Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
Hi,

Looking for a little bit of advice. New 15 inch MacBook Pro has just been delivered a custom order because I bumped the drive to 1TB. In my excitement I didn't check the box until while UPS were still at the door. The UPS box is damaged on the corner and the MBP box is also damaged inside. I haven't opened it yet, but I'm a bit worried it may have taken a big knock.

I called Apple and they said I have 14 days with the open box policy to try it. Would you push for a replacement straight away? Or open it up and see how it runs?

Thanks

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If the MBP shows no physical damage and isn't bent or something, I wouldn't worry about it.

How "damaged" are the boxes?

Reactions: happyslayer

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
I would open it up and see how it runs. Only real moving part of note is the fan. Power it up and stress test it with some CPU/GPU benchmarks.

Reactions: SDColorado

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
The boxes can take quite a bit of punishment - I would open it and check for damage.

Pictures would help for us to offer more advice.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

leanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
Here's some pics. Am I being Paranoid?

IMG_8554.jpg
IMG_8555.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is one area where I wished Apple would use more packaging and material.
I bought a Razer (and returned it), and it was in two boxes along with styrofoam to protect the laptop. If that sort of thing happened to that box, the inside most area would have been untouched.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
Ah that should be fine. Inside that brown box there is another box protected with polystyrene bumpers. Then inside that inner box is the actual laptop and that has a little more padding too. Pretty sure you'll be good.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
when did bill gates start working as a delivery person for UPS?
i hope your MBP is undamaged and works for many years

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I would record the entire unboxing...if the mac is dmg also, to have some kind of proof

leanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
I would record the entire unboxing...if the mac is dmg also, to have some kind of proof

Great idea!
[doublepost=1534164851][/doublepost]Is it reasonable to say that I would know straight away if the internals had been damaged in some way? The last MBP I bought in 2012 was dead on arrival, I guess that's why I'm being so touchy about this one and these current MBP's are not known for their reliability even without a drop.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
based on your pics...your mac will be perfectly fine, maybe the mac original box to have little signs...but the mac 99% will be fine
Waiting your pics/video/result :)
[doublepost=1534165095][/doublepost]Edit, after you power/set up your mac, can you run midi audio to tell us your defaults ?

Last edited:
Reactions: leanda

leanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
based on your pics...your mac will be perfectly fine, maybe the mac original box to have little signs...but the mac 99% will be fine
Waiting your pics/video/result :)
[doublepost=1534165095][/doublepost]Edit, after you power/set up your mac, can you run midi audio to tell us your defaults ?

How do I run midi audio?

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I would make sure that Apple knows about it and has it on record before opening the box. Otherwise you might run into trouble if you then have to return it. It's probably going to be okay, but unless I really needed that new MacBook now now now, perhaps because my old one died or something, I would return it out of principle. You never know if the bump has weakened something inside the machine, causing it to fail at some point down the line.

leanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
I would make sure that Apple knows about it and has it on record before opening the box. Otherwise you might run into trouble if you then have to return it. It's probably going to be okay, but unless I really needed that new MacBook now now now, perhaps because my old one died or something, I would return it out of principle. You never know if the bump has weakened something inside the machine, causing it to fail at some point down the line.

Yup, I have it on record.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
How do I stress test BTW?

What I mean is to download a benchmarking tool like CB15 and just keep running it back to back for 5 times say to make the machine heat up and the fans spin harder. Not really "stress testing" it, but enough to determine if the fans re running ok!

But from the pictures you posted I'd say everthgin is grand!

Reactions: leanda

leanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
Ok, update! I'm returning it, Apple said they would expedite getting a new one to me within 2-3 days so I figured I might as well have some patience and wait.

Reactions: Petetastic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.