New Macbook air vs Old 08 MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wiltrold, Jul 21, 2011.

1. wiltrold, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

wiltrold macrumors newbie

Hi everyone
    With the release of Lion and the two new mac models, and this is the first time in 2 and a half years that I've been tempted to replace my macbook 13' unibody late 2008. I bought the machine with a 2,4 GHz duo core, 4 GB ram, and the only upgrade I have made is a new battery and Snow Leopard OS.

I use my mac mostly for school (iWorks, Curio), Web browsing, minor photo editing with iPhoto, I listen to alot of music and I play some Minecraft.

The reason why I'm tempted by the Air model is that it features SSD, a faster CPU and GPU, better resolution, better battery life and better mobility. I move my mac alot because of school and friends, so I need great mobility.

A family member has offered to pay 1/3 of the 13" Air 128 GB model in exchange of my current macbook.

If you were in my situation, would you replace the macbook?
    Or maybe should I consider other options (upgrade my current macbook)?
    Pros and cons of the two choices?
    Your opinion?

/Wiltrold

2. Cricketman macrumors regular

if you want to, it would be a nice upgrade. I do think you can fetch more than $430 for your current MB though.

3. wiltrold thread starter macrumors newbie

I have also considered buying a new 13" MBP at the same price. It features a faster CPU but the HDD will be a bottleneck, and I've heard that the Air will therefore feel faster.

4. wiltrold thread starter macrumors newbie

Other opinions?
    Is it too risky to use a MBA as my primary computer?

5. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

I would accept the offer of the family member (I know you can get a couple more 50s selling your computer somewhere else, but see it as a favor to your family) and upgrade. If I were you, that`s what I'd do.

6. MrJSmith macrumors newbie

Wiltrold,
    I am the same predicament you are in today. I've been on the fence about making the sell or not. But as for the help, I have a black MacBook 13'in in perfect condition and I was offered $600 for it by PowerMAX.com. They're an authorized Apple reseller.
    But back to the main point, the decision is hard to make. I enjoy new toys and I'd love to make the upgrade, but with the bang come with the buck. In other words, will it be worth it?

7. wordoflife, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I personally have a 2010 MBP 13" which pretty much has the same specifications as your old MacBook. Lion runs works fine on this and I think the specs are adequate for your needs. However, there's nothing wrong with just wanting something new in general, and if you can justify it (which you have done), then go for it! You don't even need to justify getting something new, so if you really want it, then just go for it.

Will you notice any big differences between the computers? Probably nothing except the longer battery life, snappier performance (due to SSD which can be upgraded in your current computer), a larger resolution, and smaller chasis.

Would I upgrade? Probably not considering I can just upgrade to an SSD to get snappy performance (as the MacBook Air has).
    But remember, it's not about me.

8. wiltrold thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done some thinking, and I've come to the conclusion that an Air not will suit me as well as my current macbook does. I'm checking out Powermax, and if I'm getting a great deal, I may reconsider the buy. Maybe look into the MBP series again. Or maybe wait for the redesign... choices...