NEW Mac User! Question About Purchasing A MacBook. Help and Opinions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lilskaterpunk, Nov 18, 2009.

1. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

Im looking into purchasing my first Mac, a Macbook or Macbook Pro.
    Im an PC guy and have been using an ASUS Laptop for years. Currently own N81Vp-D1.
    One thing I notice about Apple and there Macs are a difference in specs for a big price jump but very sexy!

So I have a few questions that if anyone can help me out, that would be awesome!

I want to buy Macbook or Macbook Pro.

1. Looking into a 13.3'' screen or would it be better for a 15''? Yes I now its personal preference and what u plan to do with it but as for specs wise. Invest a bit more for more power?

2. Are the new Macbook and Macbook Pro models worth buying? or look into an older used model?

3. Im looking at buying Apple MacBook Pro 13" Intel Core 2 Duo Laptop.
    With this model, is it possible to Dual Boot Windows 7? As long as I get proper drivers? or is it even worth doing? I heard Windows 7 works fine...

4. Nvidia GeForce 9400M I noticed is in all 13.3'' Macbook and Pro until you jump into the 15''. Are these video cards any good?
    I know its going to be a big change from my current video card ATI Mobility HD4650 VRAM 1GB but really, I dont even play games on my laptop lol I bought it for a smaller 14'' laptop and well it just has some power behind it if I wanted too.
    Im more into browsing internet, chatting, pictures, videos, and some other stuff...

So whats ur opinions on the MacBook Pro model? Version with 4GB and larger HDD. Worth the extra cash? I see it still has SD card and LED keyboard which the Macbook models do not have! sad.gif

If there is anything that I should be aware of on the Macbook or Macbook Pro which is an advantage or disadvantage from other models, please let me know!

Well I hope I know what im getting into... lol

Thanks!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

1) The 13'' offered by Apple is a 1280X800 resolution.

That was the same with my 15'' dell PC, so the smaller screen doesn't matter. It's more convenient actually.

2) Definitely worth buying, You get a great machine.

3) You can dual boot with any of the Macs. The drivers are supported by Apple.

4) the 9400m is a great chip. You should be fine if you do dont play games.

If I were you, I would personally go with the white Macbook.

My friend was debating Macbook or Macbook Pro, and he went with the Macbook and he loves it.
    You miss a few features in the Macbook like the firewire, and apple remote; but for some people it's not worth the extra $200 bucks.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

See Bold

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

An additional point for the Windows drivers: Apple hasn't provided official drivers for Windows 7 yet, but many have had good luck just using the Vista drivers. Apple has committed to providing Windows 7 drivers by the end of the year.

5. lilskaterpunk thread starter macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

@wordoflife
    U said go with the MacBook instead of MBP. I was thinking of doing that but I like that 4GB ram, larger HDD (Portable USB HDD will work too) keypad light and SD reader. I dunno how much of that is an improvement for performance for that different amount of money. I also like the Aluminum body instead of all white :p Processor is an upgrade too.
    Other then those specs I mentioned above, is there anything else that makes a different from the MBP to MB? Wifi? BT? etc.?

Thanks!

@stridemat
    Well now my decision is changed from my comment to wordoflife LOL
    Get the better specs/hardware now if I can afford it, which hopefully I can. Yes resell value stay high on Macs and being me, I like to upgrade or try new products always :p
    Sounds good about Boot Camp. Ill check more into that option. How about Parallels (I think thats it) for booting Windows on Mac OSX?
    I was looking into the 15'' but then I like portability and money is another increase. Hmmmm.... I guess I should try out a 13.3'' as I never owned my own and see how I like it. Currently using a 14'' ASUS laptop as I downsized from 15''

@jzuena
    Sounds good dude! Hopefully soon ;)

How is the speakers sound on MBP? I never listen to them before. Any other advice or be aware of before purchasing a model that I should know?

Im also deciding now to hold off till January which is around the corner to see if Apple has upgraded the MB, MBP models. I know if u wait for something new, you will never end up buying something as its never gonna end lol Its just a lot of money to spend on something I never tried before.

Thanks guys!