Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week updated the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Air with several new features and changes. The laptops can be ordered now, with in-store availability and deliveries to customers set to begin on Friday, March 8.

Apple-MacBook-Air-2-up-hero-240304-feature.jpg

Below, we outline key new features added to the MacBook Air, including the M3 chip, Wi-Fi 6E, expanded external display support, and more.

M3 Chip

Both the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Air are now available with Apple's latest M3 chip for faster performance and improved power efficiency.

As expected, an early benchmark result has revealed that the M3 chip is up to 20% faster than the M2 chip in the previous MacBook Air models in terms of CPU performance. These results are consistent with the 14-inch MacBook Pro with the M3 chip.

With the M3 chip, the MacBook Air has also gained hardware-accelerated ray tracing for improved graphics rendering in games, along with AV1 video decoding.

Two External Displays

While previous MacBook Air models with Apple silicon officially support only one external display, the new models support two external displays. However, a second display can only be used when the MacBook Air's lid is closed.

When the lid is open, the new models support one external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz. When the lid is closed, a second display with up to 5K resolution at 60Hz can be connected, according to Apple's tech specs.

Even more displays can be connected to the MacBook Air with the use of DisplayLink adapters.

Wi-Fi 6E

The new MacBook Airs support Wi-Fi 6E for "up to twice as fast" wireless download speeds compared to the previous models with Wi-Fi 6, according to Apple.

Wi-Fi 6E extends the capabilities of Wi-Fi 6 to the 6 GHz band, enabling faster wireless speeds and reduced signal interference with a compatible device and router. The entire current-generation Mac lineup now supports Wi-Fi 6E.

Microphone Upgrades

Apple says the microphones in the new MacBook Air models offer "enhanced voice clarity in audio and video calls" compared to the previous models. The microphones also gained support for "Voice Isolation" and "Wide Spectrum" modes.

Fingerprint Seal for Midnight Color

Just like the Space Black MacBook Pro, the Midnight MacBook Air now features an "anodization seal to reduce fingerprints," according to Apple.

Article Link: New MacBook Air Launching on Friday With These 5 New Features

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: japanime

spamabyss

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2021
Microphone Upgrades

Apple says the microphones in the new MacBook Air models offer "enhanced voice clarity in audio and video calls" compared to the previous models. The microphones also gained support for "Voice Isolation" and "Wide Spectrum" modes.

It says so on the comparison side of Apple but it doesn't really make sense as my M1 MacBook Air already supports "Voice Isolation" and "Wide Spectrum" modes so I wonder whether they just missed to include it on the M2 side of the table or whether there's actually been any changes to the microphones...

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I'll be curious to see how the midnight actually deflects fingerprints now. I had the original 15" Midnight and it was absolutely brutal when it comes to fingerprints.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Is the M3 MBA tempting you M1 owners to upgrade? Asking for a friend.
Ha, absolutely. I have a M1 MBA with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD... and prepare yourself, I also have a 2017 13" MBP with an.... oh god... INTEL processor. Doing the simplest of things is painfully slow. I'm cheap though, so I will wait until the first refurbs hit the store. I've been doing refurbs for over 20 years and I've not once had an issue.

J InTech82

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Is the M3 MBA tempting you M1 owners to upgrade? Asking for a friend.
Yeah for my M1 Air at least. I did wrong by ordering the M1 Air with only 8 GBs and I suffer from it daily. My M1 Pro Max with 64 GBs just sails through everything, but then again I only use it for video editing.

TheKDub

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
And one downgrade - no ‘wide stereo sound’ like the M2 versions (and M3 Pro) have.
Yeah, I've been hearing about this one. Not sure what it is about - is "wide stereo sound" software or hardware based? Would been weird that they are downgrading their speakers. I'm coming from an Intel MBP so this won't really affect my purchase decision, but even my 4-year old 13" MBP has "wide stereo sound" lol.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
Again the anodisation seal is only applied on top instead of the full enclosure. Saving on those pennies. Quality they say. So with M4 the bottom will be sealed as well? M5 the inside?
Wow, is this true? The keyboard deck would need this coating the most. You'd think they'd just bake this layer in for all Midnight and Space Black aluminum exterior parts.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2017
Wi-Fi 6E

The new MacBook Airs support Wi-Fi 6E for "up to twice as fast" wireless download speeds compared to the previous models with Wi-Fi 6, according to Apple.

Wi-Fi 6E extends the capabilities of Wi-Fi 6 to the 6 GHz band, enabling faster wireless speeds and reduced signal interference with a compatible device and router. The entire current-generation Mac lineup now supports Wi-Fi 6E.

I am just curious who already has 6E, I understand it's helpful in the future, but at my place I am still stuck with Wifi 4 & 5.

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
Again the anodisation seal is only applied on top instead of the full enclosure. Saving on those pennies. Quality they say. So with M4 the bottom will be sealed as well? M5 the inside?
source?

my M3 Max is no filthier than any of the silver models I've been hauling around for the past twenty years. In fact, cleaner, since I bought a tempered glass protector for the screen (glare might suck but it beats keyboard smudge THANK YOU VERY MUCH)

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Has anybody gone from a 14” M1 MBP to a 15” MBA? I’m tempted because the 14” is simultaneously a little too small in terms of screen size, and a little thicc in terms of weight and bulk. The sleek Air line sure looks tempting, especially when there’s a slightly bigger screen. I probably won’t pull the trigger because my M1 works great, but part of me is curious…

Reactions: robfoll

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Has anybody gone from a 14” M1 MBP to a 15” MBA? I’m tempted because the 14” is simultaneously a little too small in terms of screen size, and a little thicc in terms of weight and bulk. The sleek Air line sure looks tempting, especially when there’s a slightly bigger screen. I probably won’t pull the trigger because my M1 works great, but part of me is curious…

Screen is quite a downgrade in my view
(Not size .. 15” size is nice)

Reactions: unobtainium

anthony8400

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
Frankfurt, Germany
I did!
It’s true that the screen is less nice than the MBP - if you put them next to each other.
If you’re only using the 15’s screen without comparing it; then I can tell you that it’s really good as well. I have no issues with it whatsoever.
My main reason to switch was indeed the screen size, the battery and to have something that is light. 16 was also on my list, but gosh, is it bulky.
And to be fair, I don’t need all that power.
I bought the 16GB with 512GB and I’m happy with it.
Go for it, don’t let anybody else tell you otherwise.

Reactions: unobtainium
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.