New Mac Pro with Wi-Fi? Why?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Just sayin..., Jan 10, 2008.

1. Just sayin... macrumors member

I've noticed that several purchasers of new mac pro's are going with Wi-Fi as a configuration option. Given the Mac Pro has built-in GB ethernet, why are you ordering Wi-Fi? Am I missing something here beyond the obvious wireless capability?

I routinely transfer multi GB groups of files around, and GB ethernet is a lifesaver for me.

M

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

not everyone does.

I'm planning to get it and have it in a room that is on the otherside of my house to the ethernet box/modem. WiFi is my only option without running 100m of cable through the house.

3. fangiotophia macrumors newbie

fangiotophia

Placement.

For me, it would be nice so that I don't have to have a cable running from my living room to my bedroom where my cable modem is. Location location location...;)

4. MikeL macrumors 6502

I've had Wifi on my desktops since my DA G4. It hasn't always been useful, but when I've needed it it has been a lifesaver. $45 is a small price to pay.

5. viltsu macrumors member

I like to sync things without wires between laptop and Mac Pro. Fewer wires is better for me!

6. amik macrumors regular

We're getting wifi to stream media to airport express boxes, squeezebox, and share wireless access with our laptops. The MP will be wired but the wireless connectivity is useful.

7. Code001 macrumors member

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I only have WIFI deployed in my apartment for the sake of mobility, nothing like sitting with my MacBook Pro on the couch. As this purchase was for my home and I did not feel like having cables running around the floor, I went for the AirPort Extreme option.

If it were in the office, sure, wires is the way to go :)

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

It's a $50 option BTO, and hard to install later. As a percentage of the $2800 base price, it's nothing -- less than 2% of the purchase price of the MINIMUM Mac Pro. For a computer you'll be using for 2-4 years, you'd be crazy NOT to pay that to maximize your options.

10. echoout macrumors 6502a

I use the WiFi to connect wirelessly with clients' laptops for small file dumps. I also occasionally take my setup onsite to work with clients and they can't always supply me with an Ethernet drop.

11. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Aren't the N cards rated for something like 800 Mbps anyways? that's pretty close to Gig-E and in my opinion worth the wireless ease. Even Wireless G, at 54 Mbps isn't that slow.

If you have a Mac Pro and basically any other Core 2 Duo mac in the house, you'll likely have N to N connection everywhere. I see it as a major plus.

12. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

To save having to run yet "another" cable upstairs to my study

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No, they have a max 220Mbps connection, and that's never reached in the real world. About the max you can expect is between 50 and 70Mbps, and that's in close proximity to the 802.11n router in question.

14. absolution macrumors member

I'll be going wired for now, but if I ever decide to move the machine I'll have the flexibility of going wireless. And $50 seemed like a small price to pay for the convenience.

15. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    As others have mentioned, even though the Mac Pro is a "workstation," it's still nice to have a little fun. When I upgrade next year (Nehalem all the way, baby) without wireless I wouldn't be able to stream music to the Airport Express connected to the stereo on our porch. That said, I usually go through the trouble of running cable to connect to my home router "just because."

16. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

2 things:

1. Fewer cables

2. when you're spending £3000 (5,877.97 USD) on a system, it makes little difference!:eek:

17. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

My MacPro is in my office on the second floor of the house, my router is in one of my daughter's bedrooms on the first floor - my wife's iMac is in the living room as is the wireless printer and my iphone gets a strong WiFi signal everywhere in the house.

Much as I'd like the speed and reliability of a wired connection until I physically network the whole house it's too much hassle.

18. SolrFlare macrumors regular

For me it's for flexibility purposes. It's only something like $40 or so more but it gives me the option to go wired or wireless as need be.

19. musicforme macrumors member

musicforme

Ditto.

I'd rather have it and not need it versus need it and not have it.

Also, I'm going to move my Mac to a different bedroom in the next month or so. I'm debating whether to run Cat 6 to this room or not. Having the wireless card in the Mac gives me more options.

20. AdvocateUK macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

Without wi-fi I wouldn't have an internet connection. I live in a three storey victorian house and we have an office downstairs at the back of the house and my MP on the first floor.

I would LOVE to run gig-E thorughout the house but
    a) it's not my house
    and
    b) it would be difficult

As it is because of the construction of the house (thick walls etc) we have to have one airport extreme (not 'n') in the kitchen connected to the cable modem, an airport express in the dining room to extend the signal, an airport extreme (not 'n') on the first landing to extend the signal and another express in my room, again to extend the signal.

Needless to say I am not impressed with the range of 802.11g. We have a 20Mbps cable modem connection and I daresay most of the time I never see half of that.

Ooh now look you've started me on a rant lol

21. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

22. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

It's not hard with patience, and good lighting.

Ignore the cables labeled BT and #1. Plug cable #2 on the top and cable #3 on the bottom.

Unless the wiring is different for the new MPs. It should be a 15-20 minute job.

Albeit, I agree... BTO is better if you plan ahead.

Cheers.

23. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

24. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

25. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Hmm. I think a few folks didn't read the OPs post.

I use WiFi on my MacPro to share my internet connection with a laptop that I frequently use in conjunction with it. The Powerbook and the MacPro both have Gigabit, but I couldn't get significantly better speeds with a wired connection. Still not sure why. Since my desktop is a wired machine it is nice to be able to use it to create a local wireless network. Pretty slick.