New Macbook Pro 2010 or iMac 2.66 Core i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FrankySavvy, Mar 25, 2010.

  1. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2010
    Location:
    Long Island, NY
    #1
    I am without a computer now, I have been waiting since February for the new Macbook Pros to be updated....I am growing impatient like everyone else!

    But I need a computer, instead of using my school librarys crappy dell pc or my moms old macbook or using my iPod touch WiFi.

    I keep asking myself, am I that mobile, that I need a laptop, or can I justify getting an all in one workstation.

    I love MAC OSX, it is now physically impossible for me to buy a Windows based PC, without me growing ill.

    I really want a Macbook Pro, however I just cant justify the wait any longer, unless it comes out in April.

    I wont buy the old technology Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro, I would rather buy an up to date iMac.

    What do you guys think I should do?

    Should I wait till mid April to see if the new MBP will come out, and if it doesnt buy an iMac.

    or should I just wait til mid April, if it doesnt come out, buy a C2D MBP?

    or should I just say f**k it and get an iMac now?

    I know I sound like someone who cant make up there mind, which I am, just need some advice!

    Dont flame me, I am just so frustrated with this delay of the MBP releases.

    Thanks!
     
  2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    Location:
    Wherever I May Roam
    #2
    I got tired of waiting so I bought my uMBP last week. I ended up getting $150 educational credit so I figured...why not. I'll end up upgrading in a couple of years anyhow.
     
  3. SA22C macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Location:
    Top Gear Test Track.
    #3
    Exactly. Buy what you need, not what might be coming out. I got a nice discount on my 13 inch MBP and I love it. Much better than the Dell D620 it replaced.
     
  4. StEvEnGtR macrumors member

    StEvEnGtR

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2010
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #4
    Got the same problem as you and I suggest you wait out April.
    I think you just want a new machine and don't really need one now, right?
    If you're up for it, just wait for the new MBPs, that way you'll never
    hit yourself in the face for not waiting...?
     
  5. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2010
    Location:
    Long Island, NY
    #5
    is it fast enough? aren't you afraid of it being updated within a few weeks and its being like 15% faster at video encoding or everything? That is what I am nervous about.

    Will I even notice a substantial difference being the old C2D and the new i5 or i7? with normal task like browsing the web, looking at photos with minor editing, using iTunes or playing with iMovie?

    I am not using this computer to edit full length movies, or heavy Graphic Design or pro tools.

    I will use it for everyday consumer use like Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Office, Garageband and ocassionaly Photoshop or Illustrator.
     
  6. wschutz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #6
    There's no "new Macbook Pro 2010" as of today, neither there will be any till June (if lucky). Therefore, buy it if you need it or wait...
     
  7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #7
    I unfortunately need the mobility of a MBP and I since move arround so much and can not justify buying a desktop for either location I need a fast notebook too.
    If you can do without the mobility get the iMac. If you get one of the Quad Core Corei5 you get a machine that is significantly faster than an MBP released this year or the next. You can still add some cheaper thin & light hackintosh notebook.
     
  8. ccwoolf macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    #8
    I was in the exact same situation as you are in now. I opted for the i7 iMac and believe you me I do not regret this decision. By far the best computer I have ever used, not to mention the beautiful screen. And I will mention that every week that the new MBP's do not come out this iMac just gets that much better. If you don't think you will miss the portability (I am a student, and I don't miss it) then I say go ahead and get the iMac I don't think you will regret it.
     
  9. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2010
    Location:
    Long Island, NY
    #9
    I have also been reading about the new 27" Imac having screen issues, have they resolved this?

    EDIT: Also is there a difference between the Core 2 Duos in the iMacs and the ones in the current MBP,are the workstation ones faster?? faster even then mobile i5 or i7 processors?
     
  10. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

    SPNarwhal

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2009
    Location:
    illinois
    #10
    i would wait.
    i know your situation, it's really frustrating.
    it's like, oh i want one now so badly, but what if?
    but the feeling of regret would outweigh your happiness of having one now i'm sure.
    at least to me it would.

    i would just wait, you've already waited this long.
     
  11. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2010
    Location:
    Long Island, NY
    #11
    but to justify a wait till June, when I need something now?, Id rather by the Imac now, then get a new MBP in the fall or something, I'm just nervous about the issues with the current iMac's.

    If there was more confidence in April for an update to the MBP, I would wait it out, but June? it would be so stupid to wait that long!
     
  12. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2010
    Location:
    Long Island, NY
    #12
    so no problems with yellow tinge or screen issues?
     
  13. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #13
    In day to day computing, you won't notice a difference at all.
     
  14. eldo33 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    #14
    Why not buy both? It sounded like you going toward the iMac more than the MBP. If you need it now, then buy it..else wait till at least June. Nothing updating until then for sure.
     
  15. rob2809 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    #15
    I am in the same situation as you. I almost bought an imac 27" i5 but then i read that the imac problems(yellow screen, gigantic backlight bleeding etc) are not solved yet so wasnt sure about an imac anymore. I dont need to be mobile that often, though i need to be when i study at the uni library or work on my thesis. I also used my previous MBP in bed for browsing or watching movies & series so i think i would get annoyed more often then i think now when i am stuck at my desk with an imac.

    If you are going to wait until april, then you're also going to wait another month, and after that another month because you know that june is the most extreme due date.

    What you could do to bridge the gap between now and the release is to buy a mac mini (with student discount), and sell it after the MBP release with a minimal loss.
     
  16. hypermog macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
  17. duky macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #17
    lol! What up Steve

    In your shoes as well, I'm just sitting tight till new MBPs come and see what's in store. I'll make comparisons then--no point speculating. But then again, I'm moving soon and don't need a new system right now so badly so I have a couple of months to burn (and save up!)
     
  18. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

    Gabriel GR

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2009
    Location:
    Athens, Greece
  19. ccwoolf macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    #19
    I can obviously only speak for myself as the issues seem very real but I haven't noticed any issues at all on mine and I have had it for a month now.
     

Share This Page