New Macbook fries, Apple denies warranty coverage!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by teamturbo, Apr 22, 2009.

1. teamturbo macrumors member

Hello,

I have a 13" 2.16 Macbook purchased brand new from Apple.com with 3 year warranty. Purchased in August 2007.

The computer has been babied and taken care of. Last week, the computer fried after being woken up from in sleep mode. There was a pop sound, it simply turned off, and an electric burning smell was noticeable.

Absolutely NO liquid / moisture contact what so ever.

The computer is promptly taken MacXperts in Lawrence KS. They deny my claim saying

"Even though there's a chance the damage occurred due to a hardware problem, Apple can't cover the repair because there's a chance it was an accident, too, and not a hardware issue." She basically told me I spilled water on it & I was told to sell it for scraps on ebay. One can argue that ALL repairs could be due to accidents. Estimates for the repair are $900, a so basically a brand new Macbook.

My question - has anyone ever had this issue? Is there a solution to the problem? This is EXACTLY why I bought 3yr extended warranty, because I know laptops have a high failure rate. Can I take it to a different Apple store for possible replacement?

Edit ** This computer gave me ***** right out of the box. Within 6 months of owning the computer, the hard drive failed and had to be replaced by Apple.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

There is a possibility that authorized service center is denying you coverage to cover their own asses, just in case it does happen to be fraudulent.

Any chance you could take it to a corporate Apple store? If so, don't mention what the other place said because it could make them suspicious (which could be a hassle if it weren't true). I would just make an appointment if possible, and walk in explaining your original problem to them, and take it from there.

3. teamturbo thread starter macrumors member

There is an official Apple store about 40 min from where I live. Won't Apple know that I utilized my Apple Care at MacXperts just days before? I was not charged for the inspection under the Apple care.

This whole thing isn't fair...

4. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Nah dude. Take it to an Apple store. A similar thing happened to me. My battery was dying. I called Applecare on the phone. They said it was not covered and to buy a new battery. Maybe a week later I went to an Apple store. Genius dude plugged his pimped out iPod into my Macbook Pro and booted off of it, ran some diagnostic program to check, the screen turned red and BAD flashed in big letters. Genius said "I'll go to the back and get you a new battery sir."

5. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Call Applecare or go to the Apple Store and see if Apple is friendlier than the folks at MacXperts.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

They checked your coverage, and if anything inspected your machine or even decided it wasn't worth it and just gave it back with that excuse.

Authorized service centers can pretty much check coverage, and order parts accordingly from Apple citing the failure for said parts being replaced (space bar doesn't work, leaky capacitors, user damage). After that, a history of repairs/parts ordered can be viewed. I don't recall ever seeing a flag for spill/drop damage when NOT ordering parts. Basically, if nothing was ordered FROM Apple, or it was out of warranty part not ordered specifically for that machine, then nothing happened as far as Apple knew.

They MAY have talked to an Apple REP, but that doesn't mean there is a flag on your machine, and also doesn't mean that your coverage is OVER. Just that one particular authorized store DENIED coverage.

The only other thing I can think of, is if they SHIPPED your computer off to Apple and Apple directly refused coverage, however, if that was the case, Apple charges a fee of roughly $150 for labor on a machine that is worked on but ends up not being covered by warranty (that's when it's shipped, I don't know how that policy applies at the corporate store).

If I were you, and there really is no spill damage or physical damage to the machine, then I wouldn't pay too much attention to what that authorized store said and would just take it in to Apple (you have to make a reservation at corporate stores for tech support!)

7. teamturbo thread starter macrumors member

The computer was not shipped to Apple by MacXperts, so I'll definitely make a reservation with my local Apple store.

And yes, this is in all honesty, absolutely no spill damage. The thing literally fried before my eyes.

Thanks for the info.

8. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Good luck to you and let us know what happens.
    I recently moved from Kansas City (where there is an Apple Store) to Columbia (where there is a MacXperts). To be truthful I am not very thrilled with MacXperts and if my iMac ever needs warranty service I will probably drive it to the Apple Store.
    Morod

9. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Also, on the off-chance that the authorized store ****ed up your machine through their own ignorance and claimed physical damage, ask them for pictures of the damage. However, I wouldn't worry about that unless Apple claims the same thing. There was a time when I busted someones top case during a repair on a MBP (on my own time, not with any company). I owned up to my mistake (almost started crying cause I felt like a total jagoff, but not in front of the customer). Anyway, I was fully prepared to buy the man a new top case (because I'm a man), but ended up getting lucky and not having to pay for the replacement I got. Sufficed to say he was cool about it.

Any-hoo, in my experience, many people claim ignorance to the fact they spilled on their machines. After that there are the people who know they screwed up (and a majority of the time I saw it, it was booze), and then finally there are the people that do have spill damage but honestly have no idea. I heard one parent smack her kid while I was on the phone with her after I told her there was spill damage. It took only a few seconds of yelling at her kid who finally owned up to the damage.

