NEW MAC USER - New White Macbook or 2.0 Aluminum Macbook??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Colin0317, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Colin0317 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

Is this new White Macbook almost as fast as the new 2.0 aluminum Macbook? This will be my first Mac purchase. I cannot decide between the two. I will be using this notebook to listen to music (BTW are the speakers on this as good as the aluminum ones???), surf the Web, run Vista or Windows 7 using Bootcamp for software that don't exist on Mac, photo editing, watching HD movies from iTunes and I'd like to be able to play Diablo III and Star Craft II. I take great care of my stuff and don't like when my "toys" gets scratched or have cosmetic flaws on them, so I'd also like to know if the White one will get swirl scratches on it if I take good care of it. Do they have these swirl marks when they are new (saw this on the display at the store). I'm super excited to get my Macbook, can't wait! :apple::D

2. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

The speakers on the plastic MacBook are not as good as on the aluminum ones. However, the $300 dollars you save by purchasing the plastic one could be spent on a Klipsch iFi speaker system, which is probably the best speaker system under $1000 ever created by mankind! And it only costs $300. Click here to see it: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/ifi.aspx

BTW, in order to use the Klipsch iFi with your MacBook, you will need to buy a 3.5mm male-to-male stereo cable, which can be bought for less than $1 at MonoPrice.com. I'd suggest either the 6ft one for $0.54 ( http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=644&seq=1&format=2 ) or the 12 ft one for $0.94 ( http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=645&seq=1&format=2 ).

3. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

in my opinion, the aluminum are going to be much more sturdy.

Reason 1 - unibody structure.
    Reason 2 - glass across lcd makes it more rigid

will have more nicks and scuffs than aluminum.

in terms of sound, ifixit.com does a disassembly of the macbooks and shows that the aluminum macbooks now have a subwoofer built-in (albeit small)

the white ones have L and R speakers only

4. animaxcg macrumors regular

white cheaper same internals and firewire (it should be in the unibody but its not what the heck)

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Unibody MB: DDR3 RAM, larger stock HDD, LED-backlit display, better speakers, Multi-Touch glass trackpad w/ no buttons, glass across display, aluminum unibody, Mini Display Port, no FireWire, 4.5 lbs and slightly thinner, 45-watt-hour battery, 5 hrs wireless productivity.

White MB: DDR2 RAM, smaller stock HDD, TFT display, poorer speakers, standard trackpad (no Multi-Touch), no glass on display, polycarbonate enclosure, Mini-DVI port, FireWire, 5 lbs and slightly thicker, 55-watt-hour battery, 4.5 hrs wireless productivity.

I think I got it all...

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

This is a great comparison! Thank you!

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I was just going to post the difference, but this pretty much summarized it best :)

8. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Unless you really need the firewire or are really tight for money I'd go with the aluminum. You might also look into the refurbished aluminum ones which have the same warranty at a cheaper cost.

9. Colin0317 thread starter macrumors member

Money is not an issue... I just want to buy the one that will last me longer and perform better. I think I like the design of the white one better though... But that could change once I own an aluminum. What made me look at the white is that I keep hearing these issues with the aluminum one which I don't want (keys are crooked, screen is really bad, battery cover is loose...).

10. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Screens between the two are virtually identical except for the new LED backlight on the aluminum model versus the older CCFL backlight on the plastic books.

If money isn't an issue go with the aluminum. The problems with slanted keys, battery covers and such have pretty much been weeded out by now. Looks like the first batch had some problems but I haven't heard of any complaints for at least a month so the new batches look pretty good.

11. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Trust me, you don't like the design of the white one better. If you have problems with the aluminum one, you just get it replaced at the apple store. The white one is not as durable but will preform as well as the aluminum. The aluminum runs cooler.

The unibody is better made compared to the white one with a lot of parts. The white ones have more problems than the aluminum ones imo.

Thats my take on it.

12. Colin0317 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll go with the new aluminum one then. I think that because of the way it's designed, it should have less issues.

13. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

It won't have any less issues because of the way it's designed. In fact, it'll probably have more! Aluminum is a very weak metal and dents VERY easily. The WhiteBook is a solid machine with almost the same specs - PLUS FIREWIRE - for $300 cheaper.

14. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Are you kidding me? Have you not read the numerous threads about the palm rest cracking on the white macbooks? The discoloration issues still exist as well.

In regards to the OP, please get the aluminum MB. You will not regret it. The screen is way brighter than the white MB and the look and feel of the aluminum will make you glad that you purchased it.

15. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

The discoloration issues are nowhere near what they were originally. The discoloration issues they have now are because people's hands are dirty.

16. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

discoroloration and cracks are under warranty

17. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

And your point is what?

Just because those issues are under warranty doesn't mean I want to spend my time down at the Apple store getting it replaced. :rolleyes:

OP: Did you end up going with the Aluminum MB?

18. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Price = Quality, I'd go with the UniBody, although I do love my custom unibody white and black macbook 2.16GHz :D

19. Nickisgodofmacs macrumors member

Nickisgodofmacs

I don't know about you but i wash my hands every time before i use my macbook and i STILL have discoloration. Not worth taking it to the Apple Store at least in my opinion.

20. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

What?! Have you even seen the new models?! They're like freaking bricks! The "denting" you're talking about is something seen on the OLDER MacBook Pro, but these new unibody machines are incredibly strong.

21. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

hit it with the end of a fork, I dare you :D

22. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I am so digging the current white MacBook right now. The value is great now that it has the 9400m. I personally would choose it over the alum MacBook anyday.

I am going to buy a white model when I transfer to a university next semester(can't be seen walking around campus carrying an iMac everywhere I go lol). Hopefully by then it will get a minor speed bump. ;)

[EDIT] Now that I think about it, that speed bump probably wont happen until after the back to school special. Ah well...

23. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

If I'd be you, I would go with the unibody. The couple of $$ you add onto the plastic one will eventually pay off, because the plastic quality is very bad and cracks very easily.

24. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

25. rust.puppet macrumors regular

does anyone want to break the news that he probably wont be able to play diablo 3 or starcraft 2?

if im wrong then correct me but i just didnt think it was that able.