New macbook pro Overclocked to 3.15Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by b348xyx, Mar 14, 2009.

1. b348xyx macrumors member

hey thought i will share my macbook pro benchmark

2.66ghz @ 3.15ghz
    GPU overclocked / DDR3 overclocked

[​IMG]

qustion which was asked

Well macbook uses a 730i M/B made by nvidia and 6.03_nvidia_system_tools unlock overclocking settings...

so you can change FSB speed... which auto clock memory...

So CPU @ 3150mhz = 490mhz overclocked per core Ram = 1066mhz now at 1260mhz (trying to hit 3.2ghz on cpu.... )

also the nvidia tool allow GPU overclocking so i get around 1200 more marks overclocked and make big diff in games...

also people say about temp will get to high..... cpu hit around 80c ... and gpu around 95c

but i was playing world of warcraft max settings with shadows all day yesterday with no problems

hope that helps...

PS using modded drivers... 185.20 laptop gpu ini file...

2. lscangus macrumors 6502

My 17 inches 2.66Ghz is not stable at 3.15, while it is perfect at 3.12. Have u stress tested your CPU?

I wonder if anyone can make a FSB overclock tool in OSX?

Angus

3. RKpro macrumors 6502

4. MrZebra macrumors regular

I'm not sure it's a good idea. Apple notebooks gets majorly hot the way they are due to their form factor, I suppose that pushing the boundaries power-wise is very dangerous in a laptop let alone a macbook pro.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I give you two weeks before your 9600M graphics card burns out and you get the green lines of death.

6. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Have not overclocked, but noticed the new 17MBP unibody is surprisingly cool. In fact, it´s easily the least heat developing laptop I ever used, including when gaming like a madman

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Green lines =/= GPU death. It can be caused by a defective monitor also.

Furthermore, the GPU is still within the allowed temp limit. I don't think it will go bad that quickly. My CPU/GPU are almost always 80 deg C or higher on average use with my work and thats running 24/7 with an occasional standby.

This has been going on for more than 2 weeks.

8. b348xyx thread starter macrumors member

i have done a loop 3 times of CPU test on 3dmark06

was fine....

and played world of warcraft all day on it and stayed fine

also have encoded some video which max out the cpu

9. b348xyx thread starter macrumors member

people worry about temp to much...

the GPU and CPU are very within the limit :)

also .... the whole case on the macbook pro helps it cool :p

10. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Anyone know how high the T9800 (the 2.93) can overclock?

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

They do worry too much. They think anything over 80 deg C is bad for the laptop especially when we have a range of up to 100-105 Deg C. Thats the specified limit, not some random number we pulled outta our @$$.

Furthermore, the bad part about this overclock is that it only works in Windows. The change isn't carried over to OSX.

I have overclocked my MacBook before. However, due to the FSB limitations, I was only able to hit 2.66GHz before system became unstable.

12. b348xyx thread starter macrumors member

Yes wish nvidia had software for mac OSX side.... but windows gaming performace best still atm... hope snow lepard will change that

13. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

14. lscangus macrumors 6502

You have the 15inches, thats probably the reason.

But i think technically, overclocking in OSX is possible. Coolbook is able to access the voltage settings of the 9400m. I wonder if it is possible for people to access the FSB settings on these MBP. And also, overclocking GPU will be nice as well

15. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

You people are so naive about overclocking. This computer I'm using has been overclocked for three years and it's still fine.

He hasn't even surpassed the temp limits. Therefore, it won't "burn out in two weeks."

Some people only listen to the cons about overclocking, and half the times, they haven't even tried it themselves.

If heat is such a problem, turn the damn fans on. The new unibody Macbook Pro works like a heatsink anyways, so yeah, all should be well...

16. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

So you overclocked it in Windows, but when you boot back into OSX will the CPU still be overclocked?

17. lscangus macrumors 6502

Sadly no. I think we have to organize a petition to request people to make a FSB control software under OSX!

today we got the OC software for the GMA950, we need one for 9400 and 9600!

18. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

Overclocking will suck up some battery juice, so you 17" inchers would benefit the most.

19. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

Also, not that UNDERclocking and lowering voltage than stock also INCREASES battery life. Depending on what you're doing, it can be relatively significant.

20. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Or just disable one of the CPU cores in OSX. Get an extra 30+ minutes.

21. lscangus macrumors 6502

how can you do that?

With a utility which can adjust voltage and FSB, will actually brighten things up a lot. like the overdrive in i7. 3.1ghz during rendering!

Anyone knows any developer?

22. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Share some tricks on doing this? :p I'm trying to get the most battery life out of my 15" and right now I get around 4 hours.

23. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

ayeying, you raise a valid point. I've seen about 45-50 extra minutes in windows for disabling a core, and slightly raising one of the core values.

Pair that up with 4gb of ram, and you would still have a fast machine that lasts just a little longer. This would be beneficial when one is watching a movie on the airplane, or something of that nature.

The computer won't lag THAT much at all with one core unless doing something CPU intensive. Web browsing, and word processing is NOT cpu intensive.

24. lscangus macrumors 6502

How to disable the core?