I'm not saying you fall under any category here, but on the small chance that the store did screw you over it would be really hard to make that claim.

10. teamturbo thread starter macrumors member

I live alone - no one touches the computer but me. You seem to imply that it's doubtful a Macbook can fry on its own. Failure rate on these laptops has to be around 7-10% within the first 2-3 years I'd guess?

11. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Something like that, the 3 Intel Macs I've had have all had their logic board fail within two years of purchase.

Take it to the Apple Store, if that doesn't work, phone up the headquarters (133-MAC, I think.)

12. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

No, if there's a chance of a failure then Apple needs to own up to its Applecare program. If they find proof of water damage, then they take it back to the owner, unrepaired. It shouldn't matter weather its 1 day into coverage, or 1 day from the end of coverage.

If he didn't buy extended coverage, then your attitude would apply.......

13. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Unless they can prove accident damage, they have to honour the warranty.

14. madog macrumors 65816

madog

No, not at all. It's definitely possible, and I've seen it happen before (only the results after). Logic boards fry themselves, sometimes they "eat" hard drives and optical drives, I haven't seen it all but I have seen a lot.

I'm just trying to say that if you go to an Apple store and mention, "Hey, the other place denied me coverage because they said it was user damage/spilling", it could only create an unnecessary hassle for you if in fact there is none. They will most likely see it as: that you spilled and are lying or someone else did, and so on before listening to reason or the truth, because spill damage happens all the time and people lie about it all the time. I'm not trying to imply that you did or anything, but that plenty of people do, and that's what Apple and any other Genius or tech would assume first if you mentioned it right off the bat. I just kind of ramble soemtimes.

15. teamturbo thread starter macrumors member

Alright guys,

Thanks for all the input. I've got an appointment setup in Kansas City with Apple Genius this weekend. I'll see how it goes, crossing my fingers that they uphold their warranty on this machine.

16. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes for you.
    Morod

17. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

Very interested in the outcome of this situation.

18. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Sorry to hear about your frustration. I've been through it myself with 3rd party AppleCare providers. They vary widely in providing service; there are some really bad and really good ones.

19. teamturbo thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE**

Absolutely incredible. I went to MacXperts to pickup the laptop today which they were holding. They hand me the computer in pieces! The keyboard is off, the logic board is disconnected, and 2 mini curcuit boards with connectors taken out, and about 30 screws in a zip lock bag. They tell me Apple Care does NOT cover the assembly of the computer since this is a "Logic board issue, and Apple DOES NOT uphold on logic board issues." I'm absolutely furious and very tempted to just break the laptop in half over the managers head. They basically tell me to piss off, it's not their problem, they won't put it together, if I want it put together, the cost will be $80.

I immediately call customer service and speak to an Apple representitive for about 1 hour on the issue. I inform him of how I was treated, the fact they stated that Apple does NOT replace logic boards, the fact that I was quoted $900 for a new logic board, etc. He took the issue VERY seriously and said he'll investigate first thing on Monday, including calling the place and speaking with manager.

I personally suspect some sort of Apple Care billing scam. These guys take money from Apple on warranty issues it seems.

I asked the Apple rep about water damage - he said it should not be an issue. Water damage corrodes the board very quickly and is easy to identify. Anyway, it seems I won't be going to Apple Genius tomorrow since the computer is in pieces. An investigation is taking place on MacXperts - I'm sorry but I'm short on time right now and have to run. I'll update you guys with the progress of this.

20. Illicit macrumors 6502

Untrue. MacXperts is ***** with you.
    Apple DOES include logic board defects in its AppleCare protection plan - I just had mine replaced last week.
    Good luck on Monday! Let us know how it goes.

21. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Wow!
    That is beyond words, teamturbo. I can't believe any computer repair place, let alone an Apple authorized repair center, would ever treat a customer like that.
    I hate to think how I would've handled the situation you described.
    Sorry to hear this.
    Are you still going to the Apple Store to try to have this resolved?
    Best of luck!
    Morod

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The service centre is wrong.

Warranty certainly covers logic boards unless they can prove damage.

The machine should have been correctly reassembled before returning.

I hope Apple give the place a huge serve and get your machine fixed pronto.

23. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

teamturbo,
    Be sure to let us know what your next step is!
    I sure hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction....
    Morod

24. nüb macrumors member

If all else fails, you can call Apple too. I had a screen issue where about 20 pixels died. I was told by the Grande Douche at the Apple Store that I damaged it. Basically he weaseled his way out of a repair and accused me of assaulting my computer. If that was my first experience with Apple, it would have been my last. Lucky for me, I called up Apple, they sent me a box. I sent them my computer. They sent me my computer back with a new screen!! So, if all else fails, the Apple "Mothership" is the great equalizer.

25. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Correct. It seems like this MacXperts place is just messing with you. I would stay away from those authorized shops and stick primarily with Apple even if its a 1-hour drive away.

Keep us updated! :)