Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acribb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
I left my new i7 MBP on the charger last night. I have not unplugged it. I am now doing some intensive video processing, and the battery is at 74%, and it has not started to charge off the plugged in charger yet. There are no indicator lights lit on the magsafe, neither orange or green.

At what point will it start charging the battery again?

Is this normal?

I am sure that if I unplug it and then plug it back in, it will start charging, but I don't feel I should have to do that.....

**Edit** I unplugged it and plugged it back in at the magsafe tip and it still wouldn't charge. I had to actually unplug it from the wall, and then plug it back in to get it to charge. Have any of you seen this behavior before?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
It should start charging the minute the power adapter is plugged in.

Does a green or orange light show up on the plug?

Is the adapter plugged into a working outlet?

Is the plug seated correctly on the MBP?

And what happens if you disconnect and connect the plug?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
make sure it's snapped properly in. I also thought the magsafe wasn't charging, but it was just not seated properly

acribb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Let me clarify what happened.

Charger was plugged in last night before I went to bed. The magsafe tip indicated orange that it was charging. It was charging.

Woke up this morning. Brightened the screen up (the computer will not dim it's screen when Aperture 3 is running for some reason), and the battery was at 95% or so. The magsafe tip was not orange or green. Everything was the same as before, it just wasn't charging.

I let the battery run down to 72% or so, leaving it plugged in, and then finally I removed the magsafe tip from the computer and then plugged it back in. It still would not charge- there was no orange light showing it should be charging and it was not charging.

Next I unplugged the physical plug from the wall and then plugged it back in. It started charging.

I guess I will just have to monitor this in the future- If my macbook pro is plugged in, I expect it to be running off of AC power at all times.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Let me clarify what happened.

Charger was plugged in last night before I went to bed. The magsafe tip indicated orange that it was charging. It was charging.

Woke up this morning. Brightened the screen up (the computer will not dim it's screen when Aperture 3 is running for some reason), and the battery was at 95% or so. The magsafe tip was not orange or green. Everything was the same as before, it just wasn't charging.

I let the battery run down to 72% or so, leaving it plugged in, and then finally I removed the magsafe tip from the computer and then plugged it back in. It still would not charge- there was no orange light showing it should be charging and it was not charging.

Next I unplugged the physical plug from the wall and then plugged it back in. It started charging.

I guess I will just have to monitor this in the future- If my macbook pro is plugged in, I expect it to be running off of AC power at all times.

That is not right. Either you have a faulty charger and should have it replaced by Apple or your wall socket has an intermittent connection. When you plug your charger into the mbp the light will either be amber or green. If it is off... that means no power is getting through the charger.

acribb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Just curiuos, but is the Magsafe connector sitting flush in the recepticle on the side of your MBP?

Yes.

It's just strange because it was plugged in and charging, the night before.

Then I went to bed and dimmed the screen down to black manually since the display sleep wasn't working at the time.

Then I woke up and brightened the screen so I could see it. I can only assume at that time that the battery was fully charged. I didn't notice if the light was even lit on the magsafe tip.

That's when I noticed the battery indicator at the top didn't say 'Charged' or 'Charging'. Then I looked a the magsafe tip and it did not have an indicator light lit. Then I figured it would just start charging automatically again when the battery hit 95%, then 90%, then 70%, but it never did start charging.

Then I unplugged the tip from the computer and then plugged it back in. Nada. No charging, no indicator light lit.

Only when I unplugged it from the socket at the wall and then plugged it back in did it start charging.

I have never had an issue with the wall socket, EVER.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If it happens again and you're sure the connector is properly seated, I would take the AC adapter back and get it exchanged for a new one.

As long as the magsafe is plugged into the mac and plugged into the wall outlet, there should always be an LED on the connector, either amber or green. Amber = battery is charging, and Green = Battery is not charging but the adapter is supplying power to the MacBook Pro. If there's no light, then there's no power, and the MBP is on battery power because something somewhere has has either disconnected or has stopped working.

You might also want to make sure the adapter itself isn't overheating for some reason, which might cause it to shut itself off.

= bluntman =

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yes.

It's just strange because it was plugged in and charging, the night before.

Then I went to bed and dimmed the screen down to black manually since the display sleep wasn't working at the time.

Then I woke up and brightened the screen so I could see it. I can only assume at that time that the battery was fully charged. I didn't notice if the light was even lit on the magsafe tip.

That's when I noticed the battery indicator at the top didn't say 'Charged' or 'Charging'. Then I looked a the magsafe tip and it did not have an indicator light lit. Then I figured it would just start charging automatically again when the battery hit 95%, then 90%, then 70%, but it never did start charging.

Then I unplugged the tip from the computer and then plugged it back in. Nada. No charging, no indicator light lit.

Only when I unplugged it from the socket at the wall and then plugged it back in did it start charging.

I have never had an issue with the wall socket, EVER.

It's a shot in the dark, but check out this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/905020/

EricWoods

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
Macbook pro charging problems

Hi,
I have a similar case, so maybe the two might lead to more enlightenment...

My macbook pro is indicating "not charging", but when checking the % of capacity, it is charging, because the charge is increasing....

The indicator light on my charger connection has been off for a couple of weeks now, after being wrong for a while too. When I disconnect, screen brightness is corrected, so the charger seems to get recognized.

Just now, it wouldn't even start up while connected to the charger. I had to wait for 1 hour before it finally did.

BTW, I bought my second battery 3 months ago after the first began to malfunction (not a limited capacity like what you would expect, but malfunction like crashing unexpectedly and instantly on and of the charger!)

Is this another crappy battery, of a faulty charger? I've got a feeling the status of the battery is not being read properly, which would be my second in a row, just after warranty. (Starting to see a pattern here..)

Grz Eric

Raied

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
Wow this is soo good to read! atleast i am not alone.
I just bought a 13inch pro, less than a month ago and I am experiancing the same problem :(.

The charger just randomly stopped working. Like the brightness of the laptop went down and the little indicator light went off too. I ddint know why, so i tried moving the brick around and still nothing. Then I had to unplug and replug it. It happened twice today and it happened again as I am typing! I gotta get this checked.

acribb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
I swapped my faulty charger that came with my laptop at the Apple store around April 28th, and haven't had a problem since.

Raied

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
Yea I am probably going to go this weekend. This sucks man. A problem so soon :(

macpro03

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2016
Its not a charger issue the same happened to me. Its a glitch with symbols. Restart your mac and it should be 100%

DaBrownCO

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2017
Its not a charger issue the same happened to me. Its a glitch with symbols. Restart your mac and it should be 100%

I am also having this problem. I've only had my 2017 MacBook Pro for a couple of months, but don't use it that often. Plugged in, battery charger symbol is on, and it charges while lid is open and I'm working. However, closing lid or letting it close down, one would expect to come back and have it at 100%. Not the case.

I do have an external drive plugged in for TimeMachine back ups so I'm wondering if that is the issue. Also, I'm wondering if it may be a port issue.

Thanks.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I am also having this problem. I've only had my 2017 MacBook Pro for a couple of months, but don't use it that often. Plugged in, battery charger symbol is on, and it charges while lid is open and I'm working. However, closing lid or letting it close down, one would expect to come back and have it at 100%. Not the case.

Nah, it's going to cycle up and down a little bit, while it's plugged in. It's good for the battery.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Guys. You are responding to a 2010 thread. Make a new one if you want to talk about a 2017 MBP. Different connector, different charging system, ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.