New MacBook for late 2015?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Adam1986, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Adam1986 macrumors newbie

What is the likelihood that Apple will release an updated MacBook (on the April model) later this year?

I'm planning to buy the April one in the next few weeks, but want to make sure Apple isn't going to release an updated model soon.

2. Vladislav macrumors regular

There is a good chance they will update macbook in october. Intel already released Skylake CPU designed for rMB, im waiting till october to see what happens, since skylake cpu will bring 10-15% CPU boost as well as 40% GPU boost, and they might throw in a better camera 720p as well as second gen USB-C port. well worth the wait!

3. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Respectfully disagree; it usually takes Apple a good six months to get new processors into their laptops; I'm not expecting a refresh until March next year at the earliest.

4. Vladislav macrumors regular

6 months? where did you get that number from. I think apple one of the first customers who getting new chips from intel, and skylake cpu available already for a good few weeks.

So i see no problem for them to update in october.

Considering also that Surface pro 4 will be released in october also with skylake CPU. And other ultra portables will be updated by then.

5. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

I also doubt that any updates for rMB will happen in 2015. I’d also like to see the battery system improved and the rattle problem addressed.

6. Vladislav macrumors regular

what do you mean by battery system? With new Skylake CPU rMB will get an extra hour of battery life, what more do you want? :)

7. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

There have been numerous posts regarding overall lackluster battery performance — in particular, mAH dramatically dropping off and inability to achieve advertised battery life.

8. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I don't see an update of the rmb until 2016. However, I do see price drop.

9. Vladislav macrumors regular

Price drop will be on black friday sales and holidays offers, thats for sure.

Anyway, even if update will be in february-march, thats fine, still well worth the wait. We are half way there already, counting from april release.

With all the updates and cheaper price, count me in! :)

10. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

It took over three months for them to release the Broadwell 13in pro, because they waited for their usual spring update cycle in mid-March; there is still no Broadwell 15in nine months after Broadwell was launched. Apple work to their own update calendar, they don't time their updates to fit Intel's.

They could update in Oct if they wanted to, but history suggests that they won't be in any rush.

11. Vladislav macrumors regular

i can argue with you that by the time they updated 13 pro boradwell, CPU wasnt ready for 15 inch model and they left it until skylake, since its was only a few months away.

Dont forget that this year is unique situation with two generations of CPU being released in the space of a 3-4 months. correct me if im wrong though.

remember they updates Ipad 3 retina (arguably underpowered) - 6 months after release. They surely can update rMB (also arguably underpowered) after 6 months too.

And ready for holidays sales too, on top of that. why wait till january-february when everyone will be on tight budget after big holiday spending?

12. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

There are lots of instances over the years where Apple has refreshed one product or another multiple times in a year. Not sure why some people would think that the new rMB would be any different.

Here are just a few examples (in 2 or 3 year increments):

2002 - iBook (Jan), iBook (May), iBook (Nov)

2005 - PowerBook G4 (Jan), PowerBook G4 (Oct), Mac mini (Jan), Mac mini (Sept), iMac G5 (May), iMac G5 (Oct)

2007 - Macbook (May), Macbook (Nov)

2009 - Macbook (Jan), Macbook (May), Macbook (Oct)

2012 - Macbook Pro (Jun), Macbook Pro (Oct)

Fact is, Intel has most of the Skylake CPUs launched right now*. They aren't launching next week, next month, or next year.

This does not mean in the slightest that there will be some sort of "refresh event" if Apple does decide to refresh gear in time for Xmas season (lots of examples where a refresh has happened without any fanfare too.) Just to point out that the supportive statements made by people throughout these forums (and not necessarily in just this thread) have very little to do with facts, both past and present.

*Intel ARK: http://ark.intel.com/

13. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

Good list, duervo. But all of those updates were spec bumps (except MacBook Unibody release in 2009). I bet 99% of people who want an "updated" 12" MacBook are counting on a 2010-era MacBook Air update - where more ports added and new form factor.

If Apple just bumped the processor to Skylake with a Press Release-type update in October, say, I bet most of those people who are "waiting" for the 12" MacBook to get "Better" would be unhappy.

Also, with Tim Cook saying "this is our holiday lineup" at the iPhone 6s event... I'm not holding my breath for more new products. (though rumours do say there is a 21" 4K iMac ready to be released at some point - maybe around El Capitan public release).

At this point I'd put a 12" MacBook update before 2016 at about a 10-15% chance, IMHO. (and not just 'cause I already own the 1st gen and love it! ;) )

14. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Nope. He never said that during the keynote. The tech "blogosphere" coined that phrase.

- An Extremetech.com blog said that. Calling it "Apple's holiday line-up".

- Cultofmac.com said that in a blog entry, saying, "Optimism around Apple's holiday lineup ..."

- Hotapplenews.com used it in a blog entry as well. Choosing the phrase, "... follow along as Tim Cook and company unveil Apple's holiday line-up."

There are more, but continuing on at this point would be rather pedantic (or even more-so, I suppose) on my part.

Cook himself never said any such thing during the keynote.

15. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

I have money burning hole in my pockets and hope for an MacBook update later this year, so I can buy one and a new pair of pants for christmas.

16. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Personally I think Q-1 2016, as Apple will look to include TB-3 and that requires Intel's Alpine Ridge controller, which is yet to be produced in significant numbers. Apple can then move forward with a new TB display and unify it`s portable line up.

Q-6

17. wayne905 macrumors member

wayne905

put in a better webcam and better processor, and I'll be getting one. The 14" one would be even better

18. businezguy macrumors 6502

I think it's safe to say a new rMB will be out in either October of this year or March of next year. I'd bet on October of this year because of Skylake and the fact that other major releases will occur using the Skylake processor around that time. A new Surface Pro 4 might be particularly compelling for customers, and Apple needs to compete. I know in the past Apple has been able to procrastinate, but the atmosphere is more competitive right now.

19. majkom macrumors 65816

only problem of this list is that it all happened during "old apple era"...

20. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

Interesting. But why have a two and a half-hour keynote with products being announced two months out, if you were gonna have another fall event? Apple used to do iPhone/Music in Sept and then Macs/iPads in October. But they blew their iPad wad already.

doesn't point to me to an imminent MacBook update with Skylake like so many are hoping for. All this "Apple needs to compete" stuff rings of people who said Apple "needed" a hard keyboard. Or "needed" to make a netbook to compete. Apple does what it wants, when it's ready.

Apple left the MacBook Air (what the new MacBook arguably replaced) stagnant for arguably 2+ years from late 2008 to late 2010. (Not that they'd do that now, but I see no rush for them to update the MacBook so soon after launch. Especially since people couldn't actually *get* them in many places until ~June.

21. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

does skylake offer improved battery life or just better specs than broadwell?

22. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

A processor update wouldn't need an event, to be fair - unless they are changing more than just the processor, this would happen under the radar, based on past behaviour.

I still don't think they'll do it before March though; all good arguments both ways above, but I don't believe they will update a brand new product line six months after it launched. Skyline presents an opportunity for them to UPDATE THE MACBOOK FOR 2016; which I doubt will otherwise happen (I disagree that a second USB-C port is coming 12 months post launch; 'just buy the adapter' is Apple's answer to that).

23. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Either towards the end of this year, or January/February 2016 -- depending on when a sufficient quantity of the desired CPU chips get into the production line...

24. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

anyone?

25. Vladislav macrumors regular

Up to 30% better battery life if I remember correctly which transfers into extra hour