New Mac Pros?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by boxguy, Oct 20, 2008.

1. boxguy macrumors newbie

With all this hype surrounding the notebooks, I'm in need of a stronger desktop. Does anyone remember when this line Mac Pros hit the market and if it's likely re-designed MacPros will hit the market any time soon?

Just wondering if I should wait or buy sooner. Thanks!

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

there where early 2008 Mac Pros. most likely updated in early to mid 2009 with Nehalem.

4. Slimdude22 macrumors member

What is the probability of a new one coming out before Christmas? any? I really need a new one but I just want to hold out for the next version. and what will it have? i doubt blu-ray but will it come with a better line of graphics at least? affordable ones that is.

5. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Well Apple has to update the Mac Pro and DVD Studio Pro to Blu-ray soon, or they are gonna lose allot of pro video users to windows.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I want to say zero, but Apple do occasionaly suprise us. Intel are supposed to start selling the new processors in November, though there were rumours the Xeons would get delayed until January. Last year they began selling in November and Dell shipped workstations just after Christmas and everyone else in January.

7. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Maybe Apple will just drop their pro line.

Seems like thats the direction they are taking.

8. Slimdude22 macrumors member

Drop it?? That would be terrible. They are the best ones. Granted they are expensive but I think you get the most bang for your buck with them. My current mac pro is 6 years old and still going (not very well mind you). And I think 6 years in the computer world is pretty decent.

And I do hope they surprise us this Christmas I dont know how much longer I can hold out and I dont want to buy one and have a newer one come out a few months later.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I would hope not, as Apple has spent a lot of time and effort in creating their pro line. If they kill it off, they would lose all the graphics pros that have invested in Apple's offerings. :eek:

10. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Guys, if there was an early 2008 Mac Pro then there will probably be a late 2008 Mac Pro. ;) Maybe who knows with Apple these days?

11. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

Soon as in the next 1-5 years.

12. Slimdude22 macrumors member

i hope your right :) they are overdue.
    And also I think with the somewhat slumming economy (dare i say recession??) Apple as well as intel and other computer industries need to make up some lost revenue. And I think they are trying with the new macbooks and ipods. But come on Apple! Give us a new pro!:D

13. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I'm not sure how you determine them overdue. The only new processor that has come out since their release was a 3.4GHz $1800 one a month or so ago and Intel are on schedule so far to release Nehalem. A year after the last release has always been the time frame.

Apple and Intel recorded their highest Q3 revenues ever and Apple will probably do them same again Tuesday with their Q4 revenue. (same period as Intel's Q3) :rolleyes:

14. Slimdude22 macrumors member

yes but what about next quarter? and retail sales and manufacturing sales are already down a good bit so far this year. Apple has stayed on top yes because of their new products and innovation. and intel is connected with apple a good bit. Innovation is so far keeping both afloat. when your selling "expensive" computers and the country (the world?) is going through a credit crunch, small businesses and consumers might not be able to get the credit they need to afford a new computer. But New innovation and great advertising (like the new ones Apple is running...so true about vista...) Creates Want and will stimulate consumers (the ones who can afford it) to buy a mac as seen throughout the past couple of years.

but like you said tuesday we shall see. And i expect it will still be positive but it wont meet expectations partly due to economic woes. (but this is my own economists predictions and I hope I'm wrong :D)

when i say overdue i mean overdue for a new mac pro based on their average from this site.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

days since update 286 avg 217. :)

15. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

It seems a common theme to complain about apple becoming more consumer than prosumer oriented, but keep in mind that 99% of their advertising and press-related material will need to target consumers. Pros that already use Macs don't need to be told to switch to mac and probably don't need any convincing either.

Apple is still making money, plenty in fact. Their stock price may be down, but it is really just a more accurate representation of the company's value (it's usually inflated). They don't need to drop products (such as the pro) or sell off assets (pro software like Aperture, Final cut), so don't worry about your favourite products dying off.

As long as xserve is around, the hardware required for the Mac Pro will continue to be developed so Apple will have no reason to discontinue it.

I'm one of the people waiting to click buy when the new mac pros are released. Apple will be aware that plenty of people are waiting and they will soon release some kind of update. But they won't release it until:

-Xeon Nehalem's are available
    -A suitable Displayport PCI-E cards is available (which means waiting on ATI/nVIDIA)
    -New cinema displays are ready (I bet they will be released in parallel)

With regards to blu-ray, I would expect the mac-pro to be upgrade-ready (toolless removal of ODD).

Then again, I could be wrong.

16. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Yeah the average isn't really much use in regards to the Mac Pro as it uses the Power Mac dates too which are irrelevant and it's all based around Intel's schedule anyway, which shouldn't be affected by the current economic climate when it comes to dual processor workstations.

17. fireloss macrumors member

How did you get a Mac Pro six years ago??

18. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Clearly his flux capacitor is still fluxing.

19. acquinn macrumors newbie

acquinn

20. Slimdude22 macrumors member

haha sorry was a typo. was 5 years i got the PPC G5. But i did manage to go 88 miles an hour into the future! :)

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

None, you are correct.
    It won't have Blu-ray.
    The best guess is 3750 as base, 9900 GT mid, and Quadro 5600 (or 6600 if it exists) at the top. If we're going all nVidia now, it'd be a 9600 instead of the 3750.

Nope. They don't. And they won't.

It would make me livid, but I wouldn't be surprised. Also, don't expect to see FireWire 400 on the Mac Pro anymore.

The name is really meaningless. It's based on Intel's release schedule.

Notice that the company about which you speak does not have the word "Computer" in its name. They have cared less and less about professionals in the last decade.

We had to wait 518 days to get the Penryn ones after the first ones. We'll be waiting a while longer.

You're wrong about Blu-ray, but having a toolless ODD, while epic, seems impossible to me. Care to explain how that'd be done?

22. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

You're joking... How in the world any company will drop its flagship?

If I'm not mistaken, it's one of the most profitable Apple's comps out there.

Moving pros to what? -- iMac? Mini?

sash

23. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

i don't think the mac pro is Apple's flagship anymore. More like the iMacs and macbooks are. Those are the best selling products in their line up anyways.

You could even say the iPod and iPhone are the new flagships.

24. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

I see your point, but dropping the only machine fully suitable for professionals (in terms of power and upgradability) sounds quite suicidal to me.

Apple is a high-end product maker, why leaving the computing highest heaven when Mac Pro is doing so well?

The strategy so far was to cover all the segments of the -- higher-end -- computer market, and the results are pretty good.

OK, they are also pretty successful in the gadgets, but so what? Diversification rules.

25. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

"With all this hype surrounding the notebooks, I'm in need of a stronger desktop." OP

For what? Seriously, what do you need a stronger desktop for? There is nothing on the market from the "consumer" side of PCs that will come close to the performance you can squeeze from a MP.

I am using FCP, After Effects, Motion, playing games, Adobe Audition on the Windows side with Boot Camp....my MP runs circles around my quad core Intel in the same room, doesn't matter the application.

We need Snow Leopard, Adobe, and other manufacturers to take advantage of multi core procs, there is SO much headroom that is NOT used in a current Mac Pro. Ridiculous to need more power at this time.

J