New MacBook Pro or...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dave Meadows, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

I currently have a 15" MacBook Pro (Late 2013) that I bought March 2015. I'm now thinking of buying the new MacBook Pro, but the 13" as just can't afford the 15".

I just use for web browsing, email and some word processing.

What I want to know is, New MacBook Pro or not? Do you think i'd miss the 15"? Has anyone gone from a 15" to a 13"?

Hey guys, do you think it's worth me upgrading? Any advice?

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Why do you want to "upgrade"? In some ways your 15" is better than the new 13", in processors and screen space. The main advantage of the new 13" is portability. Also has a nicer screen in some ways, but for what you're using it for, that probably won't matter.

3. Zobrien macrumors member

Zobrien

Save your money, your current MBP is plenty good enough for what you do plus more... Upgrading just to have a newer laptop is a waste unless you have an obvious need.

4. Dave Meadows thread starter macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Yeah, well, I guess that's why I ask the question. It's probably not logical it's just that the new Pro's look so good! Love the new touch bar and the new keys (although I've not tried them yet)

It's just a balance in that what I can get for my 15" now and upgrade and what it'll be in a year or so's time?

I'm "stuck". Don't know what to do....
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2017 ---
    Thanks. I KNOW this makes sense....

5. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

If you have the money and want to upgrade, go ahead. You can certainly sell your current MBP for good money and you will be very happy with the new MBP.

Given your use profile you certainly don't need to upgrade... but no one can argue it isn't "nice to have" a new toy. If you are a professional and travel a lot, it will certainly impress clients and colleagues... so why not ?

6. Zobrien macrumors member

Zobrien

Plus, there are a lot of kinks in this year model.. If you are set on upgrading, id at least wait until they work these out with the newer gen.. it's hard not to go out and purchase a brand new beautiful laptop, but you'll be happy in the future if you hold out, and that's coming from someone who likes to have the newest and best.

7. Dave Meadows thread starter macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Thanks for your great advice. You're perfectly right. I think a lot of what I'm thinking of is that I've just got a new credit card that has 30 months interest free and so think it'd be good to buy with this.

I've heard that Apple are planning on updated MacBook Pro's later this year anyhow?

8. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I went from a 15" to a 13" with the idea that I would sell my 15". I never really got along with the 13" and rarely used it. That also meant that I never sold the 15" as I had intended. I recently purchased a new 15" and my wife interited the other. She didn't want the 13" either. That one is going up for sale.

9. Dave Meadows thread starter macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Just out of interest how old is your "old" 15"?

10. vrBrew Suspended

vrBrew

15 inch is the minimum I would use. I would actually prefer a modern lightweight 17 inch MBP. When I had a 17 I never even thought about using an external monitor with it. After the 17 disappeared and I was left with the 15 was the first time I stated using an external monitor.

11. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

I don't want to get into your personal finances, but that sounds like a dangerous trap. You just got a (relatively) new laptop two years ago, if it's held up anywhere close to my five-year-old MBP you should be more than fine for the use you described. Definitely long enough until the fall when the new pros will be announced.

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Keep the 15". Better machine than the new one with touchbar, and a lot more capable than any of the 13" models.

Save the credit card for a true emergency. If you can't pay for a laptop (or most other things) with cash, you shouldn't be buying one.

13. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Yeah, the dimmer screen, lower contrast, smaller color space, worse speakers, slower dGPU, slower SSD, half the external monitor support, no Touch ID, running hotter and louder, and being bigger and heavier are much better!

14. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

The new Touch Bar machines are so nice that I ended up with three of them!

My 8 month old 15" rMBP felt clunky by comparison, more like it was 5 years older,

But logically, with your usage envelope, you could wait two more years (cycles) easily and have something even better. There's always a new toy around the corner. For my workflow, these new machines are worth it just for the brighter screens and better keyboards, but you should wait at least one more cycle.

Use the credit card for something soul-expanding...like a new pair of good speakers or maybe a TV for some cool evenings of cinema!

R

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You just bought the computer last year, I'd keep it a bit longer, even though its a 2013 model.

I do think you'll notice the difference in size going from a 15" to a 13".

16. jerryk macrumors 68020

For web browsing, email, and word processing the 13" should be just fine. If a bit slower.

17. Dave Meadows thread starter macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Thanks for all your replies guys, you've been a great help. I've almost (almost) made my mind up to hold on and carry on with my 15" MacBook Pro which still is, a fantastic laptop. Also, makes sense not getting into debt. If I want a new MBP I should save up and buy one for cash.

18. Zobrien macrumors member

Zobrien

You went from "Dave Meadows" to "Dave Ramsey", debt is a terrible thing for sure. Smart decision making by you, you won't regret the feeling of being debt-free.

19. Dave Meadows thread starter macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Btw, Dave Ramsey?

20. Zobrien macrumors member

Zobrien

Look him up, made millions in housing market haha. He gives a ton of advice to people, and one of his sayings is save up and pay cash for things you want instead of putting it on the credit card. My whole highschool finance class is based around his videos.

21. Dave Meadows thread starter macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Ok. Will do. Thanks.

22. Dave Meadows thread starter macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Loads of Dave Ramsey books. Anyone in particular you'd recommend?

23. Zobrien macrumors member

Zobrien

Ours are videos, but you might be able to find a book about it. Ours is called the five foundations, give me a sec to check on it
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2017 ---
    https://www.christianbook.com/found...-homeschool-new-edition/dave-ramsey/pd/948187
    This is the one we use in school, tons of activities to do. Actually very enjoyable, even to high school students. I'm sure you can find it somewhere free or cheaper, but it is definitely worth it. Tons of insight for everyone regardless of age.

24. Dave Meadows thread starter macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Right, that's it. Decision made. I've decided to keep hold of my Late 2013 MacBook Pro. Thanks for all your advice. It's in perfect condition and it suits my needs. Yes, it'd be nice to get a new MacBook Pro but man are they expansive and I've heard of problems with them. They should be settled in a couple of years and although I won't get as much for this I'll have some time to save up.

Now, going forward. Can any of you recommend any ways I can improve my machine? I mean, what can I upgrade? I've been looking at mini drive storage expansion micro SD. Are these any good? Any recommendations? Any other suggestions to get the best out of this machine? Thanks.

25. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Don't be put off with the tales of problems with the new ones. You read these forums and all the models/years have problems. The Macbook Pro I have personally had the most issues with is the Late 2013 13". Prior to that a 2009 15". About the only thing I can conclude from any of that is that they all have a certain sample size of units that will have problems and sometimes you are lucky and sometimes you are not.

As for your other reasons, if you have a notebook that is in good condition and already meeting your needs, why upgrade? My wife inherited my old 15". I offered to buy her a brand new one, but her needs are more minimal and it does everything she wants it to do, so she declined and is happy with that one.

As for the Micro SD cards, I was thinking about a Transcend JetDrive Lite for my 13", before I decided to make the move to the 2016 15". But, because I did upgrade to the 2016 without purchasing one, I am afraid I can't give any real world review of it. Edit: I linked to the one for the 13", but they also have models for the 2013 15" as well. That would be the JetDrive Lite 360.