Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bouncer1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2010
If you can type by touch there really is no point in having backlit keys. I find it distracting even, and always turn it off.

Same here, might be handy if you want to get laid or something, or as a show off factor, but not really important for touch typing, a nuisance for than anything.

Having said that, I am sure for some people it would have actually been useful, esp. those who don't touch type, but what can you do, you can't have everything I guess.

r2fa3l

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
Texas
it should have been there. some ppl like me like how it looks. $1600 apple wont be seeing from me..........

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
The keyboard issue has nothing to do with whether you can touch type or not. I can touch type, but I use it laying on the couch watching TV, I have no idea how I'm suppose to touch type in the dark laying sideways, or why I need to to type in one or two words into a search. The reason people want it is irrelevant. It's arrogant to tell people what they should like or how to use there computer. It would be like me saying to somebody who uses iChat all the time. 'who cares they left out the camera? I never use it'

The Macbook Air previously had a backlit keyboard. This feature was removed.

Not a good look Apple.

Thank you, finally someone in here who is not the arrogant "oh than you just can't type" - well - type

eddieaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
new MBA sucks, i'm keeping my MBA with backlit keyboard:D

DSC01008.jpg

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
No backlit keyboard = no money for Apple from me.

Maybe next revision they'll wise up and put the backlit keyboard back. I've already submitted feedback to Apple on this gross negligence. And I imagine His Steveness will probably get an e-mail or two on the matter.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
So now we know why a second USB port - so you can power your clip-on LED light to see the keys in low ambient light (like on a transatlantic flight eastbound or in a darkened auditorium...)

Madgenius

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
They went ahead and threw glossy displays in as well. Totally trashed the last bastion of matte goodness that was the Rev. C MBA.

No backlit keyboard + glossy display = no money for Apple from me.

Maybe next revision they'll wise up and put the backlit keyboard back. I've already submitted feedback to Apple on this gross negligence.

MBA Always had a glossy display. It's not as glossy as the glass front MBP, but it's always been there.

Funny thing, if your in the dark (need for Backlit keys) the glossy screen doesn't matter ;-)

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
X2

The level of arrogance and ignorance on this forum is insane. Some of you Apple cannons just take it too far, you'll buy just about anything Kord Jobs releases.

im still on the fence about the MBA and it has nothing to do with the lack of BL keyboard.

im gonna go start a thread in the imac thread complaining why their keyboards aren't BL :D

fernando.kreutz

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
brazil
maybe, it would not look "wonderful", "gorgeous" or some other adjectives out there with the new power button on the keyboard, so get over that

bouncer1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2010
Thank you, finally someone in here who is not the arrogant "oh than you just can't type" - well - type

I dislike the arrogant comments too, that's why I made allowances for people who might not touch type, and said I am sure some people might find it useful. But the comment you yayyyed was pretty much rubbish. Touch typing is not irrelevant to lit up keyboards, it is very relevant indeed, if you can't touch type you really need a lit up keyboard, period, if you can you most probably don't. The guy you quoted described a scenario where he has the mac sideways on a couch (even then he can still place his hands where the little lumps are on f and j and get a good feel of the keyboard), yeah give me a break and I want to type when I have my mac on the table behind the couch, why won't it project the keys on the wall in front. But even then what he said doesn't make much sense because a. like I said you can still sense the keys via touch, and b. because simply the screen is close enough and bright enough to see the keys when you have a pretty good idea of where everything is.

So, no to snarkiness from me too (but if you don't want snarkiness you are best off posting at other mac forums than here, and I do mean that in a very honest way, people here are snarky for no reason) but no to bs arguments.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
LOL @ all the fanboys who now, overnight, have become anti backlit keyboard just because Jobs took it away. No backlit keyboard is a step backwards, and a de facto deal breaker. Backlit keyboard use virtually no power, they are LED, and they just doubled the battery life more or less so spare us the "they suck too much power" excuse.

You guys realize why there is no backlit keyboard, right? Because Jobs just couldn't stand the site of a hideous power button in the top right corner, so he just HAD to move it onto the keyboard for aesthetics, so something had to go, and it was the backlit keyboard. Now unless they invent more keys for the keyboard, don't expect to get this feature back in the next revision. Retarded. Absolutely retarded.

You know what's scary though? Down the road when they redesign the MBP, you know now that it's gonna get the same F row power button, and something's gonna have to be sacrificed there too.

laughingperson5

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2009
I don't even need my backlit keyboard for my MBP.

The light from the screen (even in the lowest setting) is sufficient, that is, you're not blind as a bat.

Madgenius

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
I dislike the arrogant comments too, that's why I made allowances for people who might not touch type, and said I am sure some people might find it useful. But the comment you yayyyed was pretty much rubbish. Touch typing is not irrelevant to lit up keyboards, it is very relevant indeed, if you can't touch type you really need a lit up keyboard, period, if you can you most probably don't. The guy you quoted described a scenario where he has the mac sideways on a couch (even then he can still place his hands where the little lumps are on f and j and get a good feel of the keyboard), yeah give me a break and I want to type when I have my mac on the table behind the couch, why won't it project the keys on the wall in front. But even then what he said doesn't make much sense because a. like I said you can still sense the keys via touch, and b. because simply the screen is close enough and bright enough to see the keys when you have a pretty good idea of where everything is.

So, no to snarkiness from me too (but if you don't want snarkiness you are best off posting at other mac forums than here, and I do mean that in a very honest way, people here are snarky for no reason) but no to bs arguments.

Wait? Wha? You missed the whole point of my post in your response. What's irrelevant is any opinion (or typing advice) as to why people want backlighting on the laptop they paid for. I don't even understand why would someone post about something they don't have an issue with? If we don't like the fact that apple removed a feature we used, and they tout, we can have our voice. Let them know they messed up.

I'll be sure to barge in the heat thread topics and tell people to wear thicker pants.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Are people really that concerned about the lack of backlit keyboard, especially with a big bright screen in front of it? It's a cool show-off feature to have but hardly a must-need, surely?

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
MBA Always had a glossy display. It's not as glossy as the glass front MBP, but it's always been there.

Funny thing, if your in the dark (need for Backlit keys) the glossy screen doesn't matter ;-)

Right. So if you're in the bright light, you can see the keyboard, but not the screen.

Now thanks to the lack of backlit keyboard, when your in the dark you can see the screen but not the keyboard.

It's annoying to use in BOTH scenarios now! Excellent work Apple!

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Not a dealbreaker for me but it is a great feature that is lacking. As the most portable mac I would imagine it is the one which needs it most

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.