Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spamabyss

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2021
Has anybody gone from a 14” M1 MBP to a 15” MBA? I’m tempted because the 14” is simultaneously a little too small in terms of screen size, and a little thicc in terms of weight and bulk. The sleek Air line sure looks tempting, especially when there’s a slightly bigger screen. I probably won’t pull the trigger because my M1 works great, but part of me is curious…
I have both used the 16 Pro and the 15 Air and the M1 Air is still my daily driver. When I wasn’t comparing HDR content the difference wasn’t that big for me. Sure the blacks are blacker. But the screen of the Air is already really good so for me it didn’t make much of a difference. Not even side by side but I‘m sure others will tell you differently. What did make a notable difference are the better speakers on the Pro models, which does make a difference for me as I‘m spending a lot of time in Zoom meetings and better speakers mean less fatigue for me. But there the 15 Air is also already good enough for me. The 13 not so much but still better than many Windows Laptops. Overall the 15 Air is the sweetspot for me in terms of size, weight and specs and I‘m going to upgrade to the 15 M3 Air sooner or later.

Reactions: unobtainium

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Wow, is this true? The keyboard deck would need this coating the most. You'd think they'd just bake this layer in for all Midnight and Space Black aluminum exterior parts.
Yes it was confirmed with the M3.

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
Torn on this gf needs a new laptop, Air is perfect for her. Can get a decent deal on the M2 model (15% off Apples price for 16/512) not sure if the M3 is worth it or not.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
Kind of a bummer they didn't go right to wi-fi 7 now that it is ratified but I guess it makes sense to keep it in line with the other M3 line.

I'll prob update around M6/M7 time. Will be interesting to see what they have by then.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex Cai and GDF

AriaAmaris

macrumors member
May 20, 2023
Sadly the display is just too dim. Whatever you do, do not put in next to the MBP display. I wish they would make a more expensive model with a much better display. I don’t need MBP insides and prefer the air design.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
Such a pathetic update still no mini led display, no 120hz refresh rate, still 8gb base ram.

Just because this is not a pro machine, does not mean Apple carries over the same specs every year.

Its a shame such a great machine has been neglected by Apple. I will be hanging onto my Macbook Pro M1 Max for as long as i can, and will update to another pro max.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I’ll ask again, in this newer thread…
So it sounds like some aspect of dual external display support will be addressable via SU. Odds of my M2 MBA supporting dual external displays via a future SU?
It’s the lone issue I have with my M2 MBA. Otherwise, been the most enjoyable Apple laptop I’ve used to date.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Such a pathetic update still no mini led display, no 120hz refresh rate, still 8gb base ram.

Just because this is not a pro machine, does not mean Apple carries over the same specs every year.

Its a shame such a great machine has been neglected by Apple. I will be hanging onto my Macbook Pro M1 Max for as long as i can, and will update to another pro max.

It's super frustrating they won't bring a much better screen to the Air line as an option

A "normal users" can not want/need anything about an MBP, but they could absolutely still very much enjoy and notice a way better screen.

Reactions: AriaAmaris

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia

It’s quite literally the bottom of the range Apple laptop, so it’s not aimed at being a replacement for your MBP Max :lol:

For those looking for an entry level Apple it’s a great machine.

businessnumbersmoneypeopl

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2020
I’ll ask again, in this newer thread…
So it sounds like some aspect of dual external display support will be addressable via SU. Odds of my M2 MBA supporting dual external displays via a future SU?
It’s the lone issue I have with my M2 MBA. Otherwise, been the most enjoyable Apple laptop I’ve used to date.

Given that they make it one of the very few marketing points for their new model, I would be very surprised if they extended it to older models as well. (Of course it should be totally doable, after all even an M1 supports a sidecar iPad monitor.)

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Torn on this gf needs a new laptop, Air is perfect for her. Can get a decent deal on the M2 model (15% off Apples price for 16/512) not sure if the M3 is worth it or not.
I was waiting on the 13” M3 to update a my wife’s 2017 Air.

After looking at the specs today I went with a refurbished 13” M2 instead. For 16GB/1TB it was almost $400 cheaper.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Compared to M2, it is just an incremental update. But good to see support for two displays. Would have liked to see a new colour also.

EzisAA

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
Riga, Latvia
I am just curious who already has 6E, I understand it's helpful in the future, but at my place I am still stuck with Wifi 4 & 5.
Device with Wi-Fi 6E have better speed on old Wi-Fi network. Basical you feel more improved with Wi-Fi 6E device on old network, comparing with device without Wi-Fi 6E in Wi-Fi 6E network.

Where my old Macbook Pro M1 have poor signal, the new MacBook Pro M2 Pro have a stable signal in Wi-Fi 4 and Wi-Fi 5 networks.

Reactions: AirpodsNow

spamabyss

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2021
Sadly the display is just too dim. Whatever you do, do not put in next to the MBP display. I wish they would make a more expensive model with a much better display. I don’t need MBP insides and prefer the air design.
I put it next to the MBP. By default, they have the same brightness in everything but HDR content, something I'm not consuming all too much on my laptop after all. So in many situations, the brightness isn't actually different. The 500 Nits it gets are definitely far from dim. There are of course apps like Vivid to increase the maximum brightness of the Pros outside of HDR content but I just assume that most people will stick to the default...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.