New mac user here..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macquekers, Sep 22, 2009.

1. macquekers macrumors newbie

Just recently made the switch.. from Windoze to Mac... 4 days already, no regrets so far i hope... only regret was getting a 13" and not getting a 15" MBP :( but i was happy to get a free 4GB ram upgrade. Was also lucky my 13" mbp came pre-installed with OS X 10.6 SL...

Just yesterday i replaced the 160gb hdd for a WD 500gb 5.4k rpm one... so far no major problems after re-installing OS X... everything work the way it should! installation was a breeze and even partitioning my hdd to 150gb and 350gb was really really simple...

I would like to ask, if time machine can work on a hdd partition instead of an external hdd?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

First off, welcome to the Mac. :)

Secondly, are you kidding? The 13" MacBook Pro is an incredible choice. The portability + the power is amazing. You can have my 3 1/2 year old 15" if you like. :D

Finally, to answer your question: yes and no. Yes, you could partition the hard drive and run Time Machine off the partition. But this really isn't worth it. The reason why is because Time Machine's purpose is to backup your files in the case of a hard drive failure. If the hard drive goes out, both partitions will go with it -- meaning Time Machine would have been worthless. That's why it's always a good idea to have a second drive, just in case.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It won't work on the same drive you are backing up from - and, you wouldn't want it to. Think about it. You would not want your only backup to be on the same drive that was failing.

It will work on a partition of any other drive, internal or external (obviously, external being the only choice with a MacBook).

Congrats on making the switch! Enjoy your new MacBook, too!

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. macquekers thread starter macrumors newbie

cool!! this forum is so much alive compared to mac users group singapore...

i'm from singapore, where you guys from?

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You can say that again.

haha, Welcome to MacRumors, the best Mac site on the web. Probably the majority of the users here are from America (and it's getting pretty late into the night here, so it's already slow and quiet on the forums right now), although you'll find there are people from all over the world on our site. You can watch the forums in real-time, to see how active it gets by using the Forum Spy. If you're here when it's busy, you'll find several hundred users logged in and communicating at the same time.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Wow - looks like it. All the same time tag. :)

To the OP - yes, I believe this is the most active forum (at least, from what I've found). Also, not many have the "spy" feature to monitor thread activity.

For myself, I have a lot of time where I can leave Forum Spy open and see what's up, and if there's something I can help with (or, get myself in trouble with ;) ).

8. macquekers thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, just learn about mac rumours today...

tonight once i get home, i am going to download all the software from the beginners guide... ;)

oh.. can't wait for google chrome for mac to be release... is the pre-released one worth trying out?

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

My goodness, you must have a lot of time on your hands. I just go through this one board and read all of the unread threads with no replies, and those to which I've posted in the past.

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Eh - yea. Retired & on the Mac a lot anyway. I really enjoy the "puzzle" of troubleshooting (that's been a big part of my engineering career anyway) and I get a lot of satisfaction out of helping folks here. A nice "thanks" always makes me smile.

11. ruselrones macrumors newbie

Hello..
    First of all I want to say HELLO to everyone who is new in this forum. I am also new mac user here and glad to be here so How are you friends? I want to introduce myself that I am computer science student from UK. Thank you friends.