New Macbook (alu.) with no warranty??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by will0407, Oct 30, 2008.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I've come across a macbook I can probably get for about £650/£700 ish. It's the new aluminium version. The guy selling it who I spoke to earlier says he has an apple receipt for it that he got from the original seller, but he says it has no warranty on the receipt. Seen as this is a new model, less that 1 month old, is that even possible? I would have thought such a new, high end product would come with a warranty.

Do you think I should take a shot and buy it? or does it sound a bit dodgy/odd to you guys??

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Enter the serial number here to determine the warranty status.

3. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheers for the fast reply. where do you find the serial number on the item, as i'm not sure he has a box for it.

4. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, just found another easier way- click on about this mac, then click the details just below the apple sign, and it goes to your serial

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's the way to check the serial number if it's running. If it's not powered up, the link I sent works.

6. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

All new machines come with 1 year of warranty if you buy them legitimately.

Then again, I don't know why someone trying to sell you a boosted laptop would tell you that it doesn't come with warranty. I think this guy is just misinformed.

7. ju5tin81 macrumors regular

Go to the Apple Menu, 'About this Mac' and where it says 'Version 10.5.X' click 3 times. That shows the serial. Sounds like a great deal! Enjoy your new Mac. :)

Edit: Whoops, been answered already.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Careful when you touch it, that puppy is more than likely HOT!

9. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, so it only comes by itself, just the macbook, no mains charger, no box, nothing. I'm really unsure whether to get it. Not sure how much a new charger would set me back. Think they're about £40 on ebay. If the serial number checks out, and I can get it for less than £600, think it's probably worth a go!

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

11. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Do you mind having stolen property?

12. trentcanuck macrumors member

13. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

haha sad to say, but i agree :)

just not worth the risk IMHO.. if it isnt stolen then its probably a setup

14. trentcanuck macrumors member

Can I just add that you would have to have the world's WORST sense of good judgement??

This computer has only been on the market for two weeks, and it's already being re-sold? That should raise alarms.

And according to your story, the guy trying to sell it to you is not ever the original owner. TWO owners already, in two weeks? That should raise alarms.

Two weeks is a short time-frame to lose the box, manuals, DVD's, remote, etc. That should raise alarms.

A laptop being sold without ANY accessories, including charger?? That should raise alarms.

This is the most obviously stolen computer imaginable! Why would you even post your question here??

15. Smacky macrumors 6502

16. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha, I think i've been blinded by the fact that I'm so desperate to get one of these but just can't afford to pay the normal price for them. I can get HE student discount, but thats still too much.

17. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

All I gotta say is if you ignore everything that was said here (stolen), and something goes wrong (stolen) don't expect anyone to do anything except point the finger and say "told you you shouldn't have bought it."

Bad idea. Save the money if you don't have it and just wait.

18. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

19. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

just a point- you all say it's stolen but there's a receipt with it. What happens if the serial on the receipt matches the macbook? still mean it's stolen??!!

20. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Possibly. For a new machine to not have a box or charger, but only a receipt. Very very dodgy. I'd keep away from it

21. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Here's an idea.

I bought a alum 2.0 macbook off of a college student who bought it and had buyer's remorse. If this guy has the original receipt with the serial number, he either ripped off his roommate, or bought it legitimately.

When I bought mine off of CL, I made a copy of the original buyer's receipt, blacked out the credit card information, and wrote a bill of sale from the original buyer to me. If someone's willing to sign, date and address a bill of sale, he's either a legitimate owner, or very, very stupid.

22. BayouBengal macrumors regular

The receipt could have been in the bag that the laptop was stolen with.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

24. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

its stolen i can forge a reciept in 10 minutes.