New Macbook Pro on Ebay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seb.nkl, Aug 16, 2009.

1. seb.nkl macrumors newbie

Hi guys,I'm new here on the forums,and I'm planning to buy a new 15" MBP for college.I was searching on ebay and I noticed a seller,'Electronic King inc' who sells new MBPs at a lower price than on the apple store,and offers free worldwide shipping.He has 3500+ positive feedback and seems to be an experienced seller of apple products.I live in Mauritius, which is a small island near Madagascar for those who don't know :), and apple products here are a bit more expensive than in the US,but with the tax it isnt worth it :S So, what are your views on buying NEW macbook pros on ebay? is the warranty still valid after doing so?and has anyone by chance already tried this particular seller?

Thanks a lot
    Seb

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-Apple-Macboo...tops?hash=item5882aeb6ee&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Given that feedback, I'd say you are fine. The only sorta questionable things is when sellers offer thousands of pre-installed software, which is obviously pirated.

3. highertechnology macrumors 6502

That seller is reputable. If you look around you can find sellers that are just as trustworthy with even less prices. Also, if you intend on using buy it now make sure you go through "bing cashback" and get an additional 8% rebate.

I did the above and used ebates 2% rebate and got my new MB985LL/A for less than 1600 shipped.

4. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

5. seb.nkl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx!!But how do you use the rebate??I searched 'apple macbook pro' on bing put I haven't seen any cashback logo :S

6. lathode macrumors member

Search 'wii'

7. Sponsi macrumors member

Sponsi

Refer to cashbackr.com for additional keywords and current discount %.

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

9. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I bought the same on on refurb, was 1449.00 and included 8G of ram it will be here tomorrow, try the refurb store and have someone ship it to you.

10. kretek macrumors member

Reputable Seller

Bought the latest 17" uMBP from this seller.

Great plus was having it shipped out to South Africa using Fedex Priority which is included in the selling price.

11. highertechnology macrumors 6502

Go to this link and sign up for an account.
    https://cashbackaccount.bing.com/cashback/welcome.aspx

Then go to this link and enter macbook pro in the search field
    http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=macbook+pro&go=&form=QBRE&scope=cashback

Then click on the ebay link on the right side of the screen.

Either search the results or enter the item number of the cheapest buy it now MBP model that you desire and make sure you see the cashback logos as you proceed. It will be on top of the eBay page. The cashback will take up to 60 days but sometimes immediate.

This is the least expensive I could find from a power seller
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-MacBook-P...tops?hash=item4399a72964&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It would be 2149 with free shipping. Total after cashback is 1949 with the $200 bing cashback max.

12. seb.nkl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for the advice!!However I can choose between buying the MBP now or wait till the end of the year, and then buy it.Are there any major updates coming up in November?
    ty

13. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

14. seb.nkl thread starter macrumors newbie

Another ebay seller

There's another ebay seller macman812 who,I guess, is the only one providing 7200rpm harddrives on 15'' MBP,offering worldwide shipping(Which is quite expensive),apple care AND 'extras' (do you think these are pirated?)
    Has anyone had experience buying a MBP from this particular seller?

'This will include an applecare plan which includes 3 years of tech support and physical warranty directly from Apple.
    This can come with up to 8GB of memory and/or a remote (apple no longer ships their computers with remotes) and can come with a larger and/or faster hard drive. If you are interested in any of these upgrades, please email me for pricing.
    This can ship with great extras at no extra charge,please email me for details.'

I really want a 7200 rpm hard drive;but I have the impression that this 'upgrade' is 'homemade'; but maybe I'm wrong.

Apple products in authorised resellers here in Mauritius ar too expensive so I need your advice wether or not I should go for it.

Thank you
    Sebastien.

15. darkdream macrumors member

you can get it cheaper with other discounts...

16. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

All upgrades are "homemade" unless you get one customized to order from Apple.

And why the fixation on a 7200rpm drive vs 5400? You won't be able to tell the difference.

17. seb.nkl thread starter macrumors newbie

So there's no big difference between 7200 rpm and 5400 rpm in terms of speed and perfomance?
    If it is 'homemade' it should mean that the warranty is void right?

18. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

why not use craigslist?
    i got my 17" for 2,200
    and that was before the price drop.

it's not stolen either.

or at least it isn't in the files as stolen.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well macman812 has an account on MR and there is a thread on the AppleCare purchased on ebay and he appears to be one of the sellers. There is some feedback in there, but I can't recall what it said.

20. ///M5 macrumors 6502

Bought my uMBP 17" and MBA Rev. B from this seller. You can go ahead and buy a laptop from him.

EDIT: from Electornics-King-Inc