New Mac Pro is Quieter Than iMac Pro, Has Optional Wheels, and Was Kept in Top-Secret 'Stealth Enclosure'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

On the latest episode of the Mac Power Users podcast, hosts David Sparks and Stephen Hackett had the opportunity to speak with Apple product manager Doug Brooks about the all-new Mac Pro, unveiled at WWDC 2019 earlier this week.

[​IMG]

The new Mac Pro is an absolute powerhouse with up to 28-core Intel Xeon processors, up to 1.5TB of RAM, up to 4TB of SSD storage, and the option for the "world's most powerful graphics card" in the AMD Radeon Pro Vega II. Brooks said this performance will ensure the Mac Pro remains capable well into the future:
    To manage the heat that comes with this performance, Brooks said the new Mac Pro has a so-called "low-impedance airflow system" that moves a lot of air through the system and cools the machine "very effectively":
    Brooks said that sound from the new Mac Pro under a desk measures around 10 decibels, making it quieter than an iMac Pro or the current Mac Pro on a desk, which he said are both already "virtually silent" at around 12 decibels.

[​IMG]

Brooks also reflected on the new Mac Pro's optional wheels:
    Apple supposedly used G-sensors to ensure that the new Mac Pro would be able to withstand reasonable amounts of shock and vibrations while being wheeled around in production trucks and other professional environments.

[​IMG]
    Image: The Verge

Another notable tidbit was that, like many other Apple products, the new Mac Pro was kept in a "stealth enclosure" during testing in Apple's labs to ensure that its design remained a secret until it was announced. This was certainly effective, as the new Mac Pro's design was a complete surprise.

The entire interview can be listened to on the Mac Power Users podcast at Relay.FM.

Article Link: New Mac Pro is Quieter Than iMac Pro, Has Optional Wheels, and Was Kept in Top-Secret 'Stealth Enclosure'

2. Tapatio macrumors newbie

3. bladerunner2000, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Was the $3,000 markup also kept top secret? Base model is really only worth about that much.

Linus Tech Tips already did the breakdown of the parts (Price starts at 11:10)

So yeah... it's a $3,000 markup.

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

5. 8281 macrumors 6502

Looks nice, but it’s absurd that the base model starts with a 256 GB SSD.

6. theluggage macrumors 68040

No, that would be outrageous.

$1000 for a pack of 3... :)

7. squizzler, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

squizzler macrumors regular

squizzler

I like it.

Anyone leaving negative comment does not need or intend to buy it. People just being negative for the sake of it.

8. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

9. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

They kept the design secret by hiding it in the 2006 Mac Pro enclosure. They simply forgot to remove the disguise during the WWDC presentation.

10. Swazaloo macrumors regular

Please post a link to an online build of a computer with similar specs that is $3k cheaper. Everything I've done come out to about $3k MORE expensive than what Apple is offering.

11. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

I couldn’t justify the astronomical price whatsoever .... but ..
    After seeing those wheels .... take my money!

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Can it support the weight of a person riding it down the hallway like a horse?

13. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I wouldn’t put a wheel-equipped Mac Pro on top of a desk though...

14. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

15. theluggage macrumors 68040

...and the same GPU as the $2300 non-pro iMac (not even the top end option for the iMac).

16. tallscot macrumors regular

tallscot

You can easily do 8K editing right now. RED Dragon at 8K is about 250MBps, last I checked. That’s at 3:1, not 5:1 compression.

Thunderbolt 3 RAID drives read about 2,800 MBps, so the 250 per stream for 8K is not a big deal.

What I want is nVidia because CUDA doesn’t work with Radeon.

17. JessWinter macrumors member

JessWinter

Asking the real questions here

18. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

On "The Talk Show Live" Craig Federighi noted that the price would depend on how many you wanted and installment plans would be available. :p

19. nutmac macrumors 601

I totally applaud Apple for making no compromise, spared no expense Mac Pro.

The new Mac Pro is also totally not the right Mac for me, the software developer. I hope Apple will follow up new iMac Pro, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and 27" display, with configurations ideal for software developers.

20. Zen_Arcade macrumors member

21. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

There’s a fair few of us who wanted a Mac Pro that had Nvidia support and a base model that wasn’t so heavily marked up. Ever since the first Mac Pro, the entry level prices have been around the 3K mark. They’ve just priced out a huge market of designers, photographers, animators and videographers in favour of large companies and studios.

22. milo macrumors 604

8K ProRes RAW? That's uncompressed, right?

23. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

What is it you think macOS can't do that this machine needs?

Well, other than Nvidia drivers.

24. IIGS User macrumors member

I dunno, I don't like the feet.

You mean evil feet?

It would have been nice if it had wheels.

You mean evil wheels?

YOU ALWAYS DO THAT!!!!!!!