mid configuration:

    Dual 3.0GHz Dual-Core Xeons
    2GB FB-DIMM
    500GB HDD
    7300GT

    Top configuration:

    Dual 3.0GHz Quad-Core Xeons
    2GB FB-DIMM
    500GB HDD
    7300GT


    Crazy guess


    El-Cheapo:

    Dual 2.66GHz Dual-Core Xeons
    2GB FB-DIMM
    500GB HDD
    8600GT

    Mid:

    Dual 2.66GHz Quad-Core Xeons
    2GB FB-DIMM
    500GB HDD
    8600GT

    Top:


    Dual 3.0GHz Quad-Core Xeons
    2GB FB-DIMM
    500GB HDD
    8600GT
     
  22. pengu macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location:
    Diddily Daddily...
    #22
    not to be confused with Sea Bass, a bad tempered truck driver and fisherman with a penchant for murder and sexual molestation in roadside-diner restrooms.
     
  23. spaz8 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2007
    #23
    You guys realize that the 8600 is not as powerful as the X1900..:p for the low end, ya it smokes the 7300, but the mid and upper ranger should be a 2900XT, or 8800.. with the 4600, or 5500 quadro rounding out the top.

    I'm hoping for 2gb and 500 gb HD as base.
     
  24. Aniej macrumors 68000

    Aniej

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2006
    #24
    Kick his a**, Sea Bass.

    There is no mac pro update at wwdc, come on lets get real. Next thing there will be an update every 2 months
     
  25. bogg macrumors 6502

    bogg

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Location:
    Sweden
    #25
    Of course we are talking base configurations

    The 7300GT should be replaced by the 8600 and the X1900XT with something different (like 2900XT)
     

Share This Page