Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I have decided on a Mac Pro configuration:

Mac Pro 2010 6-Core Westmere processor 3.33 Ghz.
3 GB Ram (will upgrade with aftermarker memory)
2 TB hard drive
Dell U2711 (or possibly U2410) monitor, I hate the glossy ACD ... yeck.

I plan to upgrade the memory to 8 GB with aftermarket ram, and install additional hard drives.

My only question is: Does the graphics card have a standard DVI input or will I have to get the stupid mini-DVI to DVI converter cable?

What do you guys think?

Nov 28, 2010
located
According to Apple:
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Ideal for motion graphics, 3D modeling, rendering, or animation, the ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB of fast GDDR5 memory comes standard — and provides up to 5x more performance than previous Mac Pro standard graphics cards. It also includes two Mini DisplayPort outputs and a dual-link DVI port. With two ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics cards installed, a Mac Pro can support up to six displays. 

ATI Radeon HD 5870
For even more graphics performance, up to 70% greater than the standard card, choose the latest-generation ATI Radeon HD 5870 with 1GB of fast GDDR5 video memory. With massive memory bandwidth, the Radeon HD 5870 brings advanced performance to graphics-intensive applications such as motion graphics, 3D modeling, rendering, and animation. It also includes two Mini DisplayPort outputs and a dual-link DVI port, so you can power up to three displays with a single card.
from http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC560LL/A?mco=MTg2OTUwMjQ

Therefore there is no need for an additional adapter.
Btw, Mini DVI has been phased out of the Mac line and has never been included with the Mac Pro, but I guess you meant Mini DisplayPort.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to connect directly to the Dual-Link DVI on the card. If not, you'll need a MiniDisplay Port to DVI cable.

Word of warning, though: Some Dell Monitors are having driver issues with the 2010 Mac Pro's. My 30" gets distortions (snow) now and again. Some people are having sleep issues, also. Someday, maybe Apple will get around to patching this.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
ha ha...

I went to the apple store and decided to downgrade my decision. For what I do, the base quad system is sufficient. I can't justify the extra $1000.00 for the processor upgrade. Also, I think I'll go with the ACD ... it really looks sharp. I just ordered 8 gb of ram and a 2 TB hd from OWC.

For what I do this should be fine .... I'm not a pro, just basic home use, video editing, etc ....

any thoughts?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
You might want to get a SSD to use for your OS and apps, then use the 2TB hard drive to store your data.

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
Agree with ^ Buy an after market SSD for OS and Apps and use the 2 TB for photos and other data (music...)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Remember that you can upgrade the CPU later on if you want to. W3680 goes for less than 900$ in eBay sometimes. The total price of the upgrade would be 600-700$, depending how much you can dell your W3530 for.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
Can you hang on for Sandybridge?

If you can wait a bit longer and save some more money the next gen Mac Pro could be a big upgrade to your prospective purchase.
The only question is how long you will have to wait....

rmitchell248

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Liebsthal, Germany
If you can wait a bit longer and save some more money the next gen Mac Pro could be a big upgrade to your prospective purchase.
The only question is how long you will have to wait....

is this not always the case year after year? At some point you gotta stop saving, buy a computer and get some work done.....

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
There's always something newer and better around the corner. Buy when you need it.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
If is a big word.

If you absotively, posalutely need it right now then ofc you will buy the current model. Mac Pro refresh cycles are averaging at 258 days. The current model is well past the mid point of that at 196 days so IF the OP has the ability to hang fire with his cheque book for 2 months more, a new model could be available and very much more future proof, thus extending his personal refresh cycle by an extra year possibly two. Just my 2cents. :D

Apple deemed my 2008 Mac Pro obsolete the moment they unveiled the new 5xxx series AMD GFX cards and stated they were not supported, I will keep my 2008 octo till it dies then refresh, sod them.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
I suspect that the next BIG refresh in the Mac Pro won't be until after Intel release the Xeon Sandybridge processors in Q4 2011. This is why I decided to just buy now rather than wait for a possible speed bump in Q2 2011. Buy it now and enjoy it now.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
If you absotively, posalutely need it right now then ofc you will buy the current model. Mac Pro refresh cycles are averaging at 258 days. The current model is well past the mid point of that at 196 days so IF the OP has the ability to hang fire with his cheque book for 2 months more, a new model could be available and very much more future proof, thus extending his personal refresh cycle by an extra year possibly two. Just my 2cents. :D

The official release for suitable SB CPU's is in Q3/Q4 2011. I reckon we won't see a new Mac Pro this year. Given the last update cycle, a realistic release is Q1 2012, so buy now! It has never been safer to buy a Pro!

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
Fair enuff, if they are going to delay release of the server chips till Q4 then the refresh will be a long way off after all. :eek:

jonnymo5

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Texas
ha ha...

I went to the apple store and decided to downgrade my decision. For what I do, the base quad system is sufficient. I can't justify the extra $1000.00 for the processor upgrade. Also, I think I'll go with the ACD ... it really looks sharp. I just ordered 8 gb of ram and a 2 TB hd from OWC.

For what I do this should be fine .... I'm not a pro, just basic home use, video editing, etc ....

any thoughts?

I did the same thing and I have no regrets. Plenty of room to upgrade and that sweet 6-core is only going to get cheaper. No sense buying computing power you don't need since by the time you need it the price will be much lower.

MattDSLR

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2011
Canada
I did the same thing and I have no regrets. Plenty of room to upgrade and that sweet 6-core is only going to get cheaper. No sense buying computing power you don't need since by the time you need it the price will be much lower.

I did the same thing
I know i need faster that 2.4 but a year from now will be happy with adding 2 of the old 2.93 or what ever faster will be available for half price and I will be set for 3 more years after that when more multicore programs become available
For now i'm happy with dual 2.4 much faster than my i5 27" iMac
my lightroom, Aperture and Photoshop just runs amazing on 8 cores for now

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I need to buy now .... My g4 tower dies about 2 years ago and we have been using my MacBook pro as the sole computer... Not doing well ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.