Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a surprise Mac Pro update today, Apple has now listed the repriced models on its online store. Essentially, this is just a pricing adjustment: the former $3,999 model is now the $2,999 base model, while the previously built-to-order 8-core model with dual D700 GPUs is now the high-end stock configuration.

mac_pro_top.jpg

The base model Mac Pro with a 3.5GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 processor, dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs, and 16GB of RAM is available to purchase now for $2,999 online and at select Apple Stores in the United States, Canada, Europe, and select other regions. Online orders ship in as little as one business day.

The higher-end model with a 3.0GHz 8-core Intel Xeon E5 processor, dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs, and 16GB of RAM is listed as "currently unavailable" online, with no purchase button yet. Just moments ago, the model was listed as available in "30 business days," but Apple has removed that timeframe.

Today's reshuffling raises the entry-level Mac Pro to a 6-core processor with 16GB of RAM for $2,999, compared to the former base model with a quad-core processor and 12GB of RAM. Likewise, Apple used to sell a high-end 6-core Mac Pro for $3,999, but has today bumped that model to 8-cores for the same price.

There are no other hardware changes to either model, but upgrade pricing for built-to-order configurations is now cheaper. Upgrading from 6-core to 8-core or 12-core, for example, used to be $1500 or $3000 respectively, but it is now $800 or $2000 respectively. AMD FirePro graphics upgrades are likewise cheaper.

The news came today in a collection of announcements that Apple unveiled to journalists near its headquarters in Cupertino, including a confirmation of new pro-level iMac models coming later in 2017 and a promise that the Mac Mini is still "important."

Apple also announced that it is working on a "completely rethought" version of the Mac Pro, as well as a pro display that works with the system, but Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller admitted that "you won't see any of those products this year."

Article Link: New Mac Pro Lineup Now Available on Apple Store, But 8-Core Model Currently Unavailable Online

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wow... so generous of them... both the 6 and 8 core models STILL START WITH 256GB STORAGE!!!!

On a three grand plus machine that doesn't even ship with a keyboard and mouse :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Apple.. dedicated to the 'Pro' user...

If you really think this is a good thing, that the base model now comes with an extra 4 gig of ram, and a higher end 4/ 5 year old graphics chip, is a nice gift.. well more fool you.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
It's almost like they realised that their iPad is a computer strategy isn't working. Had a "pause" in updates...

Reactions: Avieshek

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Apple also announced that it is working on a "completely rethought" version of the Mac Pro, as well as a pro display that works with the system, but Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller admitted that "you won't see any of those products this year."
I would say it might be better for people to wait to upgrade, but who knows when the redesigned Mac Pro will actually come out. It might be a few years.

I am really looking forward to the new Apple displays. I have own two of Apple's displays in the past and I really liked both of them. I wonder if it will have the rumored built in graphics processor that was talked about last year.

Either way, it is really nice to have Mac rumors back on MacRumors.com

Reactions: blasto2236

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I'm just curious - are people generally excited about apple announcing a macbook pro in the next year or so ? or are you just burned out on disappointment from this company that had once had you excited with their new and innovative products?
Personally, I'm burnt out. I switched to Windows this year, so I could use an HTC Vive in VR. I actually can't see why I would ever switch back. MacOS is good, but frankly the hardware has really fallen behind.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
So they admitted a MISTAKE???

Actually...I like this. Because it is Apple being honest for once and not just pushing hype or maintaining radio silence. I have the R2D2 Mac Pro base model from 3 years ago. I like it. Works great. But it is limited like they say. Maybe the cutesie designs for the Mac will finally be put to rest with a return to functionality and upgradeability. Time to return to the tower designs!!!! Boxy yes, but you get maximum space for customization.

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
I would say it might be better for people to wait to upgrade, but who knows when the redesigned Mac Pro will actually come out. It might be a few years.

I am really looking forward to the new Apple displays. I have own two of Apple's displays in the past and I really liked both of them. I wonder if it will have the rumored built in graphics processor that was talked about last year.

Either way, it is really nice to have Mac rumors back on MacRumors.com
But, does it have to be addressed as Pro displays!

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Folks have been demanding Apple cut their prices on the current Mac Pro and the moment Apple does that, and by a fair bit (for Apple), they still complain about the price.

Same with the new form factor. Bitch about wanting one, then bitch about having to wait for Apple to engineer it. And once it arrives, they'll surely bitch it isn't enough.

Doug Stanhope had it dead-on when he said some people find complaining their form of entertainment. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Folks have been demanding Apple cut their prices on the current Mac Pro and the moment Apple does that, and by a fair bit (for Apple), they still complain about the price.

Same with the new form factor. Bitch about wanting one, then bitch about having to wait for Apple to engineer it. And once it arrives, they'll surely bitch it isn't enough.

Doug Stanhope had it dead-on when he said some people find complaining their form of entertainment. :)

Because the price point is still atrocious.

Last edited by a moderator:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's interesting how Apple is sharing with what they're working on for the future releases... A new strategy for their investors?
Nope, this is explicitly just speaking to and for the pro markets. Given the extremely small user base that even buys the Pros, thinking this has anything to do with investors is a fools errand.

Reactions: YegorH

kimguroo

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
If Apple has a plan for new Mac Pro next year, they should update current Mac Pro more aggressively in order to sell current Mac Pro line.
6-core Mac Pro performs similar to IMac 27" I7 so Mac Pro should go 8-core for $2999 and 12-core for $3999.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.