New MacBook glass trackpad freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thiagos, Nov 2, 2008.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I was wondering if someone could help me out. At this point I don't know whether my MacBook is defective or not.

I have both the new Aluminum MacBook and the new MacBook Pro. The trackpad on the MacBook pro never gave me any problems but the MacBook's trackpad freezes and it is only solved after I restart the machine. This has happened 5 times already and it is really starting to frustrate me.

My question is: this this happening to other MacBook owners (the new MacBook with glass trackpad) or do I have a defective machine?

Thanks in advance.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

when is the last time you rebooted?

when is the last time you repaired permissions?

3. kennyli macrumors regular

If you check other thread in this forum, you will see you are not alone. Quite a few members encountering trackpad freezes, but only for 1-2 seconds than it will unfreezes.

If you have to restart, than your problem is much bigger! Send it back for replacement is your only choice.

It seems that Apple is not doing a good job in QC!

4. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

I reboot my computer everyday. I repaired my partition yesterday and still, the trackpad crashed again. I know it is the glass trackpad because when I use my bluetooth mouse, the computer does not freeze at all even after using it for extended hours.

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I thought i was the only one but yea mine freezes at least 4 times a day, however it unfreezes within 2 seconds.

Its even worse in Bootcamp where the thing just goes outright insane jumping around and stopping for 5 secs or more.

Apple definitely need to update the drivers on these things

6. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

OP I definitely think you should take it back because that is not normal. I might be in the minority here, but my trackpad never freezes. Although, I have only had my MB for a week.

7. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

8. lensam macrumors newbie

9. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

What a joke.

10. amsukalski macrumors newbie

So you're saying repairing my disk permissions every 6 hours won't fix all my problems, Matt? :rolleyes:

11. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Mine freezes for about 2 seconds just about everytime I'm finished entering in something in a text field. Hopefully Apple will release a bug fix for this.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Sorry that has never helped you. It has helped me. Perhaps you have another less jokey suggestion for the OP? Or did you come here just to show us how cool you are? BTW, if not repairing permissions on a Mac makes you cool, my grandma is waaay cooler than you.

13. sutherlandan macrumors newbie

Mine seems to freeze randomly for a couple seconds every now and then, doesnt seem to be a pattern for when its going to happen though...
    mildly annoying, but definitely tolerable.

14. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

That sounds really annoying! I don't have that problem (I do have slanted keys though). Personally I would return it as the keys are not very bothersome functionally whereas the trackpad would seem like a huge annoyance (especially in the long run).

15. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I've got the same problem. It seems like when I pick my hand up off the case, it becomes responsive again. Could just be a coincidence.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Freezes?

Wow, can you like use that to chill your beer?

17. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Only while using MS Word ;)

18. Banu macrumors newbie

Just freeze?

I am sorry to say that but this "crippling disease" gets worse with time.

My MacbookPro is about 1 month old (bought at the end of October). I immediately noticed the 2-second freeze problem, but it was very rare and ignorable.

However, now...

When the keyboard and trackpad freeze, they never come back unless I reboot it. By the way, this happened more than 10 times yesterday!

Plugging in a USB mouse gives control via the mouse, not the trackpad, but at least I can save my work before restarting.

I have tried several things, but it still happens. I plan to return this laptop within a couple of days unless someone from Apple acknowledges this problem and assures us that they are working on it.

:(

19. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

How does that make it a month old? :confused:

20. Banu macrumors newbie

21. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

22. nubee macrumors member

I haven't had any issues with my trackpad at all. Then again, I constantly switch between my mouse and the pad, so I'm not using it all the time.

23. Molopo macrumors regular

What a joke.

looooooooooool

24. Banu macrumors newbie

Not glass trackpad, but freezes

My Macbook Pro does not have glass trackpad, but it still has the same problem. I had explained it in my previous post, but I had not mentioned that it was not glass trackpad. Anyway...

During the last couple of days I noticed something else. When it freezes, if I stop trying to use it and wait a few seconds without touching it, it sometimes starts working again. If, however, I insist on using it and try to move the cursor, it never returns back to normal until I restart.

25. mac jones macrumors 68040

YES

this trackpad is acting up and driving me crazy.

It stutters.

It had better be a software fix (i'm sure it is)

because its very bad.