Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrunknMONKY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Hi Im thinking of buying a new Mac Studio, will new macs be like iPads / iPhones, with 4/5 year end of life, I currently use a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) it all works fine, but just slow, I don't want to spend £3k+ or £5k for something that might only last 4 or 5 years.

Thanks Gary

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Your iMac has lasted 7 years. I'd expect the Studio to last at least that long.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Every Mac/iPhone/iPad has an end of life.
This doesn't mean it's life has ended, just not supporting the latest OS.

Reactions: 3Rock

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I currently use a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) it all works fine, but just slow, I don't want to spend £3k+ or £5k for something that might only last 4 or 5 years.

Your iMac has lasted 7 years. I'd expect the Studio to last at least that long.

I also have a late 2015 5k iMac. My only regret is that I cannot repurpose the screen -- which is awesome. I think if the Studio had been available back then I would have prefferred having a separate high quality monitor which I could continue using today.

Right now, I am waiting on a MBA M2 to arrive. I'll go from there on whether I need/want a monitor & docking station. Maybe if I do I will upgrade to an MBP M2 if they have 14" options later this year and hand this down to a niece or something.

Anyway, even when I was building my own PC's, 5 - 7 years was about the realistic life span. I dare say windows has gotten a lot better in terms of resource usage but the applications are more and more demanding on both PC and Mac.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi Im thinking of buying a new Mac Studio, will new macs be like iPads / iPhones, with 4/5 year end of life, I currently use a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) it all works fine, but just slow, I don't want to spend £3k+ or £5k for something that might only last 4 or 5 years.

Thanks Gary
A Mac Studio will easily reach 5+ years.

Reactions: MarkC426

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
This doesn't mean it's life has ended, just not supporting the latest OS.

From the MacRumors front page listing 2015 and 2016 models which are now vintage:

"A device becomes vintage once five years have passed since Apple last distributed the device for sale. Vintage products are typically ineligible for repairs at Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers, unless spare parts remain available."

The variable here is when the current Mac Studio will be discontinued, then add 5 years. 7 years is a good guesstimate.

Reactions: MarkC426

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Once you accept that it's completely out of your control (how long a computer lasts), it's a lot easier to make a purchasing decision.

FWIW, with one notable exception (the last G5 tower which was a lemon right out of the box), every Mac I've owned has outlasted its usefulness for me. I've passed them down to family members and they went strong for several years with them as well. I would guess 7-10 years on most of them.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

Cancelled
Nov 10, 2020
I also have a late 2015 5k iMac. My only regret is that I cannot repurpose the screen -- which is awesome.

It'll cost you a couple of hundred dollars and a few hours of your time, but you can repurpose the screen into a monitor for your new setup – just make sure you get the right driver board for the panel.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.