Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveedjackson

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2009
London
Good to know my configuration is still over £7k on the Apple Store. Think I'll wait until there is a new model released before upgrading. Wonder if apple acknowledging that they screwed up the prosumer market - will mean a refund.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
With official details about the successor, now's the perfect time to buy!

They're stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they didn't announce something, then by the time the new machines are out, their potential customers will have switched to Windows. Better to have them wait for the new machines, knowing that something IS coming at some point. Even if it costs them sales in the short term. Honestly, they can't be expecting to sell too many of these at this point.

tkatz

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Folks have been demanding Apple cut their prices on the current Mac Pro and the moment Apple does that, and by a fair bit (for Apple), they still complain about the price.

When the 2013 Mac Pro first came out, it was a decent deal. It wasn't easy to configure a PC near the same config, and even when you did, the PC's were more expensive (and no TB ports).

I've been considering replacing my 12-core D700 2013 mac pro with something new. I'm not fully happy with the ATI graphics cards (I prefer nVidia). I have a cart I created a while ago on New Egg w/ 2x12 core 3.0ghz cpus (vs the 1x 12 core @ 2.7ghz), 2x nVidia GeForce 1080's with 8gb of vram each, and a 1tb m.2 card. Add to that 64gb of ram from crucial and the price comes out to around $7500. Versus the $7k Apple is charging right now for a 12core D700 config. Yes the price came down, from $9k, but its still too much.

At this point I'm pretty invested in TB2 devices, so I'm going to wait a little longer and see what Apple comes up with next. That and OSX (vs Windows 10) is whats keeping me on the Mac. Windows has gotten better, but I still have enough issues with it to hold off jumping all in for now.

Reactions: apolloa

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Good to know my configuration is still over £7k on the Apple Store. Think I'll wait until there is a new model released before upgrading. Wonder if apple acknowledging that they screwed up the prosumer market - will mean a refund.
Lol why in the ever living **** would they issue a refund?

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
But yet gets $10,000.00 of work out of it. Its not always about the price, but how much productivity you get out of it. Its not about the hackers, crackers and always broke professionals on MacRumors.

Oh well, let's up the price to $7k then!

Reactions: milo

Mr. Skeleton

Suspended
Sep 26, 2016
I'm just curious - are people generally excited about apple announcing a macbook pro in the next year or so ? or are you just burned out on disappointment from this company that had once had you excited with their new and innovative products?

I am.

If the tapered battery design ends up in next years version, then that will mean even better battery on an already amazing device.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
With how delinquent they've been with the Mac Pro, you'd think they'd make the entry level 8 cores, D500 GPU, w/32GB RAM, and 512GB SSD, and the upper model be 12 core, D700 GPU, w/64GB RAM, and 1TB SSD. Apple, cut your margins to make it happen. You owe it to your loyal Pro customer base for stiffing them for 3 years.

Reactions: apolloa and milo

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I'm just curious - are people generally excited about apple announcing a macbook pro in the next year or so ? or are you just burned out on disappointment from this company that had once had you excited with their new and innovative products?
I think you posted to the wrong thread. This is in regards to Mac Pros not about Macbook Pros. Macbook Pro is in mid cycle (https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro) so another 161 days or so until another update. I'm always excited to see what's new from Apple but having just bought a new MBP when it was released not too long ago can't same I'm clamoring for anything new at the moment.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Oh well, let's up the price to $7k then!

Meanwhile a trucker drives a $175,000 big rig. A heavy equipment operator controls a $200,000 excavator. A machinist runs several $50,000 CNC mills at once. Even a simple taxi driver has $30,000 of equipment to do their job.

It has been pointed out before that the inability for office workers to exploit such productivity enhancing tools is why middle class wage growth is stagnating.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.J. Sefton

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Personally, I'm burnt out. I switched to Windows this year, so I could use an HTC Vive in VR. I actually can't see why I would ever switch back. MacOS is good, but frankly the hardware has really fallen behind.

Interesting that you switched to Windows but are still reading and commenting on MacRumors?

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
The web site for "new(er)" mac pro shows a monitor - but to be correct: we can't buy that monitor, it's make believe, right?
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 20.00.49.png

Reactions: kyjaotkb

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I got a Powermac G4 for free off Freecycle last month. And a magnificent ADC 20" Cinema Display on the cheap. Now go and beat that, Phil!

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
Jony Ive (parody) said Apple would soon release ‘New’ Mac Pro computers which are identical to the ones in 2013, and the ‘statement’ comes true!

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Suppose you soon could get the previous entry-level model used for around $1000 instead of around $2000?
Would be like a more powerful alternative to the mini at that price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.