New Macbook Pro Not So New?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AdamCanada, Jul 22, 2009.

1. AdamCanada macrumors newbie

I just received my new macbook pro 2 days ago and I just downloaded coconut battery. It says that I have charged my mac 10 times and that my mac is 3 weeks old. This just made me wonder if my mac is in anyway not completely new.

Also I had already downloaded SMART Utility and it said that my HDD has started/stopped over 500 times and had a load cycle count in the 6000s. And while it seems like my count has increased a lot in about 6-8 hours (almost 500 cycles) there is not way that the count was that high after just one day of use.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the process that a mac would go through in the factory that may be the reason for these numbers?

Also what is a normal load cycle count per day or hour of a HDD?

Thanks

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Charges on batteries vary from user to user. I think everyone here had got their MacBook's with charges already on them because they run a few tests being shipped out and I think this would explain the cycles on the HDD as well which shouldn't be that big of a concern anyway because that number is pretty negligible in terms of what it can go through in a lifetime. No one (or very rare) gets a computer that comes fresh off the line with "0 stats".

3. AdamCanada thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. But do you know how many load cycles the drive should do an hour?

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

Got mine yesterday. 7 weeks old and 0 cycles.

5. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Mine was 4 weeks old with 0 cycles on arrival

6. cdaugherty macrumors newbie

Got mine last Wed, MBP 17 - 0 Cycles, 6 Weeks old

7. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I wouldn't let it worry you.

On a side note, my name is Adam and I'm from Canada. Just thought your name was funny.

8. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

When i had mine, it was 1 week old 0 cycles..

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Don't let it worry you, but you can complain to Apple and have it replaced without too much issue.

10. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

I've had plenty of new Macs, and all of them came with 0 cycles. I doubt that Apple has the resources to test every (or even many) batteries before shipping them.

11. theJamie macrumors member

Well, I'm not at my mac (using a iPod touch) but mine came out a being 7 weeks old. I can't remember the cycles off the top of my head. But, I'm guessing that Apple would test different computers before shipping them off for quality control. If it really bothers you, try returning it.

12. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

If the rest of the computer is satisfactroy (LCD and build), I'd recommend that you just keep it. 10 cycles is absolutely nothing for 1,000 cycle capacity battery.

13. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It was probably randomly tested. That means it has less chance of failing in the first few weeks. A new one could die the second day you have it like mine did, or it might have some other slight defect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

14. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

When I got mine It was 3 weeks old and had 0 Cycles. 7 Months later I have 103 cycles.

15. RED™ macrumors regular

RED™

I got mine shipped with 8 weeks and 2 cycles, I didn't worry too much about it ;)

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never even looked at how many cycles my battery had when I got it, heck except for this thread I have not looked at it.

btw, my late 08 unibody MBP has 7 cycles under its belt.

If it bothers you, go to back the apple store and request a new unit.

17. Trexznl macrumors member

Honestly, there's no need at all to be anal about it I guess.

I purchased my UMBCE in February, and according to Coconut battery it's age was 3 months and it's cycle count was at about seven to eight if I recall correctly.

It had been laying about in the "Apple Store" (We haven't got "real" Apple Stores here in The Netherlands) for months, since just after the release..

If it looks new, and it works fine, just go and enjoy it. :)

18. Sleepy Dog macrumors member

When I got mine it was 2 months old and 0 cycles.

19. mrplough macrumors member

exactly the same 8 weeks 0 cycles, also from Canada,
    my as long as its the new one with 0 cycles meh

20. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

My newest Mac notebook MBA 2.13 had one cycle. My last MBP had nine on it. My last MBA had zero. My MB had five. All were otherwise new and perfect.

I simply do not or would not believe it means anything. If the Mac is beautiful otherwise, keep it. Don't let a battery cycle count which probably isn't even accurate make you return an otherwise immaculate MBP.

Cheers and congrats.

21. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Coconut Battery says my 17" Unibody MBP is 128 MONTHS old. But it came with 0 cycles. For the fail?

22. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

23. gl4662 macrumors member

just got my 13" MBP 3 weeks old and 0 cycles!

24. MBP13Guy25 macrumors newbie

6 weeks, 4 cycles.... :S

This morning I went to my local apple store to get an exchange of the macbook pro 13 I had yesterday cos it was a defective item..so they gave me a "new one". I downloaded coconutbattery, it tells me it's 6 weeks old and it's already had 4 cycles. I'm running calibration right now. Should I worry about it? 4 cycles....or am I just being too uptight about it? Can apple replace it free since it's had 4 cycle? Or can I run a reinstallation of OSX CD? LOL.

25. McMoronic macrumors member

I'd say you have the right to be choosy and go get a new one. The load cycles and start/stop data seems pretty consistent, its just the battery cycles that can be cause of worry since 10 charge cycles don't just magically happen. Good luck.