New Macbook Airs don't have Backlit keyboards?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hellfire88, Oct 20, 2010.

1. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

For the 11.6" anyways. Looking at some close-up pics of the keyboard I don't see the silkscreened icons for adjusting the backlit keyboard brightness on the "F keys".

Also, the specs on www.apple.com don't mention anything about backlit keyboards. if this is true, an unfortunate "step backwards" in that respect :(

2. kkachurak macrumors regular

Ya, I thought they said, "No Compromises"?

Hmm. :rolleyes:

3. TreRep macrumors regular

TreRep

4. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Wait for rev B and the big upgrade to keyboard lights.

5. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Seems like it's too thin for even a 5mm fiber optic light. Well that's unfortunate.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The backlit keyboard is a huge feature to me and taking it away was retarded.

7. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    backlight would probably suck too much power as well...

8. potdude macrumors member

It's merely another tactic for Apple to sell more product. Why should they include a backlit keyboard in revision 1 of the new MBA when they can include the feature in revision 2.

Anybody who loves their revision 1 MBA will certainly want to upgrade to revision 2 for this great "new" feature, and Apple sits pretty with twice as much revenue from us sheeple.

9. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

If you can type by touch there really is no point in having backlit keys. I find it distracting even, and always turn it off.

10. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

You know, I've always wanted an Air, and I think this is my perfect opportunity to pick up the Rev C of the first design...

I thought it was sexier anyway, and one feature I wish I had now was a backlit keyboard... and there's no way I'm shelling out for a MacBook Pro for that one feature.

11. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

I doubt there was any room for that feature, given that even the mic had to be relocated to the side.

12. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

First rep told me they had it, called back second rep said it will come with Lion.:confused:

13. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Wth???!!!???!!!!

No backlit keyboard = NO SALE. :mad:

14. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

I hope they find a way to include it on the next rev. It makes playing games in dark room much easier.

15. opera57 macrumors 6502

To be honest it's not exactly the end of the world. I don't look at the keyboard when typing anyway.. it would probably just add distraction. Its a cool feature which I do like but I wouldn't not buy a machine because of it.
    :apple:

16. kingsal macrumors member

I don't care about a backlit keyboard. I don't look at the keys when I'm typing anyway, and I find the light coming out of the keyboard distracting on the MBP.

It also sucks battery, and I'd rather have longer battery life than a backlit keyboard.

17. karkid macrumors member

18. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Backlit KB was only a toy for me, barely used it maybe couple of times.
    No big deal.

I'm starting to fall in love with top of the line (2.1/4/256), give me 8GB at $200 extra - and I'm at the store already :rolleyes:

19. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

20. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

Isn't it obvious? They want users to step up to the MBP 13' that has backlit keyboards.

21. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Step up? The 13" Macbook Air is already more expensive than the MBP.

22. mac715 macrumors newbie

I thought this was a near perfect upgrade from my Rev B MBA. Huge disappointment! Why take a step backwards? The backlit keyboard is an extremely important feature for me.

23. Manatee macrumors 6502

Manatee

If it doesn't have it, I think I'll miss it. I'm used to having it on my MBPs, and I like it.

I have a Sony Windows PC that doesn't have it, and when I'm using it in the dark, and take my hands off the keyboard, getting back to the home keys is hit or miss. But then, my Sony has a moronic design where the regular keyboard (and mouse pad!) is not centered with the screen; it is offset to the left because they include a numeric keypad.

Maybe I'll be fine without it. Maybe it's just the stupid design of the Sony that messes me up.

24. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

That's a deal breaker for me. I love showing off the light-up keyboard.:cool:

25. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Just before the battery dies :p