New MacBook now or after WWDC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wowoah, May 15, 2008.

1. wowoah macrumors regular

Hi! I need to get a new MacBook for the bar exam in July (the exam software doesn't run on PPC Macs), but I've heard there's a possibility of a hardware update or refresh at WWDC in a couple weeks. What are the chances of that? I'd like to buy ASAP so I can get it all set up before my bar courses start, but I'm willing to wait a couple weeks for a better machine.

So what do you all think? Buy now or wait til WWDC?

Thanks!

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

I doubt they will update the Macbooks at WWDC, because that's more for developers, and all the attention will be for iPhone. I'm thinking they will updated sometime either this month or towards the end of next month.

3. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

no updates

im no professional predicter but i wouldnt expect to see any updates untill monteniva is released. what can they update? they wouldnt add more ram because theres now plenty of that, the processors are pretty close to macbook pro levels so wouldnt want to upgrade them, a case upgrade would be a waste of time without a hardware upgrade, dedicated graphics arent gonig to see the macbook and certainly not before the design update. they are pretty damn good units at the moment and most the creases have been ironed out after their introduction in 2006.

i expect the next upgrade to have
    ~led backlight on the screen
    ~monteniva processor
    ~a descent integrated graphics chip (like the lastest onboard from nvidia)
    ~case redesign
    ~multitouch trackpad
    ~thinner form factor
    ~no bluray
    ~thinner bezel on the screen

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I would say there is no harm in waiting until after wwdc, and by then the free iPod deal will be on, and you will still have a month to get used to software, but if you need as much time as possible, buy a blackbook now, its a very good machine.

I also think there will be an update, it will be steves "oh and another thing" on the last day or two.

5. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Wait

I'd say wouldn't hurt to wait... :]

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Intel may say differently, in which case Apple will follow suit, but I would expect that the MBP will get Montevina at least 2-3 months before the MacBook.

7. stekerrod macrumors regular

i maybe wrong here but last time the MBPs got a processor upgrade didnt the Macbook get it on the same day?

8. jonswan macrumors regular

WWDC = iPhone. I very much doubt Apple will update notebook lines so soon after the last one and thus annoying a huge customer base. Mid-late summer maybe.

9. wowoah thread starter macrumors regular

Great! Thanks everyone! Sounds like I might be doing some shopping this weekend, especially since there's a fancy new Apple store downtown on Boylston St (I live in Boston now).

10. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea ... just wait. Why are you in such a hurry to spend your hard-earned-money? You'll regret it if there is an update.

11. OasisFanboy macrumors newbie

OasisFanboy

I'm in the same boat Wowoah. Just started myself a new job, and thought what better way to celebrate than to dive into the Macbook world for the first time, now the upper end MB is 2 gig RAM, 160 HD and 2.4. But I do a little research and it seems an update might be coming soon. Hmmm!:confused:

12. blk88memorz macrumors newbie

blk88memorz

actually the black macbook has a 250GB HD.

13. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I think a Macbook update will happen later in the summer, just in time for all the kids going back to school. So it would really be close to your exam, and I'm sure you don't want to cut it that close, to something so important........

14. DCSMAC macrumors member

being updated later in the summer would certainly miss the boat on the back to school season...many colleges require students to buy the laptop before a certain date...mine is july 10th.

i think the MBP is going to be the one last thing at wwdc, then new macboks 2 weeks later.

15. rjflyn macrumors regular

The thing is they could announce new Macbooks but if the processors are not available they could do the shipping in 2 weeks thing or shipping on July 1 . So it being the 17th of May WWDC in 3 weeks roughly, thats 5 weeks from now. 2 weeks from the 9th is the 23rd of June and thats pushing the July deadline or worse July 1st totally screws him.

That said no time like the moment.

Rj

16. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

you should just buy a used macbook for now and see if you like os x if your a newbie at macs then when the updates come in you will see if you like the previous gen macbook or new macbook well if you like the new gen macbook sell the other one and buy a new one!:D

17. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Agree-buy one now and use it until the 2nd revision of the new one
    coming out. You know the first model will have issues. And the MB's
    resale value is pretty good.

18. manilikesmac macrumors newbie

I also think there will be an update, it will be steves "oh and another thing" on the last day or two.[/QUOTE]

I LOVE THOSE.
    hahahah.
    the mbp was announced like that.
    many other stuff.
    i just cant think off the top of my head.

19. manilikesmac macrumors newbie

what if hes talking about the white highend, not blackbook.
    i dont know. it could be:p

20. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Dude, I have exactly the same dilemma, but not for an exam, just for a pleasurable summer holiday :) lol

21. G8AMB macrumors member

G8AMB

What is the free ipod deal?

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Definitely July/August sounds the most likely. I have been wrong before but that looks like a sensible target date from this point.

23. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

during the summer, apple runs a promotion where they "give away" a free ipod with the purchase of a qualifying mac (i think everything but the mini) if you're in education. it's not really giving away for free; you buy the ipod, but apple gives you a $200 rebate.

24. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Latest “noise” suggests Apple will wait until July/August (when we got the new iMac last year) before they introduce the all new MacBook and MacBook Pro, It is likely the MacBook will get an LED screen and aluminium enclosure.

25. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

Wait till the end of Summer..... you will get the best pick of the litter.