Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schaufelmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Today UPS has delivered my new MacBook Pro 2020 that I purchased directly at Apple. The box was sealed, but during unboxing I noticed that the plastic wrap was a bit uneven and there were a few dirt particles trapped between the plastic wrap and the MacBook. Also, there's even a small dent in the body. Since I'm an Apple user since around 2000, I have purchased many Apple products in the past, but I haven't experienced that before (This isn't a refurbished device, it's new). Every device I have received from Apple in the past was in perfect mint condition. This one isn't.

I already sent Apple Support an email, but haven't received a response yet.

Has anybody else experienced something like that? I plan to use the device for confidential business stuff and need to be 100% sure that the device hasn't been tampered with - That's one reason I buy directly at Apple.

Update: Apple has confirmed that the device is new. It's not a returned device from another customer, so I decided to keep it. I guess that the damage happened when a technician replaced the standard keyboard from a new MacBook Pro by the custom keyboard that I selected during my order.

Last edited:

theshirlgirl

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
I noticed mine had a few smudges and fingerprints under the cellophane wrapper. Seemed totally new otherwise, but I've never experienced this before from Apple. Normally everything is pristine and appears "untouched" (even though it is of course).

Ultra3

macrumors member
May 4, 2020
Exact same thing happened to me, I returned it and got a refund. Whats the point of asking if it shipped from China? Don't they all, is that supposed to justify this happening? They are all made there incase people didn't know.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Return and purchase another.

Nothing like that when I receive mine. Even the outside shipping box was practically pristine save for a few lines from conveyor belt movement. Return and purchase another. You shouldn't have dents in the body. Sounds like it may have been a victim of hasty order fulfillment. Regardless, return and re-order.

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
Exact same thing happened to me, I returned it and got a refund. Whats the point of asking if it shipped from China? Don't they all, is that supposed to justify this happening? They are all made there incase people didn't know.
People had them shipped from Carlisle, PA, which is where they had me send my returned units.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017

Returned items are reportedly sometimes resold as new and then do not ship from China. I assume that this only happens for unopened boxes, but you never know.

quitepossibly

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
I guessing that it wasn't assembled with enough care and they probably dented it during assembly or packaging.

Schaufelmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Apple Support has now responded and has assured me that the device is new. It's not a returned device. The small dent and the dirt particles come from production and packaging. Good to know that this is "normal" today...

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Returned items are reportedly sometimes resold as new and then do not ship from China. I assume that this only happens for unopened boxes, but you never know.

People who ordered in the first few days of release are just getting their devices over the past week. Unless someone received their order and refused shipment, it’s very unlikely that a new 2020 MBP was resold already. It’s more likely that the machine is new, but it was damaged before being boxed for shipment.

OP, you should send it back anyway since you’re in your 14-day window. Don’t settle for a brand new damaged machine.

Schaufelmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
OP, you should send it back anyway since you’re in your 14-day window. Don’t settle for a brand new damaged machine.

Nah, I don't care about how it looks ... to me a MacBook just a tool, and I'm going to add my own dents and scratches anyway. Now I'm glad I have a replacement with a working keyboard (my previous three MacBooks all had malfunctioning butterfly keyboards), and I don't want to wait another two weeks.

Can you show a picture of the dent?

I have attached a photo. It's tiny, so I don't care. Just the fact that there is a dent at all made me sceptical.

Attachments

• dent.jpg
    dent.jpg
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 214

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Whats the point of asking if it shipped from China? Don't they all

No, they don't.
[automerge]1590754705[/automerge]
I have attached a photo. It's tiny, so I don't care. Just the fact that there is a dent at all made me sceptical.

It's your choice, of course, but I would not accept that on a new device that cost me a premium.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don' think that ding is indicative of prior usage, nor is a few dust particles, which could have entered while the laptop was prepped for shipping. You paid a lot of money for the machine, its not unreasonable to expect it to be defect-free (even if that is a small defect)

Reactions: KPOM and LeeW

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Nah, I don't care about how it looks ... to me a MacBook just a tool, and I'm going to add my own dents and scratches anyway. Now I'm glad I have a replacement with a working keyboard (my previous three MacBooks all had malfunctioning butterfly keyboards), and I don't want to wait another two weeks.

Could just be a dirty dent, but it looks like someone laid a soldering iron there. I couldn’t accept that, but it is smaller than I imagined. The main thing is if you’re happy then great! Enjoy your new MBP! I love mine!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Did they at least offer to replace it or compensate you? I’d have asked them to do an express repair on the new Mac (IOW, place a hold on your card, send you a new one, and then release the hold when you send the old one back). That way you would not be without a Mac for 2 weeks.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA

Would have went back in the box to be returned after about a minute.
Shouldn’t accept poor quality.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Apple Support has now responded and has assured me that the device is new. It's not a returned device. The small dent and the dirt particles come from production and packaging. Good to know that this is "normal" today...
small dent where? In the box or the actual computer itself?

Edit: nevermind. Saw the picture.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Just return it for a refund and order another one, so you get another 14 days when you receive the new one. Do not get a replacement

Yes, I agree. I'm sure that you won't have any problem with Apple.

By the way, you mentioned that you had sent them an e-mail but didn't get a response yet. I recommend initiating a chat with Apple Support - I've had really excellent results, usually the wait is very minimal and you have a live chat discussion with someone, explain your problem or question, and they have been super helpful every time I have done this.

[edit: sorry, I see now that they've responded to your e-mail, but I wouldn't leave it at that. Seriously, initiate a chat with them. You can return it in any case, even if you didn't have this issue.]

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
No way is that acceptable for a brand new product. Should be prestine out of the box regardless of whether it's a tool or a piece of art. There's a difference between you denting it and receiving it dented.

Reactions: lenos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.