New MacBook Pro: 4GB or 8GB RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scoobydoo99, Jun 13, 2011.

1. scoobydoo99 macrumors 6502a

As a longtime MacRumors member, this is my first thread to start! I've owned most iMac models, and several MacBook Pros (currently 2009 15".)

I'm ordering a new 15' MacBook Pro on Wednesday and need your advice:

Should I spring for the $180 (education pricing) to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB RAM? It seems that 8 might be a bit overkill right now (?) Probably the most intensive thing I do is play Starcraft II and transcode video files from ripped DVDs. Anyone think I will notice any benefit from 8GB? (And yes, I know $180 is about double the market price, but I don't mind paying for the convenience of having it preinstalled.)

Also, $90 for a high res screen? I won't be watching 1080p content, so can you think of other benefits I would notice?

Thanks for your comments.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it's not worth it unless you would prefer to have all apple stock parts in your computer. personally i upgraded my hdd from apple because i knew i would be using it for a while, it limits my problems in my mind, is preinstalled, and allows me to have the feeling of just being able to take it in for repairs without swapping anything out if need be, so to me that was worth it. i suppose it just "felt right," although it was financially ridiculous. in terms of price only, upgrading your ram as you mentioned is preferred to be aftermarket as you will save a lot of money doing it yourself. as far as the screen, it is preference and most do like the hi-res ag that the 15'' has the option of, but perhaps you should go check out a few models to see what it is you prefer in terms of a display. good luck.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The Hi-res screen is a must, but its not 1080p its 1680x1050 I believe, also why on earth would you pay 125% of retail for memory just for it to be preinstalled? You could buy 1600mhz ram and the high-res screen for JUST the cost of the $180 preinstalled 8GB memory.

4. scoobydoo99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

right, i know it's not 1080p, I just meant that as an example of content that would take advantage of better resolution. But if I'm watching movies at 780p, why get the hi res screen?

And yeah, like I said, I know about the RAM pricing. maybe I'm lazy (?) LOL. It's like a 90 buck difference, and it's not really worth my time ordering from another vendor, opening up the machine, etc etc. I dont care too much about the price, I'm just wondering if I even need it at all.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it's rare that 8gb of ram is actually necessary, it's just in a lot of computers because it helps out a bit and is a very cheap upgrade. money doesn't seem to be an issue for you, so just go for it imo.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Id get the ram and hi-res screen. The hi-res isnt JUST for movies lol, it gives you more desktop space.

7. scoobydoo99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point. And at only $90 seems like a good deal.

Now, after i complained about the glossy screens when they first came out, I think I might actually _prefer_ glossy over matte. Using it for 2 years has gotten me used to it! haha

8. kahkityoong, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

kahkityoong macrumors 6502

kahkityoong

I don't think any one spending the dollars on a MBP should have 4GB RAM given how cheap it is to upgrade to 8GB yourself. Going for Apple's 120GB solid state option is also a worthwhile upgrade and not bad value.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Lazy indeed, it takes a whopping 5 minutes to change the RAM, and it saves you $100. I don't know about you, but to me that's $1200 an hour of savings. Most definitely worth it.

10. khadgar2k1 macrumors member

i didnt think i was a heavy user with my new 2011 macbook pro but after i upgraded my ram from 4gb to 8gb, there is a very noticeable difference in terms of performance. i was getting beach balls fairly frequently on 4gb but havent experienced it yet since i upgraded.

i went with aftermarket ram (crucial). it was easy to install and costed me less than $80. ill be able to get some of that money back too when i sell off the stock ones that came with the computer

11. bniu macrumors 6502a

I went the refurb route and actually went to fry's and purchased an 8gb kit for $90 before the computer arrived. When I turned it on, it already had 8gb of ram in it :D. I guess Apple doesn't bother inventorying 8gb ram refurb models and sells them all as 4gb. If I were you, I'd go for a refurb, same one year warranty, same as new, same 14 day return privileges and you may just get lucky and get more ram for free.

12. AMacbook macrumors member

Did it decrease Battery Life?

13. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

14. scoobydoo99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, bniu - that's a useful tip!

15. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I went with 8gb upgrade since it was cheap ($60). Do it yourself and save the money. The savings can be applied to a SSD or bigger HDD.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

17. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Are there any disadvantages in having too much ram? I doubt i'll use 8gb and barely reach 4gb. Is it possible that it'll slow down the computer?

18. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

My MBP came with 4 gig, I purchased an 8 gig kit online which was cheaper than upgrading from 4 to 8 from Apple.

19. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Not on your life. :)

20. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Keep your edu price discount and buy the RAM elsewhere, at much higher frequency and half Apple's price. I would upgrade it, it's easy and it's the most bang-for-the-buck upgrade you can do-- RAM is very cheap.

21. Kleptomaniac macrumors newbie

I would say by next year we will see 8GB of RAM being much more common as at the moment RAM prices are quite low. So yes go for 8GB if you want but whatever you do DO NOT BUY IT FROM APPLE!!

22. scrapple macrumors regular

scrapple

get 8gig if you want to use parallels or vmware....