New macbook pro already at the genius bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gmurph1818, Mar 9, 2010.

1. gmurph1818 macrumors member

So I found a good deal on a month old macbook pro 15" on craigslist for 900. Bought it last week and the airport card went out already. They had the part in stock at the genious bar here at Vintage fair mall in modesto. Has anyone else had this problem in a new macbook? They said the turnaround time was 3-5 days. Just was curious to see if this is a rare problem or a big issue?

2. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Things happen, I havent seen a lot of issues with the APCs. Just keep an eye on it.

Itll probably never go back again, or itll go in so much, theyll replace it :)

3. gmurph1818 thread starter macrumors member

yeah im not complaining since I got it for such a good price. I would be pretty pissed if I paid the original 1699 and it already gave out.

4. gmurph1818 thread starter macrumors member

wow I have a crazy update for you guys. So I got a call from the genious bar yesterday to pick up my macbook. I head on down there after work and im met by the police who said that I purchased a stolen macbook pro :eek:. I was interrogated for over a hour and basically im out $900. LEARNED MY DAMN LESSON FROM CRAIGSLIST. Worse part of it the cops where a-holes and acted like I stole it. Just beware of craigslist thats for damn sure its my stupid mistake I should have known better.

5. clindner macrumors regular

Ouch! That would be my luck as well, so I haven't purchased from craigslist.

I also wonder about the "new in box" deals that people get. I wonder why they are selling cheaply if the box has never been opened.

6. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

7. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

thats a bummer man

This is why I never buy on craigslist. Between the broken stuff and stolen stuff and hookers it's such a shady website. :(

At least we know apple is up on stolen gear, piece of mind for the rest of us I guess.

8. gmurph1818 thread starter macrumors member

actually it is kinda funny here i am bragging about getting a good deal and then almost get arrested haha. I contacted the person and the girl admitted it was stolen and she will pay me back as long as I dont give the police all her information

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Sympathies.

I actually had a good CL experience with my first MBP. My "bargain" wasn't quite as spectacular as yours seemed to be, but then again the machine had a carefully-used look to it and the seller had all the original packaging etc. My antennas were up, but the scene seemed legitimate. It helped that the deal was good but not too-good-to-be-true.

Is there any hope that the cops might, with your help, find the guy who sold you the stolen machine, and maybe help you get at least part of your $900 back?

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Get the money THEN give the cops all the information!

11. clindner macrumors regular

Ooh, that's a good angle. So if you buy from craigslist, make sure you get contact info from the seller so you can rat them out.

Be sure you don't go alone to collect your money back! She might not be alone either.

12. poblack macrumors regular

I recently had a bad experience trying to buy a macbook pro on Criagslist. To make a long story short, this guy tried to sell me a stolen macbook. He didn't even know the password to log into the machine so I could test it. Very shady indeed. Dude was acting very nervous and sketchy. He then left to get another macbook out of is car and never came back.

Stay away from Craigslist when buying electronics. It's either a scam where some guy in Nigeria wants you to wire him money, the stuff is stolen, or it's broken.

13. gmurph1818 thread starter macrumors member

yeah I have all her info and my girlfriend got screwed a year ago on a iphone on craigslist so ever since then we write down the license plate numbers if i buy anything. So basically I told her she better pay me asap or she is screwed. Seemed like a normal girl too not shady looking at all. I was just so damn excited to have my first really really good macbook now I have nothing lol.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i would get the money back and THEN give all the information to the police

15. clindner macrumors regular

You can tell that the merchandise is legitimate when the seller expects to get WAY too much for it!

16. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Do you have any details about the CL guy? Phone number, car, address, emails? I would take him to small claims to get your $900 back.

EDIT: Oops, answered above.

17. gmurph1818 thread starter macrumors member

I have their phone number, emails they sent, texts they sent, and license plate number. Im emailing back and forth with her as we speak. She says she is going to pay me but you know how that goes.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Agreed! The OP was greatly inconvenienced, not to mention how embarrassing the situation is. He's lured back to the Apple store to pick up his Macbook and the cops are there waiting for him. As soon as you get your money back OP, give the cops the Craigstlist seller's info. She tried to hustle you.

19. gmurph1818 thread starter macrumors member

yeah thats probably what I will do. I guess I have a reason now to wait for the macbook pro refresh hah

20. clindner macrumors regular

Didn't the police ask you for contact info on the person you purchased from?

21. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

So you really thought someone was selling a $1700 laptop thats only a month old for $900 legitimately? You have to had figured that there was either something wrong with it or it was stolen. People aren't just giving stuff away at huge losses out there lol.

22. gmurph1818 thread starter macrumors member

yes they asked me but I didnt have it all on me I mean I had the texts but not the emails and license plate number. They were more interested in interrogating me than asking about the person I bought it from. Wouldnt even give me a chance to get on my personal email to show them. Just gave me the bull that if his investigation points to me I will be arresested. Police could care less about me getting my money back he basically told me oh well about the money.

23. gmurph1818 thread starter macrumors member

I met up with them not really planning to buy because it was too good to be true but then I seen it and wanted it bad. She seemed like a nice girl but like I said before I shoulda known better.

24. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

If you're actually going to meet back up with this person for a refund, I'd bring at least one friend and we'd both be armed. Who knows if this person just wants to shut you up to the cops or what.

25. 7even macrumors 6502a

Haha exactly. If it's cheap on Craigslist, you really should watch out...